48" TFA Action Figure conversion

This might help..

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

I recently did this for my son and it was pretty simple. I unscrewed the figured and took apart what I could. I then trimmed off all the black plastic at the joints and I used my lexan scissors and a grinding attatchment on my Drexel to take out all the support plastic inside it. This does take a while to do. To put it back together I used the same methods that is used on my OT TK. I butt jointed the arms and legs together with e 6000 and then installed few few snaps in the chest, shoulder, forearms, and thighs to hold it together. I finished by giving it a custom paint job to make it more accurate and adding some magnets to hold the blaster to the leg where the holster should be. It turned out great!

• Like 1

I'm so gonna do this for my 6 year old son now.  I just bought one of these figures over at Kohls.com for a little over $50 with a 15% off coupon, and they're on clearance, too!  Go now if you're wanting one!  :)  Halloween is going to be so awesome this year!  

I recently did this for my son and it was pretty simple. I unscrewed the figured and took apart what I could. I then trimmed off all the black plastic at the joints and I used my lexan scissors and a grinding attatchment on my Drexel to take out all the support plastic inside it. This does take a while to do. To put it back together I used the same methods that is used on my OT TK. I butt jointed the arms and legs together with e 6000 and then installed few few snaps in the chest, shoulder, forearms, and thighs to hold it together. I finished by giving it a custom paint job to make it more accurate and adding some magnets to hold the blaster to the leg where the holster should be. It turned out great!

If you have any photos of this, please share!  Would love to see it.

Ok here are some pictures.  FYI the helmet is the piggy bank I found on amazon and the blaster is the one from the figure, I just extended the handle with some wood and extra plastic I had.

UQFyVgT.jpgFm1Bx1r.jpgxpb4sCk.jpgzyrcFxG.jpgZ3r6vUP.jpg

I hope this helps!

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021
  • Like 3

Oh, the calves were just like the traditional clam shell with velcro on the the inside to help hold it closed.  They were the most difficult part of the build in my opinion.  Again I hope this helps.

• Like 1

Ok here are some pictures.  FYI the helmet is the piggy bank I found on amazon and the blaster is the one from the figure, I just extended the handle with some wood and extra plastic I had.

And here are some pictures of the individual pieces with the strapping.  They may be more useful for you.

I hope this helps!

These are awesome, and definitely help a lot.  Thank you for sharing these.  Great work!!!

For the helmet, are the lenses transparent, or did you have to replace the lenses with something?

Edited by Cricket

Sorry I should have remembered to include pictures of the helmet.  Again this is a Piggy bank I got off of Amazon

I did look for another helmet but this was the best I could find and I was told by others that this would work.  I cut the bottom off and then cut out the eyes.  I then colored the eyes black so it looked good (I just used a sharpie) and then added a lens.  I used the same lens I used for my TK which I order from Trooperbay.  The lens is just pressure fit inside.  It was really easy.  I did not fill in the hole for the coins or paint the helmet as the paint did not adhere well to the vinyl of the helmet when I tested it on the scrap.  I think it still looks pretty good.  Here are some pictures of just the helmet.

IhzA3Mh.jpg

Again I hope this helps and if you have any improvements please let me know!

By the way I used 4 of those rare earth magnets (two on the holster and 2 on the blaster) to make the blaster stay in place.  It works pretty good unless he starts walking really fast.

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021
  • Like 1

Sadly, the bank helmet mod is looking to be a bit cumbersome, my kids unfortunately inherited my huge cranium

I need to trim out whatever I can around the eyes/lens and any high spots inside. I'll work on more this weekend.

It's nice practice for when my armor arrives though. Also hoping to piece together a lens kit from scrap on my armor kits I have coming in.

Thanks for the info here guys, my son is stoked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadly, the bank helmet mod is looking to be a bit cumbersome, my kids unfortunately inherited my huge cranium

I need to trim out whatever I can around the eyes/lens and any high spots inside. I'll work on more this weekend.

It's nice practice for when my armor arrives though. Also hoping to piece together a lens kit from scrap on my armor kits I have coming in.

Thanks for the info here guys, my son is stoked.

I purchased the Rubies 2-piece kids' TFA stormtrooper helmet and just modded it to my liking.  It's about $20-30 depending on where you get it.  It was even under $20 at one point when stores were clearing them out. 

With the two piece helmet/mask, I just used the same principles with the TK bucket build to make mods and adjustments.  And, it's large enough where my kids and I can even wear it.

Edited by hon143

If I can't get this to work, I was gonna pick one of those up. The reviews just put me off a bit, but yeah, I'm sure I can modify the Rubies helmet to be better/more durable.

Still going to try coring out some of the inside on the bank mod, maybe even shove a deflated mini basketball in there and heat up the whole helmet on a hot day in the car, and pump up the basketball slowly to try to expand it too.

If I can't get this to work, I was gonna pick one of those up. The reviews just put me off a bit, but yeah, I'm sure I can modify the Rubies helmet to be better/more durable.

Still going to try coring out some of the inside on the bank mod, maybe even shove a deflated mini basketball in there and heat up the whole helmet on a hot day in the car, and pump up the basketball slowly to try to expand it too.

If you weren't planning on modding the Rubies TFA helmet, it would be crappy. However, anyone here can mod it and make it decent. Edited by hon143

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...