JAFO'S FIRST ORDER STORMTROOPER BUILD (Jimmiroquai)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Bryan.

I didn't need to shape mine. Wondering if you have the v3 kit - I have v4 and the knee plates were drastically different and more formed.

Wondering if you could get a set from Jim or find someone who could 3D print a new set based on a design.

Cheers

Darren

9 hours ago, JAFO said:

Hey Bryan.

I didn't need to shape mine. Wondering if you have the v3 kit - I have v4 and the knee plates were drastically different and more formed.

Wondering if you could get a set from Jim or find someone who could 3D print a new set based on a design.

Cheers

Darren

Yeah it's a V3 kit.

Wonder if it's possible to shape the knee plates with heat? Maybe with a hairdryer slowly?

Thanks for the tips I'll have a think and decide.

7 hours ago, TK3645 said:

Yeah it's a V3 kit.

Wonder if it's possible to shape the knee plates with heat? Maybe with a hairdryer slowly?

Thanks for the tips I'll have a think and decide.

Try it on a piece of scrap first. I did and the flexible fibreglass did NOT like it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ensi said:

Try it on a piece of scrap first. I did and the flexible fibreglass did NOT like it.

Thanks for the heads up!

I was going to try it on some scrap pieces but you've confirmed my fear.

Thinking now I will try the bungee cord rig behind the knee plate (as other members have used this method) and see if it curves more around the outer edges.

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, TK3645 said:

Darren,

Any chance you could re-post the picture of the officer pauldron (underside) to show the magnet placements/self adhesive trim.

Cheers

Hey Brian!

Here you go...

I double stacked the magnets but you could easily use abs pieces of Apoxie Sculpt to build up height. You want them as flush to the edge of the cauldron as possible. 

I also added Velcro circles (the soft side) to prevent scuffing on the armour.

Hope that helps :duim:

IMG_1026.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Hey Brian!

Here you go...

I double stacked the magnets but you could easily use abs pieces of Apoxie Sculpt to build up height. You want them as flush to the edge of the cauldron as possible. 

I also added Velcro circles (the soft side) to prevent scuffing on the armour.

Hope that helps :duim:

IMG_1026.jpg

Thanks mate.

Hey Darren,

I'm starting to think about the voice options?

Do you have a setup or are you a silent trooper..Lol

I was thinking of a standard aker amp 1505 (placed in the smaller pouch of the belt) and mic? Plus the trooper accent!

Or I could use my RomFX setup as per my OT TK and disable the static burst feature?

Cheers

Hi mate

I have built my own system but don't yet have it in play. I started it before my kit arrived then put it aside to focus on kit/approval.

I decided to create a set-up that would pump sound through the helmet vents. I bought an Aker, took it apart then wired it up to two old laptop speakers. The speakers are affixed directly under the vents. It sounds great even without going through any processor or app.

I'm no electronics expert but it was very easy to assemble. If you want pics let me know and I might set-up an online folder rather than repost here.

I'm just doing some mods to my bucket and will then be working to put it all in place and give it a good run at a troop.

Your set-up sounds perfectly good. Could you use a Bluetooth transmitter/receiver kit?

All the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 hours ago, JAFO said:

Hi mate

I have built my own system but don't yet have it in play. I started it before my kit arrived then put it aside to focus on kit/approval.

I decided to create a set-up that would pump sound through the helmet vents. I bought an Aker, took it apart then wired it up to two old laptop speakers. The speakers are affixed directly under the vents. It sounds great even without going through any processor or app.

I'm no electronics expert but it was very easy to assemble. If you want pics let me know and I might set-up an online folder rather than repost here.

I'm just doing some mods to my bucket and will then be working to put it all in place and give it a good run at a troop.

Your set-up sounds perfectly good. Could you use a Bluetooth transmitter/receiver kit?

All the best emoji106.png

Or you can buy my audio kit ;) lol, JK.

Nice work on the Jimmi armor, just finished one for a garrison mate. He loves it. 

4 hours ago, JAFO said:

Hi mate

All the best emoji106.png

Not sure about the Bluetooth transmitter/receiver. I have always used a wired mic but I guess a wireless system would work.

Thanks for the heads up with your set up...sounds a good plan.

Have you not trooped the FO Tk yet?

Have you not trooped the FO Tk yet?

I have but things like fans and audio were put on the back burner so I could get finished and approved.

To be honest, I lasted the six-hours just fine without all the ancillary stuff but I'll still put them in. I've decided to spray my bucket with the same paint as my kit so will do it all after that.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
Another little side project was the Pauldron. Not essential to approval but something I decided to add in to the mix.
I purchased mine from TrooperBay. Easy to work with and readily available. Some question its size but I think it's a great starting place. It arrives as a formed styrene piece that needs some initial trimming.

IMG_2786_zps7nnuflyp.jpg&key=1f9e4ca7534233722f7c3c2a1512ba9fa2bada1d7f6c0c7ed4c887392546049c

IMG_2790_zpslgu1hr79.jpg&key=5f05250e0e68bb9dcaa425b28fb844a34cb30888c18ba075459e9c60a4a56a6f

Once trimmed I gave it a quick sand to ready for priming. I used Rust-Oleum grey primer, as recommended, and it gave a great finish.

IMG_2792_zpstavyj1ch.jpg&key=ed54aa442e88871003136dbf742d9614c9da1c09c806e14989ec4152b80cd33f

Next up, a coat of Rust-Oleum Satin Black.

IMG_2795_zpsigcsyrcw.jpg&key=f39fe5e0fb0546207d7a3a0a234971451d908c521fb7afa5b1bb31588ba0853e

And then I masked off in preparation for a coat of Rust-Oleum Colonial Red.

IMG_2797_zpsoz9eqfhp.jpg&key=72d62fd1cf3686881331739d0f7bf9ad9268ffce7b35dd2d89f1984b0eb289e4

IMG_2848_zps7andv3ak.jpg&key=8529ed6c4f69b843e0458f72c52c10938ba981328604162ad7fa66acf802b6dc

The finish was great but my masking sucked. I had to do a bit of a repair job but I'm happy enough for now.

I’ve been looking for your plastic sign and leather mod you did for your Trooperbay pauldron. The red alone looks good. I’m guessing the dimensions are a bit small. Did you clear the pauldron after painting? And where might I find some info on said modification?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I’ve been looking for your plastic sign and leather mod you did for your Trooperbay pauldron. The red alone looks good. I’m guessing the dimensions are a bit small. Did you clear the pauldron after painting? And where might I find some info on said modification?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey Chris! Yes, the Pauldron is a little small. I did paint and coat the original version in red but it chipped during a troop after it was knocked odd. It was this incident that led me to upsize the Pauldron and add the leather.

I have sent you a link via Messenger to my Pauldron update Flickr Gallery.

• Like 1