Another HWT Backpack From Spain

Yiyo

Hi extended family!

This will be my HWT backpack build thread, so I hope I can get as much help from you as possible!

My backpack will be on the smaller side compared to others in an attempt to recreat the BF series where they actually carry a thermal detonator underneath the pack.

I would really appreciate as much constructive criticism as possible.

I am basing my build on Bowman's backpack (colleague from the Spanish Garrison) and input from Tony's build thread (ukswrath). Bowman's pack is shown below :)df581dcb5378c80b966705cc88d1c337.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oil pan received today from Germany:

45f686b829c99314118030cca5b6029b.jpg9c74584fd8573a5b5be1dc4b09cc6605.jpg

Dimensions are approx: depth = 130mm, width = 300mm & height = 510mm.

Edited by YIYO

That's a nice looking pack that Bowman built!  I noticed that he did not use a ribbed shoulder bridge on the vertical black tube, though.  While not necessarily a requirement, I feel it is an integral part of the pack.  I didn't have one to spare on my build, so I ended up making one out of spare ABS I had, and it worked out fine.  Best of luck on your build, Tom, and if I can be of any help just let me know, future HWT!

• Like 1

That's a nice looking pack that Bowman built! I noticed that he did not use a ribbed shoulder bridge on the vertical black tube, though. While not necessarily a requirement, I feel it is an integral part of the pack. I didn't have one to spare on my build, so I ended up making one out of spare ABS I had, and it worked out fine. Best of luck on your build, Tom, and if I can be of any help just let me know, future HWT!

Thanks for your reply!

Are you referring to this piece below? I just realised this was his initial pack and added later, not sure how I can recreate this as cash is running low - any help on understanding how you did it?

4ffc04e4621dab45561d9705f384a8d2.jpg

Mine looks almost exactly like the one you show in the photo, Tom.  I just used some spare ABS pieces and CA (super) glue.  Here is how I did it:

1.  Cut out the main (back) piece to size, sand the edges smooth.

2.  Have a clean, dry dish towel ready.

3.  Have the large (unpainted) PVC pipe nearby, and immerse the back piece in a VERY hot water bath for a few minutes or so to soften it.

4.  Using a set of tongs, remove it from the water, and place it on the PVC pipe in the correct position.

5.  Using the dish towel, (doubled over) press firmly on it to "mold" it to the shape of the pipe.  It will be HOT, so be careful not to burn yourself.  

6.  Once you get it to conform to the shape, (it may take a few tries) run cold water over it to set the shape.

7.  Cut out the strips of ABS to the correct size and sand the edges.  Also sand the backs for better adhesion.

8.  Attach the now curved back piece to the pipe with either CA glue or E-6000.  Allow it to dry completely.

9.  Attach the strips to the back piece with CA glue after marking where they should go.

10.  You may need to hold each strip while it dries, or use elastic bands to hold them in place.

If you notice that the strips are separating or not conforming to the shape, you can heat them up and bend them slightly if needed.  It depends on the thickness of the ABS.

You will notice that I suggested attaching the plate to the tube before painting it black.  This is so the plate will adhere better.  You will need to mask off the plate with painters tape before painting it, and I also suggest sanding down the PVC tube, cleaning it thoroughly, and then using enamel spray paint for better durability.

• Like 1

If you don't have any spare ABS, I would try asking some of your Garrison mates.  Someone is sure to have some they can spare.

Also another hint...  For the endcaps of the tube, these will be "reducing" couplings, and you will need to cut the smaller end off.  Be sure to attach them to the PVC pipe with PVC glue before cutting them.  It makes it much easier... trust me.

• Like 1

I just used pcs. Cut from the same pipe. I cut three 1/2" rings for the raised ribs and a pc. For the main control pad. The curve matches right up. Took about 15 mins to cut all the pcs. down.

• Like 1

I just used pcs. Cut from the same pipe. I cut three 1/2" rings for the raised ribs and a pc. For the main control pad. The curve matches right up. Took about 15 mins to cut all the pcs. down.

Magni, I'm useless at Tapatalk - have you got a build thread?

Pretty sure you have as I believe we have talked recently, but I can't find it to see a pic of your antena :(

Sorry I only have my EIB application for photos. I'm on page 2 now in the EIB section. Hope it helps

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Have also been preparing the electrical boxes for filling and sanding012ed06a7ff50f3905025d2150a216b4.jpgd474c7e4579171b49883be4eb0c73bae.jpgf439298fc05600b0b0e62ab711ab5a7c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk08c7e5259c5a622c463e3bdaa667505d.jpgab762e4160df5bcebbcedc91d359d5ef.jpg

Edited by YIYO

In my opinion the scale is a little off. The top part of the box I think the borders need to be a little slimmer and the bottom should have a little more "space" inside the borders.

Here is a screenshot for reference:

01035c48783b0eceecfdd2e8eb31b33d.jpg

All that being said, its probably still passable. Again these are just my opinions and all that really matters is your GML.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In my opinion the scale is a little off. The top part of the box I think the borders need to be a little slimmer and the bottom should have a little more "space" inside the borders.

Here is a screenshot for reference:

01035c48783b0eceecfdd2e8eb31b33d.jpg

All that being said, its probably still passable. Again these are just my opinions and all that really matters is your GML.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Will cut down and repost! Thanks!

Does this look better?89a5e899fbe4323854d914d9d1053ded.jpg

Obviously needs trimming - I found this 2mm foamex in the house :) Pretty sure that with priming and painting it will withstand.

Do you think I can use this as my vent box? It will stick well and doesn't weigh at all.

Would you prefer I cut the small surrounding edge off or can Inuse as it is?

14c6d085afcd524d638d7312ba231043.jpgabeba12d4eaec205e267c758273a1926.jpgef8ed81b0c7dd97932429df4b8aa5209.jpg

Edited by YIYO

Are you using the clear part outward and lid against pack? How does that box size up with others on pack?

Hi Magni! Yes, clear part upwards and it sizes up more or less like the BF pic posted by Allan1313 above. I am going for the smaller pack compared to others. Will get some sizing pics up this weekend so you folk can give me some input, but I feel it's going to look good ;)

Edited by YIYO
  • Like 1

That should be ok. The round container looks a little tall but should be good. The buttons from the screen grab looks square not round and the three arch's look pointed where they should look half round instead. These are only my observations. Looking good though and love the progress!

That should be ok. The round container looks a little tall but should be good. The buttons from the screen grab looks square not round and the three arch's look pointed where they should look half round instead. These are only my observations. Looking good though and love the progress!

Thanks Magni! I have changes the top buttons and boxes, will get a pic up tomorrow - been busy finishing the armor for Expert/Centurion level :)

• Like 1