KB TFA TK armor building group

tk9948

I liked fb groups at first but i am getting slowly back to enjoy a forum format more. I am an a lot of groups and most of the time it gets too spammy with "fire and forget" posts whereas a forum has a kind of "use the search function" attitude.

So this is my vote for more info in the forum instead of fb.

• Like 1

I liked fb groups at first but i am getting slowly back to enjoy a forum format more. I am an a lot of groups and most of the time it gets too spammy with "fire and forget" posts whereas a forum has a kind of "use the search function" attitude.

So this is my vote for more info in the forum instead of fb.

The problem with FB groups is that non-501st people can get the impression that they are "official" when they are not, and then can get confused when there is different info in a 501st forum.

• Like 1

I agree. I have yet to find the perfect community platform for the current times though. Forums tend to be slow and cumbersome, while FB groups (and the likes, whatsapp, ect...) seem to be spammy and less persistent, but easy and fast to use. It is also less work required to share files, like pictures.

I would like to see how something like https://www.discourse.org/could work for a community like this.

I don't do FB too much drama, find the forums a better platform and had worked pretty well for me over 3 years and 17 costumes ;)

I personally won't do facebook groups, most have so many posts per day that my actual friends posts get swamped and it takes ages to find them...

This forum was started to be the one stop place to get your information, research and help for all stormtrooper related gear, taking it elsewhere is fragmenting the community and making it more difficult to find the information you are looking for (a bit like illusive droids) and for what reason? Certainly not to make things easier but more likely in fact so the people who start these groups can increase their own exposure on facebook and so they can feel good about themselves and "facebook important" (similar to facebook famous but generally without the "hi guys what's going on" moronic videos...

Any branching away from what is seen (quite rightly so) as the definitive stormtrooper reference source is in my opinion a step backwards...

I have a really bad feeling about this...

Certainly not to make things easier but more likely in fact so the people who start these groups can increase their own exposure on facebook and so they can feel good about themselves and "facebook important" (similar to facebook famous but generally without the "hi guys what's going on" moronic videos...

Any branching away from what is seen (quite rightly so) as the definitive stormtrooper reference source is in my opinion a step backwards...

I have a really bad feeling about this...

As I stated I did not start this FB group. If you don't want to partisipate it is up to you, but talking smack is even more disruptive as everyone feels they need to chime in.

I have been a member of the 501st for more than 10 years, making armor as long, and have never meet with such demeaning responses from other members than when I started posting here. All I wanted when growing up was a set of stormtrooper armor......when the day finally came it was way undersized and my disapointment was huge. Needless to say, I went in other directions in the 501 universe. I am a well known Clone, Imperial Knight and jedi/sith, as well as hovoc squad armor maker, and to be treated as if this is my first go round is quite disapointing. Someone here said I need to earn their respect.....my record should be more than adequate.  Again I did not start the FB page, if you dont care to join, or be a part, fine, just don't dog those that feel it a help to them, not everyone has access here.........

• Like 2

Kevin - how about we not through out the good with the bad. There have been positive comments too. As you know FB is just the way many get started, and some FB groups are pretty good. I've been in this game a long time too, and we should remember we are all on the same team. AWOL's comment aside, I don't believe anyone is saying it is a reflection on you, and it's true that some FB groups have been so poor as to put a bad light on the others.

Everyone - Kevin makes a great point: making personally critical remarks on Kevin or opining in the negative without clarification is highly off-putting, and counter-productive to what this forum is all about. I know it's easy especially before morning coffee kicks in or being on the keyboard overly long in to the night to treat forum threads as if they were FB posts, but before hitting that POST button it may be best to re-read what you type and try to see it from the OPs point of view. I know I've been guilty of this too, so this is as much a reminder for myself as it is for others.

Kevin - it was the right thing to post up about the FB page. As you note, if people don't want to join, they don't have to.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Thanks Kevin for this post.  Just received a kit from SurfInTroop with your kit.  I just applied on fb and am looking to gain approval to complete the build.

Thank you,

Sean

As I stated I did not start this FB group. If you don't want to partisipate it is up to you, but talking smack is even more disruptive as everyone feels they need to chime in.

I have been a member of the 501st for more than 10 years, making armor as long, and have never meet with such demeaning responses from other members than when I started posting here. All I wanted when growing up was a set of stormtrooper armor......when the day finally came it was way undersized and my disapointment was huge. Needless to say, I went in other directions in the 501 universe. I am a well known Clone, Imperial Knight and jedi/sith, as well as hovoc squad armor maker, and to be treated as if this is my first go round is quite disapointing. Someone here said I need to earn their respect.....my record should be more than adequate.  Again I did not start the FB page, if you dont care to join, or be a part, fine, just don't dog those that feel it a help to them, not everyone has access here.........

I'm not seeing you disrespected here. On the contrary, this community backed you up when you were recasted. It might not have been instant justice for you, but we got to the bottom of it nonetheless. Peter went on his way and I never did hear a thank you. 

I would much rather see your talents shared here at the FISD, getting built and discussed by our members. We've been going hard for ten years too, and it's disappointing to see stuff go away to facebook.