Fieldmarshall build

fieldmarshall

LOL ive got that obsession also ,,, I love the collecting as it pertains to war history and movies .....

I wish I had more space to collect more!

Jim - TK50899

I was talking to Chris about those periscopes yesterday, if you read the list on the right in that image above a few posts up. You can see only the main gunner's periscope on the turret actually has these telescopes inside of them, the other periscopes do not. #31 at the bottom right of the image above lists an M4 type periscope with the M38 telescope, where as #5 and #13 list M6 type periscopes which do not include the telescope inside. Because of this those M6 type periscopes are much more common and they pop up for sale more often and much cheaper everywhere, even on eBay. There were also more M6 type periscopes manufactured per tank, and only one M4 type periscope per tank which is another reason why they are less common.

The M4 periscope was used by the TC to verify range to target in conjunction with the gunner through his sight. The M6 periscopes were used by the driver and the .30 Cal MG bow gunner that did not use the or need ranging capability. The .30 Cal MG used tracers to range targets instead, usually every 5th round is a tracer so that the bow gunner could "walk" the tracers to the target. Periscopes were a favorite target of enemy snipers so there were usually several spare prisms carried in each tank. That is why there is many, many prisms still found to this day but the rest of the periscope is much harder to find. Also as technology improved most of these items were probably treated as junk by the service members or sold to allies like Greece. The M4 Sherman was used by countries like Egypt and Jordan into the 70's. They probably weren't treated as revered historical items as we see it today.

Jim - TK50899

According to the image above #5 says the Tank Commander's periscope was an M6 variant WITHOUT the telescope. The same goes for #13 the driver and the bow machine gunner/assistant driver, both M6 periscopes without the telescope inside. The only M4 periscope with the telescope inside is directly above the main gunner's seat if you look at #31 on the diagram.

Edited by SlyFox740
  • Like 1

According to the image above #5 says the Tank Commander's periscope was an M6 variant WITHOUT the telescope. The same goes for #13 the driver and the bow machine gunner/assistant driver, both M6 periscopes without the telescope inside. The only M4 periscope with the telescope inside is directly above the main gunner's seat if you look at #31 on the diagram.

Not to sharp shoot or be a "smarty pants" you but you are incorrect. I offer this information only as friendly knowledge.

The gunner sat to the left of the main gun with the loader directly behind him, as illustrated by this photo. He had a more advanced sight that was bore sighted to the main gun, after 1943 it was the M70 before that it didn't have a telescopic sight.

bae915daec97d4f5fea08f6b9aab7826.jpg

The M4 periscope as stated before was used by the Tank Commander. The M6 on the commanders cupola was used for scanning 360 degrees around the tank while buttoned up.

Jim - TK50899

• Like 1

I had a 23 year career in the Army and am a bit of a WWII history nut. I collect mostly knowledge rather than stuff. If you watch Fury, the inside of that M4A3 is extremely accurate.

Jim - TK50899

• Like 1

I actually just watched Fury the other day, what a coincidence. I was going to say you can see these periscopes in a lot of scenes in that movie. For anyone who hasn't seen it I suggest checking it out. Good story focusing on a Sherman tank crew, starring Brad Pitt but the rest of the crew are great actors too.

Edited by SlyFox740
  • Like 2

Our unit provided training for Shia LeBouf prior to the filming of this movie. He sat next to me each afternoon while did our daily update briefing with the Battalion Commander. Got to wish him a happy birthday, which he spent tromping all over Gowen Field Idaho with us!

Jim - TK50899

Chris, will you be fabricating the mounting screws for the M19 scope too? I am looking for suppliers of screws similar for the m38 and M19 scopes but no luck finding very close matches.

Just as an interesting comparison, here is a photo of some WWII tank scopes from my collection.  

The long one is the actual gunner's sighting telescope. It is a model M70-F dated 1943 and is from an M4 Sherman armed with a 75mm gun.  You can see how much larger it is than the 1943 dated M38 telescope next to it.  

Behind them is a standard M6 periscope, which is the same size as the M4 periscope that the M38 was originally installed inside of.

Tank%20Scopes_zpsar2yzj4f.jpg

• Like 3

Just as an interesting comparison, here is a photo of some WWII tank scopes from my collection.  

The long one is the actual gunner's sighting telescope. It is a model M70-F dated 1943 and is from an M4 Sherman armed with a 75mm gun.  You can see how much larger it is than the 1943 dated M38 telescope next to it.  

Behind them is a standard M6 periscope, which is the same size as the M4 periscope that the M38 was originally installed inside of.

Tank%20Scopes_zpsar2yzj4f.jpg

Thats why i love this place!!!! amazing stuff

• Like 1

Sorry Chris I will get some pics up of those scope mounting screws soon, just haven't had time to do it. By the way, you mentioned on your blog you acquired two M19 scopes. That is amazing. Are they the same regarding the side light socket? Or do you now have the full circle and cut circle version as well? And now a 1943 M38. Super effort going out to get these scopes. Seemed really hard to come by anything these days but you managed to prove that wrong. I admire your spirit!

• Like 1