HWT Pack Build Thread

I am just getting started on my Heavy Weapons Trooper Pack Build.  I recently obtained approval on my first build TK ANH Stunt and am now going to convert to HWT.

I will be posting each and every step in order to get any comments or feedback or so this can help someone after me, with their build.  I am using ideas from others, including Ukswrath, so my pack may look a little different.

7/1/2015 - Today I ordered the oil pan, plastic containers, and radio antenna.

Oil Drain (22"x 15"x 4") or similar $17, Amazon > http://www.amazon.co...o Oil Drain Pan

Plastic Container kit $23, Amazon > http://www.amazon.co...Food Saver Set)

1' Radio Antenna (rubber or plastic) with swivel base, $9+. Napa Auto. http://www.napaonlin...5903_0361152922

This weekend, I will be going to the hardware store to get some more of the supplies and get started with painting.  I will post as many pictures as I can during this process.

GREAT to see another HWT in the making, Shawn!  I am glad to see that you ordered the Pop-It storage containers...  the sizes are perfect!  I am assuming that you got the idea for these from Tony's (ukswrath) build, http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/30036-heavy-weapons-backpack-build-part-2/ the same as I did, but.....  I would try to follow his method of using them exactly.  It may seem like a bit of extra work, but the results are well worth it, I promise you.  If I can be of any help, just PM me.

GREAT to see another HWT in the making, Shawn!  I am glad to see that you ordered the Pop-It storage containers...  the sizes are perfect!  I am assuming that you got the idea for these from Tony's (ukswrath) build, http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/30036-heavy-weapons-backpack-build-part-2/ the same as I did, but.....  I would try to follow his method of using them exactly.  It may seem like a bit of extra work, but the results are well worth it, I promise you.  If I can be of any help, just PM me.

Thanks for the info.  Ukswrath HWT thread is definately what I am going to use.  Tomorrow I am going to Lowe's to get some of the supplies so I can start painting.

7/6/2016

While I await for the bulk of parts and materials to be delivered, I am working on some miscellaneous items.

The first item is the tube that is on the right side of the pack.

Just so everyone knows, I am mainly using Ukswrath's HWT pack picture and build thread to build my HWT pack.  Since I may need to very my pack a little, based on material and part availiabilty, I am also using the CRL image for reference.

Both images are shown below:

Ukswrath HWT Pack

Ukswrath%20Pic_zpsimc2wkdn.jpg

CRL HWT Pack

300px-HWT_Backpack_zpsido49vyr.jpg

I purchased a 2 foot long 2 inch diameter PVC pipe and (2) 2" PVC slip caps.

Applied 2 coats of black primer spray paint (rust-o-leum).

Next I will be glueing the caps and cutting as required.

HWT%20Pic%2001_zps0dd1niwi.jpg

7/10/2016

Painted the oil pan flat black.

Cutting the 3 boxes (pop it boxes) lips off.  Sanding down and preparing for paint.

Antenna came in and preparing.

Headed on vacation now and will really get things moving when I return in 1 week.  Ready to get it completed.

HWT%20Pic%2003_zpseax0fqfc.jpg

• Like 2

7/17/2016

Back from vacation and ready to get this thing completed.

I trimmed the 3 clear boxes with a hack saw (yes, a hacksaw).  I tried an exacto knife, but it was taking too long.

I cut the lips off and then sanded with a power sander.  See picture below:

HWT%20Pic%2004_zpsumhbzwuk.jpg

Once sanding was complete, I took the thick plastic sign (No Parking Sign - already painted one side black) and traced around them.  I did not round the corners, I left them square (90 degrees).  This will be the base plate for the boxes.

HWT%20Pic%2005_zpspacj5sit.jpg

Then I glued the base plates to the open side of the clear boxes (the side I just sanded down).  I used the E6000 glue and place weights on the boxes to keep pressure on.  After about 6 hours, I took them off.(see below)

HWT%20Pic%2006_zps3tjihl95.jpg

Once dry, I took the remainder of the "No Parking Sign" and cut the parts for the top of the boxes.  This time I did round the corners.  Traced the other side of the boxes. I then glued the plates to the bottom portion of the clear plastic containers.  This will become the face plate.

HWT%20Pic%2007_zpssknywzef.jpg

The glue is only glued to the paint. So I'm not saying it could fail but that's not as strong as scuffing plastic and bonding to that. Give em a tug. If they stay, cool. Nothing worse then something falling off while trooping. I know my pack gets a workout. Especially with door frames. Doh!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

7/28/2016

Finally back at it after a nice vacation.  I am wanting to finish this within the next 30 days, so I plan on stepping it up.

Once the glue dried on the sign backing, the screws were installed.  Only installed screws in the large and small box.

HWT%20Pic%2008_zpsf3xgwa9j.jpg

Once this was completed, using the flat black spray paint, I painted all 3 containers.  Did about 3 coats to ensure good coverage.

While I waited on the paint to dry, I cut out a 4" x 6-3/4" sheet from the "For Sale Sign".  This will be used to create the the design on the lower right face plate.

HWT%20Pick%2009_zpsfmhezrdw.jpg

I then cut out the 3 arches to match the HWT pack design.  I did not really use any specific dimensions.  I just made sure they were evenly spaced with the same amount of border.

HWT%20Pic%2010_zpswccr8jnp.jpg

At this point, I glued the face plate to the top of the container and painted again.  Need a little final touchup, but overall turned out good.

HWT%20Pic%2011_zpsntcubypp.jpg

More to follow...

8/4/2016:

Started on the faceplate for the button box I call it.  Chamfered the edges and painted gray.

20160730_141335_zps81ct7b2y.jpg

Painted the clear bumpers black.

20160731_204005_zps0mm13nsp.jpg

Once dried, glued everything together.

20160731_204443_zpsczgtz8te.jpg

Began working on the radio box.

Purchased the photo box from Micheals.

Cut it down to size, per Ukswraths tutorial.

Removed hardware and sanded down.

20160730_142240_zps2alq5lpg.jpg

Drilled screws into the 4 corners.

In lieu of black construction paper, I used a plastic "For Sale" sign.  Cut pieces to correct sizes and glued to box.

20160804_060035_zpsxl6yxxpw.jpg

Applied 1 cost of the flat black paint.  Glued on plastic bottle caps.  Set to dry.

20160804_061058_zpsx5msfjou.jpg

Will paint the entire box tonight

Edited by CrookKnight

8/7/2016:

Found some time to work on the build today.  Below is the picture of the finished product for the radio.  I was going to clean it up some more, but I like the imperfect look.

20160807_171937_zpsziwm0vng.jpg

Next I worked on the vent plate, so I call it.  Not sure if that is the name or not.

First I cut out the center and glued the first vent into position.

20160807_153022_zpshqxun8je.jpg

Between each vent, i cut about a 1/8" strip to allow the bottom vent to raise up, giving the appearance that the vents were functioning.

Once I saw this appeared to be working, I glued the others into place.  Below is the finished product.  Getting closer to completing this thing.

20160807_171551_zpsxmq39utl.jpg

20160807_171545_zps4zrqdalx.jpg

A little cleanup and I should be good to go.  I hope.

8/15/2016:

Getting very close to being complete.

Created the center canister from a handiwipes container.  Sanded it down and applied base gray paint.  2 Coats.  Taped off canister to allow for black rectangle.  Drilled in screws.  Applied many coats.  When I removed the tape, I had a few issues with the paint being pulled off.  So I had to re-apply some paint.  It is not perfect, but it will do for now.  I will apply it to the base of the pack with velcro so when I create a replacement, I can easily switch them out.

20160813_080149_zpsxmoorhve.jpg

Next I worked on the cone portion.  I followed Ukswrath thread the best I could.  I took a tapered (SpongeBob) cup, cut it per his measurements.  Cut sign material for top portion and used a coke bottle cap for the top.  For the cone, I made it out of the sign material, and connected to the cup.  I will also be connecting this to the base of the pack using velcro, so it can be removed when transporting.

20160813_080117_zpsfqla6tbk.jpg

I added the backpack staps and connected the antenna.  Below are 2 pictures of the current state of the pack.  Still have to add the piece of shoulder strap to it (purchased a heat gun so I could accomplish this).  Have some clean-up to do.  Will take final pictures when complete so I can get some feedback on the fit.

I appreciate any feedback anyone may have.

IMG_20160814_193100%201_zps8yrymrlf.jpg

20160814_131748_zpskiszgrvy.jpg

Anyone know how to keep the side tube secure on the side of the oil pan?  I have glued and used velcro and it keeps slipping off.  Also, I am having trouble keeping the cup/cone attached to the oil pain.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Finally finished the pack.  See picture below.  Will replace the center canister (gray canister with the black stripe) shortly.  

Have a little bit of cleanup on the side tube where some glue leaked over.

Thank you to everyone for your feedback and most of all Ukswrath's build thread.

20160820_133101_zpssojp7xzp.jpg

• Like 1