Armor Gap Inquiry

Hello all, 

Not going for Centurian, just hoping for basic. Any suggestions? Right now, I think the shoulders need to come in a bit. Having a hard time getting the cod and butt plate to snap, but not sure what to lower. I already have the gaps between the plates in the back, so I'm thinking I don't want to lower the butt plate anymore. Also the forearms feel a bit too close to the end of my wrist. Would it be OK to raise the biceps a bit more under the shoulders, and then raise the forearms a bit? I am going to be replacing that POS belt at some point too. Haven't even started the legs yet, other than a rough trim.

IMG_2558.jpgIMG_2559.jpgIMG_2560.jpgIMG_2561.jpgIMG_2563.jpg

Good tip, if you have one, is to have a full-length mirror when kitting-up, just to check things are in the correct positions.

Fixing the belt to abdomen at front, either with chicago screws or snaps help to keep the belt in position. It needs to be on the kidney part, not the butt plate, which is probably throwing other bits off line.

And yeh, the shoulder bells should be pretty much touching the shoulder straps. Are all the arm parts connected with elastic?

Thanks for the fast reply. I need to get the snaps installed on the abs to help the belt from sagging so much. Going to shorten the elastic on the shoulder attachment a bit to help bring it in tighter. I used the Anovos supplied straps, just added Tandy Line 24 snaps.

I'm 5'8". I heard the return edge needs to be removed before the hot water bath,or I could get some cracking. Is the the return edge at the neck side? <br><br>

Also, what do you guys think about the arm spacing? Would it be ok to raise the biceps a little to help raise the forearms, or do they look ok?<br><br>

Thanks again!

At 5'8 the armor should fit you height wise without modifications. Removing the return edge will decrease the space between you and the armor which should ease fitment issues, especially if you're having difficulty with it fitting around your waist.  

In my build the the armor owner is 6'1" and the armor fit him with very little modifications.  

• Like 2

I tried a heat gun on my kidney/low back plate and I almost ruined it. So be careful with it. I only mentioned this because it looks like the back plate looks wide or it's the camera angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Move shoulder bells in. Raise biceps so they are actually at biceps. The rounded part at the elbow of forearms goes in the bend of your elbow. If its jutting past your wrist when your arm is bent and the rounded part is touching your inner elbow its too long.

The kidney section seems huge width wise. Could trim the connection edges to ab plate.

Get rid of belt for now...gotta get butt to connect to kidney. Then adjust shoulder strapping to lower backplate.

Are you using suspenders to hold the midsection in place?

nothing to see here.

Edited by sylverbard

Did a few adjustments. Trimmed the top return edge on the biceps so I could raise those up. Also added the snaps for the belt on the ab section. Abs are attached to the chest with snaps. Removed the gap between the kidney/butt plate and heated the back in a pot of water to reposition the straps nation have a gap between the back and kidney, but better than it was. Thanks for all the detailed replies.

post-22422-0-00563900-1467076617_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Musicaljedi
  • Like 1

What armour is this? Either the backplates too small or the kidneys too wide...must stick an inch on either side.

nothing to see here.

Looking better.  No issue with the snaps being seen on the butt plate, they're on the outside of the armor.  They're going to (potentially) be seen.  :D

I'd still suggest bringing your biceps up further.  When you raised the shoulders, the biceps already needed to come up.  They still need to come up further.  Have a look at the photo gallery here, some screen shots, and the EIB/Centurion approvals.  You'll be able to get a good idea for how the pieces should fit together when worn.

To get the best advice, you'll always want to do your test fitting over your undersuit, even if it is an inconvenience at the time.  We all do the same thing that you've done - put it on over whatever we're wearing when we're working on it - but to get the proper idea, you'll want it tested as you're going to wear it.  It will make a difference in what we see.  :D

Trimming the return edges down a bit on that kidney plate will also help it to pull a little tighter.  Naturally, wearing the belt - when it is worn properly - will pull and keep everything tighter on you as well. 

It looks like you're making very good progress and slowly (perhaps) but surely, you're getting there!  Keep up the good work, Chris!!

On the shoulder bells, i would remove the return on the bottom. Doing this will bring the shoulder bells in to close the gaps around the chest & back (Centurion thing) but looks good even if your not going for it. 

Installing strapping into the bell and bicep will help keep the bicep up at all times.. 

Looking good though  :duim:

Edited by TD42115

On the shoulder bells, i would remove the return on the bottom. Doing this will bring the shoulder bells in to close the gaps around the chest & back (Centurion thing) but looks good even if your not going for it. 

Installing strapping into the bell and bicep will help keep the bicep up at all times.. 

Looking good though  :duim:

Thanks Chris.  Took your advice and they seem to flex a lot better and can be brought in way tighter.  Will shorten the strap for the bicep and try and raise that a bit as well.  The forearm still feels too close to my hand, so hopefully this will help me to raise that as well.  

• Like 1

Thanks Chris.  Took your advice and they seem to flex a lot better and can be brought in way tighter.  Will shorten the strap for the bicep and try and raise that a bit as well.  The forearm still feels too close to my hand, so hopefully this will help me to raise that as well.  

No problem here is a snap placement guideline most of us have followed. For the forearm armor, you can also install a snap strap to keep it up as well.. See below :duim:   

Snaps%20arms%20detail_zps79aoy3u8.gif

Small update.  Got to work on the thighs, and definitely need some shims for the back until I take off some weight.  Added some shims, and I think combined with the belt being tighter  makes the kidney more appropriate.  I still think my back is too high; may need to make due with some gap between the back and kidney in order for things to line up.  Still need to raise both biceps a bit more and one of the shoulders.  

6E13E39B-69FC-40CD-938F-32F217B45190.jpg

6A6F0221-F018-4A56-AC42-21C7FDAE43BF.jpg2D6A2A63-5A78-42CE-96C8-A0BC13E57C38.jpgE37A2A70-7434-4877-A4AD-15C5271E968B.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Still making a slow go of it. I'm 5'8", and am thinking I may need to take a little off the top of the thighs or bottom of the shins. I had my wife get the shins on me, hence why they look like they are meeting unevenly. This is also due to how close they are to the thighs. I can't not bend enough with the thighs to get them on. I think the butt plate needs to come down more, which will increase that gap between the back and kidney. Any suggestions? I'm very hesitant to cut additional material until I know for sure that's the way to go. 

33C96D64-AE79-415E-B7F6-5560F6D467AA.jpg

C127AE9B-DA59-48D9-9DCE-654A160752AD.jpg

8D38EC8D-A269-4280-8D69-B52165EB91E8.jpg