Heston 3d F-11D Rifle holster mount

Curious if anyone on here who's purchased Heston's F-11D rifle, if they've modded the holster plate by changing to a real metal one, or drilling into the gaps and adding screws in order to secure it to the holster itself...

I asked him if he had any suggestions and he said the plastic shouldn't splinter, but the integrity could be compromised as there is infill inside the plastic which would be drilled through...

just looking for any tips/advice, thanks!

I'm not intimate with Hestons mounting plate. But from my own designs and knowing 3D printing, I recommend to everyone buying my pistols to upgrade to an aluminum mounting plate. 

I believe Heston uses PLA which I personally would worry about it cracking if you drilled into (the stuff can be brittle). Now take that with a grain of salt as I actually don't know. And I do want to emphasize I do not know (not trying to step on anyones toes here). Just letting you know what my gut feeling.

I print my mounting plate in ABS, but I refer to it as a "mounting plate template" since ABS is equally terrible as it tends to flex a little when its printed in such a thin piece.

Metal. But then I tend to error on the side of going stronger than it needs to be.

I'm not intimate with Hestons mounting plate. But from my own designs and knowing 3D printing, I recommend to everyone buying my pistols to upgrade to an aluminum mounting plate. 

I believe Heston uses PLA which I personally would worry about it cracking if you drilled into (the stuff can be brittle). Now take that with a grain of salt as I actually don't know. And I do want to emphasize I do not know (not trying to step on anyones toes here). Just letting you know what my gut feeling.

I print my mounting plate in ABS, but I refer to it as a "mounting plate template" since ABS is equally terrible as it tends to flex a little when its printed in such a thin piece.

Metal. But then I tend to error on the side of going stronger than it needs to be.

Honestly, I don't think having the mounting plate in aluminium would make any difference (except in term of accuracy). The plate isn't the part that really withstand the weight of the blaster when hung to the thigh, it's the folding stock behind it (white part under the barrel).

I've seen people drilling into the infill of the folding stock and using screws to suspend their blaster with success. However if you're really worried about integrity of the part, my advice would to make a bigger hole than needed, then fill it with a body filler putty (putty with an hardener) and drill your final holes into the hardened putty.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

I was thinking along the same lines as Germain, although I was thinking that you could fill the area around the screws with DEVCON, or CA glue, or even E6000 (though the cure time would likely be insane), but then you'd have no way to remove those screws if you needed to. Anybody with actual smarts care to chime in on this notion?