Fieldmarshall build

fieldmarshall

I am hitting a brick wall trying to get real prisms made.... the casting will take time, 6 months or so   . It will be solid ,ill have to machine out the Id.....   I have been toying with the notion of useing opposing mirrors to allow vision through.??????

Any thoughts?   Anyone?

Would be interesting to know what the military paid for these during WW2...

Ive been drawing up the scope all day today . I trying to figure out how to divide  up the operations , there is alot of contours and blends . This scope is a little more challenging than the 38   . M19 has the side socket  that is offset.... The alum version may require some

filler before painting. I have discovered that builders love to have finish work and more assembly options than i thought .... Most i my future stuff will alllow for that.. The kits get the  most views.. I have started seeing tons of completed scopes and cylinder builds , im very impressed at there diversity and ingenuity ... Some of the weathering is very good...

I want the casting to be as real as possible , There looking into casting it in brass!  they  told me not to get my hopes up because the minimums were very large. It may be zinc or alum .
I should know more about that when the casting company has the quote back to me.  I dont want the replica to cost what a vintage one costs  LOL . These were high tech stuff back in the 40s  ,,, I believe they are still high tech .  I dont think

most modern scopes are made as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :salute:

I going to push the aluminum version to get things  going , ill start a new blog on my site at warmachinepaintball.com for the m19 as soon as i get some pics .... Any input is welcome

Yes, help is always good .  Everyone that follows this stuff has been a great influence.

What kind of plastic parts,,, does he make prisims?  Would be nice to see through this one... It would bring it to life!

Henry , Leave it to you to notice the super fine threads . Very tricky to make well . Aluminum tends to gall very easy...  Whoever had to do that by hand that deep in the tube was a good machinist. There was no cnc back then!  

Where did all the original guns and props from the film vanish too???   wheres the horde

Just as I thought, the prisms alone will be an entire project in itself, which is why I said "possible future upgrade". Honeywell was a large corporation that makes all kinds of stuff and they probably have an entire department specifically just for optics research & design at their disposal, perhaps even production. I work for a large automotive corporation, almost everything in our cars is designed and produced by companies the corporation owns. Even if the prisms and lenses were outsourced from another company they were definitely a custom design. Having resources like that is what made the production of these kinds of scopes possible. And you're totally right; "They don't make things like they used to" as the saying goes, especially considering these were machined manually by hand!

So much heart and care went into everything back then, especially for the war effort on the home front in factories like the Minneapolis Honeywell Regulator Co.

Chris I would just focus on replicating the main housing as perfect as you can for now, including the inside if at all possible. Making it function would definitely be an entire project in itself so I would put the prisms on the back burner for now and just focus on the main housing at this point. They will go so nicely as an option next to your M38 replicas, same goes with having both Hengstler logo options or different shapes of Power Cylinders. Troopers love having options to customize their kits how they see fit. Lets face it for the most part Stormtroopers all look the same, they have to because that's the rules. So what little flexibility we're allowed in these details is definitely appreciated and I think it's nice to see a little bit of variety. I would definitely push for Aluminum first but Brass would be a sweet option that's for sure! The lighter the blaster the better it is for trooping so Aluminum would probably be the most popular and affordable option, but there's always those guys who want real steel blasters with real brass scopes which is more accurate but obviously much heavier.

Mirrors could work, it's definitely possible. Combined with some magnifying lenses you may be able to simulate the scope effect but just be aware of inverted/upside down images when using lenses and mirrors, there is also a factor of pillow distortion to consider when configuring your lens set up.

And yes your threads look extremely accurate, I'm actually wondering if real lenses will screw into your replicas. There was a guy on here (TwnBrother) who found an entire unopened box of 24 brand new/old stock replacement lenses, both eye lenses and objective lenses. I couldn't believe it I had to purchase a set, even the quality of the unopened war time packaging was in amazing condition, the replacement lenses were packaged so well because they needed to make it out to the battlefield without being damaged in any way, layers upon layers of padding, paper and waxed canvas in a box also wrapped in some kind of waxed paper. Believe me they were sealed air tight and water proof for about 73 years, the box says "sealed and inspected in April of 1943". Perfect unused crystal clear replacement lenses complete with threaded rings! He is now sold out of the objective lenses and searching for more, but I believe he may still have some eye lenses left.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/34053-fs-m38-m40-eye-lens-assembly-and-objective-lens-assembly/

I could ask my friend but I'm not sure if he can make prisms with plastic. I assume those are made of glass or some kind of crystal? I just thought if there's any internal plastic parts in the M19 he could probably help replicate them fairly precisely for this project if needed. it was just a thought.

As for the original props I assume most of the deactivated non-firing props are in locked up tight in a vault deep within the Lucasfilm archives, located on skywalker ranch. Other than those rare ones that were given away to cast members after production as keepsakes, only to end up in an expensive auction for high profile private collectors along with a few stormtrooper helmets.

Then there is the live fire versions that were used by the actors to create a real muzzle flash on screen and the same thing is done in film today. Real guns are used to fire blank rounds to accomplish a realistic muzzle flash and recoil on screen. Those versions of the E-11 are most likely property of the Firearm Prop Master that worked on the film or set as they are always in charge of providing, handling, maintenance and training of the live fire props, fun fact: depending on the type of film they may also hire a war/weapons expert consultant to add direction for realism. Then there is the Bapty & Co. prop company, because of firearm importation laws Lucasfilm contracted a local company from the UK to provide E-11 props to be used in the scenes filmed in Tunisia for the Tatooine Sandtroopers, These blaster props were made up of part real deactivated sterling and part resin cast with a custom crudely grinded aluminum grip, and custom trigger guard with no trigger, this Bapty style blaster is strictly considered a Sandtrooper E-11 and not a Stormtrooper E-11. Bapty Co. is now called the "Prop Store of London" and they still have at least one of the original Tunisia Bapty blasters in their possession as the blasters were only rented and not bought they still retain legal ownership of it to this day, albeit in a slightly restored state. http://www.originalprop.com/blog/movie-guns/star-wars-episode-iv-a-new-hope/

Back to the topic of prisms, I'm not sure about other spotting scope prisms fitting but another member here on the forums by the name of Tino modified Brian's resin scope replica to use the prisms from a monocular. Tino does amazingly accurate blaster builds. Here's his post on the scope mod;

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/33912-phoenix-props-pipe-kit-with-completion-set-conversion-counter-inner-barrel-and-more-add-ons/?p=504695

Edited by SlyFox740
  • Like 3

Chris I seen the picture you posted of your M19, Wow! It really does appear to be in mint condition. The original finish is still there, especially where all the text is stamped into the eye ring, it looks like it's still new. Very Nice! A scope in that condition is impressive considering how much these things actually got banged around while in use. These azimuth finder telescopes for the Sherman M4 tanks were mounted on a small bracket inside the main gunner's periscope, these periscopes were mounted in the middle of the access hatch located directly above the main gunner seat. The driver and assistant driver/machine gunner also had the same hatches above their seats except those periscopes did not include the azimuth finder telescope inside as it was not needed for those positions. The hatch above the main gunner that had these M series telescopes mounted inside the periscope was the hatch that was used most often as it gave you access to the main turret at the center of the tank while the other two hatches gave access to the lower front body of the tank. Being the hatch used most often it would have constantly been flipped open and slammed shut pretty hard as it was a fairly heavy access hatch. Also the turret hatch was not always closed or "buttoned up" as soldiers referred to it, tank crew commanders would often flip the hatches open for a direct view of terrain while driving, and sometimes even direct view of enemies in the heat of battle. Talk about bravery!

Although these hatches were very heavy and solid you could imagine the excessive rattling caused to the periscope/telescope units mounted in the open unsecured hatch while driving through off road terrain.

You obviously scored a good one that was well taken care of not just after the war as an antique but also well taken care of during the war as sensitive high-tech military equipment. I'm sure some tanks saw much more action than others too which explains the rougher weathered/worn condition of many M series telescopes. Lots of rattling around across the battlefields of early 1940s Europe, and now for many of these scopes the added weathering of being mounted to an open rail on a hand held blaster for years instead of inside of an enclosed periscope box.

Edited by SlyFox740
  • Like 1

I havent given up ,, this is by far the toughest project so far. ill deep deep to find a manufacturer to make these ... There are so many replicas that look the part ,I would really love to get one fully functional.  That spotting scope that everyone is dismantleing , where is that thing made , i shouild contact them about there parts and pieces??? Maybe those prism will work? how close are the sizes?

Your right the first priorty is the  "cnc alum replica "  ill use it as a study to create and reseach building the functional one... Untill i have a good lens source. It will take some time for the casting mold to be made anyway.

I did open up the threads a little so when builders paint them the threads work a little better , but the pitch is still the same.

I should see the casting sample come in this week for the counter,,, if it looks ok i can pull the blaster trigger on that item. The internal metal piece can be stamped and "eagled".  The front plactic part can be molded fairly quick... This is easy compared to this m19 telescope..

Speaking of auctions ive never heard of a star wars auction with real stuff...   They did it with the star trek props and i should have gone ...

Yes ! the  condition is fantastic,,, I had to strape off some paint on the front screw heads to take it apart   AGGGGG ,,, had to be done. I keep it laid out on my RD desk  locked away so no one loses anything for me! LOL

Ill will spend the next week or so drawing the scope in prep for the mold making and cnc.

• Like 1

Battle conditions claimed most im sure,,, these are so damn rare. I put a huge bounty on them for which everyone who owns one loves me now LMAO . Early war tanks did not make it though the war so im sure they went to the scrap yard during and after the war.

The m38 is rare but still obtainable  , ive seen them hit 1500.$  Years ago i had the oportunity to buy a stuart tank in the mid 90's , i didnt ! thought what the hell am i going to do with that....  It sold a week later for 15,000 dollars. They go for alot more now. Wonder if it had a scope still in it????

The scope was made to hold up in a very bad enviroment . Like I have stated before, high tech then still high tech. They may make then cheaper but not better.

• Like 3

Chris, received my metalmite capacitor in the mail today! Wow! It looks amazing. A piece of art for sure. Please PM me your Paypal address so I can at least pay you back on the shipping. Really appreciate you sending me one and definitely would like to get a power cylinder kit at some point when funds get replenished. <br>

Thank you so much again. <br><br>

Just curious but is there a way the M19 can be cast hollow in a choice of metal by using wax castings? I have seen this method use and think that if you can make wax casting hollow and use a method of packed sand to encase the wax, then all you need is to pour the liquid metal in and the wax evaporates and the metal fills the cavity where the wax casting was. Maybe the light socket or one of the scooe feet could be where the pour spout is located.

• Like 1

Metalmite replica received!  :)

THANK YOU CHRIS!

This is a BEAUTIFULLY machined part and the caps are painted with incredible precision.

Considering the rarity of originals, these are WELL WORTH every penny for a complete set.

Here's a little game:

Which one is the replica?

30115118335_8a85e44e7f_b.jpg

30115118255_e9a67d63d6_b.jpg

Edited by usaeatt2
  • Like 2

Chris, received my metalmite capacitor in the mail today! Wow! It looks amazing. A piece of art for sure. Please PM me your Paypal address so I can at least pay you back on the shipping. Really appreciate you sending me one and definitely would like to get a power cylinder kit at some point when funds get replenished. <br>

Thank you so much again. <br><br>

Just curious but is there a way the M19 can be cast hollow in a choice of metal by using wax castings? I have seen this method use and think that if you can make wax casting hollow and use a method of packed sand to encase the wax, then all you need is to pour the liquid metal in and the wax evaporates and the metal fills the cavity where the wax casting was. Maybe the light socket or one of the scooe feet could be where the pour spout is located.

Your very welcome to the sample,, no need for paying the postage. Its gift to you for your input and help......

Single casting is a slow process, I'm getting a multi cavity mold made. All the hole and threads have to be done after its cast....   

I post a video of the laser scanning the scope for cadcam

http://www.warmachinepaintball.com/2016/09/30/m19-telescope/

http://www.warmachinepaintball.com/2016/07/30/20160730201607302016073020160730hengstler-counters/ 

• Like 1

Metalmite replica received! :)

THANK YOU CHRIS!

This is a BEAUTIFULLY machined part and the caps are painted with incredible precision.

Considering the rarity of originals, these are WELL WORTH every penny for a complete set.

Here's a little game:

#3 and I only know this because I already got mine and it's the cleanest one!

I agree these are beyond amazing! Saving my pennies for a complete set to build the ultimate replica blaster!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Metalmite replica received!  :)

THANK YOU CHRIS!

Here's a little game:

Bloody Nice,,,,, Thanks for the support!!!! with a little roughing up you really might not be able to tell!  Even a little time for the aluminum to oxidize will be great!   

This layout really shows my dilemma, I struggled with all the variation in profile... They are all hand made and every plug is different   AAGASGAGAGAGAgagggggggg! Really make coping a pain

Maybe one of these days ill get MY roll crimper perfected and really plug and crimp the ends.... Hell i could fill them with foil and sell them to amp builders   LMAO  (NO)

Check out the links i just laser measured the m19 scope and got the counter back from the caster today.. Been a great day today....

http://www.warmachinepaintball.com/2016/07/30/20160730201607302016073020160730hengstler-counters/%C2%A0

Edited by fieldmarshall

Bloody Nice,,,,, Thanks for the support!!!! with a little roughing up you really might not be able to tell!  Even a little time for the aluminum to oxidize will be great!   

This layout really shows my dilemma, I struggled with all the variation in profile... They are all hand made and every plug is different   AAGASGAGAGAGAgagggggggg!

Maybe one of these days ill get MY roll crimper perfected and really plug and crimp the ends.... Hell i could fill them with foil and sell them to amp builders   LMAO  (NO)

Check out the links i just laser measured the m19 scope and got the counter back from the caster today.. Been a great day today....

http://www.warmachinepaintball.com/2016/07/30/20160730201607302016073020160730hengstler-counters/%C2%A0

Nice collection!

Came accross the picture below several times since registering on the FISD, but to be honest: I never managed to find #31.

Meaning, I can clearly read the text at the right side, but not in the illustration. Maybe because of the resolution or something.

Anybody able to help? Thanks :) - and back to topic...

See no. 31:

Sherman.jpg

• Like 1

Came accross the picture below several times since registering on the FISD, but to be honest: I never managed to find #31.

Meaning, I can clearly read the text at the right side, but not in the illustration. Maybe because of the resolution or something.

That would be great in high res...

It´s not bad, don´t get me wrong - but it´s easily recognizeable, too. At least in such a direct comparision as on the pics.

Slighly smaller, and/or slighly differently shaped ends - and it could be a 10.

True,, his collection of resistors are different than mine,,, I scaled from pictures and my own collection of metalmite ..  Maybe one day ill own the real gun, or mouse droid from the movie  .. Best guess with all info and samples .. I value your opinion Thanks 

Since we are talking about a periscope, you can easily find it here:

Sherman1.jpg

• Like 2

I was talking to Chris about those periscopes yesterday, if you read the list on the right in that image above a few posts up. You can see only the main gunner's periscope on the turret actually has these telescopes inside of them, the other periscopes do not. #31 at the bottom right of the image above lists an M4 type periscope with the M38 telescope, where as #5 and #13 list M6 type periscopes which do not include the telescope inside. Because of this those M6 type periscopes are much more common and they pop up for sale more often and much cheaper everywhere, even on eBay. There were also more M6 type periscopes manufactured per tank, and only one M4 type periscope per tank which is another reason why they are less common.

• Like 1

I was talking to Chris about those periscopes yesterday, if you read the list on the right in that image above a few posts up. You can see only the main gunner's periscope on the turret actually has these telescopes inside of them, the other periscopes do not. #31 at the bottom right of the image above lists an M4 type periscope with the M38 telescope, where as #5 and #13 list M6 type periscopes which do not include the telescope inside. Because of this those M6 type periscopes are much more common and they pop up for sale more often and much cheaper everywhere, even on eBay. There were also more M6 type periscopes manufactured per tank, and only one M4 type periscope per tank which is another reason why they are less common.

The M4 periscope was used by the TC to verify range to target in conjunction with the gunner through his sight. The M6 periscopes were used by the driver and the .30 Cal MG bow gunner that did not use the or need ranging capability. The .30 Cal MG used tracers to range targets instead, usually every 5th round is a tracer so that the bow gunner could "walk" the tracers to the target. Periscopes were a favorite target of enemy snipers so there were usually several spare prisms carried in each tank. That is why there is many, many prisms still found to this day but the rest of the periscope is much harder to find. Also as technology improved most of these items were probably treated as junk by the service members or sold to allies like Greece. The M4 Sherman was used by countries like Egypt and Jordan into the 70's. They probably weren't treated as revered historical items as we see it today.

Jim - TK50899

• Like 3