Improving visibility.

Does anybody have any tips for improving the ability to see out of one of these lids?<br>

For example is it better to go with the hard hat liner over the padding to position the helmet at a better angle to look through the eyes? Perhaps somebody has found a better method for trimming the eyes or mounting the lenses that improve your ability to see?<br>

I'm guess this is just the way that it is, and probably one of the many reasons we need handlers.

• Like 1

When I first built my bucket, I installed a 1 inch thick foam liner in the top, as this seemed to be the popular way to do it.  I noticed after my first troop that I was constantly tilting it forward just to be able to see anything below the horizon point, so I removed the top liner and bingo!  I can see MUCH better 

• Like 1

I feel visibility will always be limited, outside of trying to maximize the little we have by adjusting the padding or straps inside.

I actually stepped on/kicked a child last time I was wearing my suit. Right in front of her dad and mom :shok:. She must have been right next to me as I tried to side step. She was staring me down as she walked away, haha. I apologized of course but still, never feels good.

• Like 2

A chin strap definitely helps. I have a hero bucket, with bubble lenses so my field of view is even less that a regular stunt TK as you can only look directly out the front otherwise you see distortion and your eyes will get strained really fast. The chin strap holds the helmet firm and I've learned to turn my head to look not my eyes. 

• Like 4

I feel visibility will always be limited, outside of trying to maximize the little we have by adjusting the padding or straps inside.

I actually stepped on/kicked a child last time I was wearing my suit. Right in front of her dad and mom :shok:. She must have been right next to me as I tried to side step. She was staring me down as she walked away, haha. I apologized of course but still, never feels good.

I dunno. For all I know you might have really poor cardio or be a super chicken but I bet you could have still beaten her up if nobody was watching. I kid, I kid... Wasn't like you did it on purpose. This is actually one of the things that terrifies me about trooping and what prompted me to post the question after reading about somebody else clocking some poor kid with their blaster. I think I'm going to keep mine holster.
  • Like 1

Yeh, the small kids thing is a bit of a challenge :D. The last troop I was on, I wondered why my legs wouldn't move, and a very small kid, maybe 4 years old, had clamped his arms around my legs :D. Sometimes the only way you can see 'em is by shifting your eyes downward and looking through the frown or under the rim of the helmet.<br>

Always check for klingons before moving 'anything' :D

• Like 3

I dunno. For all I know you might have really poor cardio or be a super chicken but I bet you could have still beaten her up if nobody was watching. I kid, I kid... Wasn't like you did it on purpose. This is actually one of the things that terrifies me about trooping and what prompted me to post the question after reading about somebody else clocking some poor kid with their blaster. I think I'm going to keep mine holster.

Oh, I definitely could have taken her. It took all my self control to not raise her above my head, screaming like a tusken raider in front of everyone. Just to show dominance, you know.

rcGpJ2iA.jpg

And I did narrowly miss someone as I was un-holstering my E-11 for a picture.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Where did you get your chin strap or did you make it? Could you post pictures?

Hi, I did make it myself. Just a basic 1" wide elastic strap, attached to the ear bolts inside.

I've since added more padding to front and rear, which hold the helmet in place just as well as the strap.

• 1 month later...

The main trick for me was getting the top pad thickness right. Ordered a set of MICH / ACH pads, and the 3/4" top pad had me tilting the helmet forward all the time. Removed it, and it sat too low. Solution was a 3/8" green foam pad cut from a sheet of remnant from JoAnn Fabrics, and black automotive fabric glued to the front of it.

Just like the rest of the suit, tailor to fit. Chin strap helps a lot too. Made mine removable by adding a snap plate on each side between the foam covering the ear screw and the cheek tear. 

Edited by vettereddie

I've messed with the military pads and they never worked out well. When i got my TM Hero helmet  it came with the star shape of 1" foam for padding and a chinstrap. Honestly its the most comfortable padding I've tried. I have it in my Sandtropper helmet and in my Tusken Raider.

X4I41LV.jpg

I used the military pads but not the top one. One narrow one on each side of my forehead and a trapezoid one on each side of the back of my head. It locks in pretty good and with a chin strap it is snug and I can see pretty well. 

Except for the 3' traffic cone in the middle of the sidewalk Halloween night. Honestly, who puts a traffic cone in the middle of a sidewalk.

I'm mounting the hardhat liner in mine. I know some don't like those, but I wear a hard had at work all day and I'm used to it. Plus I have the experience of being able to making it more comfortable. While I haven't tried it in my bucket, I can say if adjusted correctly, a hardhat liner is quite stable.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm mounting the hardhat liner in mine. I know some don't like those, but I wear a hard had at work all day and I'm used to it. Plus I have the experience of being able to making it more comfortable. While I haven't tried it in my bucket, I can say if adjusted correctly, a hardhat liner is quite stable.

I have a hard hat liner in my TIE and Scout helmets. I like them better than padding because the helmet is more secure and less hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk