Rogue One another new TK photo

BTJepson

I think of it more this way. With a vast galaxy there must have been local suppliers/foundries for the armour and so appearances may be different/localised from one part of the galaxy to the next.

Sent from my SM-J100Y using Tapatalk

• Like 1

We know. Things change. It's all good, we are just discussing the new things in the armor. :)

Discussing the differences is great. I don't understand why some appear to want 1976 low budget level armor in a 2016 film.

Does anyone think the empire would issue thigh pieces which are two thin pieces of curved plastic with a strip glued to the front? I don't think they would.

What is the purpose of the indistinct bumps on the ab? They are just suggestions of detail, not distinct parts.

Disney is selling Star Wars films aimed at 12 year olds, just as Lucas did. Any new iteration of stormtrooper wlll likely cause the same discussions with 40+ year olds in 30 years time :D<br>

I like the clean lines of the RO troopers - I saw clean lines in 1977, but Hi-Def wasn't invented then :D

• Like 1

Discussing the differences is great. I don't understand why some appear to want 1976 low budget level armor in a 2016 film.

Does anyone think the empire would issue thigh pieces which are two thin pieces of curved plastic with a strip glued to the front? I don't think they would.

What is the purpose of the indistinct bumps on the ab? They are just suggestions of detail, not distinct parts.

Who knows? :) It's a movie.

I've seen a few posts around saying that the helmet looks like an efx one, maybe because they were endorsed by lucasarts and Disney now own that?

Just a thought like...

the force? oh I'll use the force, bring me a hammer...

My problem isn't that they're applying new technologies to these new armors, it's totally normal they're doing so. What bothers me is that in the process they altered the original look of the armor with no real reasons. And I'm not talking about the little details here, new abdominal buttons, engraved tube stripes, ... all that I don't mind at all they changed it. What I really dislike is how they changed the lines/shapes of the armor and how it's making this new version looking worse/not as good as what the original model is.

To me aesthetic aspect should always come first, and only after that the practical aspect. This is a movie, you're not asked to be comfortable, only to look like you are. Here I think they did the design process the wrong way around, thinking first about stunts and then about look.

Now I just want precise again that even if I don't like these new troopers, they won't be the reason of why I will or not like the film. They're merely background characters in the end. 

I'm still looking forward to this film (far from what I was eagerly expecting TFA though), but I gotta say that the first trailler (which is only a few seconds trailer of course) didn't get me excited at all.

Regarding the missing holster, the FO stormtroopers didn't have a holster either. Their blasters were attached to a molding incorporated into the right thigh, as shown on my Battle Buddy here on casual Wednesday:

27858686680_233c524497_h.jpg

My 2 cents on the holster is this, during my military service when on patrol, exercises or anything else when we had weapons we carried them, rifles, light machine guns or as was for me back then occasionally an L2A3 Sterling sub machine gun...

no holsters, and the reason is, when you have a weapon in a holster it takes time to ready it, in that time you're dead, on the death star maybe a holster was permissible but in any situation where combat is even remotely a possibility then they would be carried ready for use so holsters would be redundant and in these cases not even present...

Any serious fighting force would not have holsters...

the force? oh I'll use the force, bring me a hammer...

Edited by AWOL
  • Like 1

My problem isn't that they're applying new technologies to these new armors, it's totally normal they're doing so. What bothers me is that in the process they altered the original look of the armor with no real reasons. And I'm not talking about the little details here, new abdominal buttons, engraved tube stripes, ... all that I don't mind at all they changed it. What I really dislike is how they changed the lines/shapes of the armor and how it's making this new version looking worse/not as good as what the original model is.

To me aesthetic aspect should always come first, and only after that the practical aspect. This is a movie, you're not asked to be comfortable, only to look like you are. Here I think they did the design process the wrong way around, thinking first about stunts and then about look.

Now I just want precise again that even if I don't like these new troopers, they won't be the reason of why I will or not like the film. They're merely background characters in the end.

I'm still looking forward to this film (far from what I was eagerly expecting TFA though), but I gotta say that the first trailler (which is only a few seconds trailer of course) didn't get me excited at all.

A number of people share the same initial impression of R1. Percentage wise the R1 trailer is getting 6% thumbs down compared to the TFA trailer which got around 3% thumbs down. A statistic I'm sure Disney monitors. Of course that leaves a lot of people who do like what they see.

I think the lines and shape of this armor did place a lot of importance on freedom of motion for performing stunts (or simply running) which you see a lot of in the trailer. The armor is segmented and cut so that wherever the body bends it will not constrain that motion. Which also means we see a lot of the black undersuit especially in action shots. And the sagging black diaper look of the FO trooper is back.

No doubt they wanted to avoid the wardrobe malfunctions seen in some of the ANH blooper reels like the one where they're entering the detention cell block. Stormtrooper parts flying everywhere!

Edited by bpoodoo

There were bound to be differences and no matter what we say they won't be changed, a different maker of armor and of course just another opportunity for Disney to have a licensed costume maker supply the costume to the adoring fans, money, money, money.

Personally I would have liked to have seen more of a cross over between clone to stormtrooper, I suppose it can be seen a little with the death and shore trooper helmets.

Hey we could have ended up with Rebels series based TK's, they are the same era ;)

• Like 2

These new TK costumes remind me of how, with each new superhero movie, they have to change the costume just because they can. Spiderman has a different suit in each movie, Batman and Superman are the same. Heck, even the new Star Trek movies have subtly different costumes in each one. Why? They have huge budgets and a costume designer that wants to show off a little.<br><br>

Having said that, I have no problem with making the new TK armor look more 'real' or 'functional.' Make the ab buttons look like they do something, rather than just having the vac formed bumps with a bit of Testors slapped on 'em. Make the tube stripes look like they actually provide a breathing filter or something. Etc.<br><br>

My only complaint is changing the design or adding a detail for no apparent, as of yet, reason. The angled join between the ab and the kidney armor...why? The big ugly black plastic girdle joining the chest and the back armor. Why? Rogue One takes place so close to ANH that it seems a design change like these shouldn't be there.<br><br>

Does the helmet look like an eFX helmet? In my opinion, yes, and I don't like it. However, 99% of the viewing public, as I've encountered with the general public when I troop, don't notice these differences. They can't tell an RS from an FX! But that doesn't mean that we can't discuss it here. Heck, were stormtrooper professionals boys and girls! It's our job to discuss this minutiae!

Edited by BTJepson
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The "why" of the two changes you mentioned seem obvious to me. Ease of suiting-up. 

The Kidney/ Ab plate are now joined and are free from the back and chest plate. Much more freedom to twist about. The diagonal line to the join is a mystery to me vs. a vertical, but there may be some attachment\ mobility gains happening there as well. 

The black band between the chest and back turn that top piece into a shirt. You can see the shoulder straps are molded into each from the close-ups meaning it's supported from the shoulders now as a unit rather than from strapping. It makes it easier to toss on and off quickly and, I suspect, more of a one-size-fits-all application. 

Most of the other changes will be due to the high-res nature of modern filming. The OT was in really crappy resolution, even on the big screen. 35mm film when projected to that size was better than the old 480p some of us grew-up with on Tube TVs but was, typically, worse than even 720p HD TVs.  (yes, there would be outliers but this is typical.)
http://www.motionfx.gr/files/35mm_resolution_english.pdf

When you look at Blu-Ray stills it's obvious how cheap the TK armor was. It looks bad even for the 70's but it's what they had because of the budget Lucas had to work with. There's no way it'd fly today with modern audiences on 2-story IMAX DLP screens in 3d. That's just the way of the world.

The helmet shape and armor profile looks close enough for anyone but people who've built one to say, "That's a Stormtrooper." Good enough for me. 

• Like 1

Remember your history of Star Wars. The first movie was shot on film...intentionally softened to evoke the Gone With the Wind style, and most shots were done with lace OVER the camera lenses to soften the images,, also the design aesthetic was to not have any one thing stand out, but blend in to the rest of the shot. So as to keep the viewer engrosed in the story....ONCE DIGITAL came out in the 90s. The original starwars was killed for good. <br><br>

New Times. New suits. Everything has a reason, and I do not doubt the movie experience in the THEATER for R1 will be awesome

I have to be honest, I think 80% of the Legion sports better looking armor than what the stills are showing. They could have easily taken 30 random FISD members and gotten better results. I'm not sure why they didn't - we have 400 EI and 100 Centurions. Just take their pick. Sadly, this is the first SW film I'm really not looking forward to seeing, or armor that I think is worse than what we have today.

Sorry, but I totally disagree.  Members usually fall into two categories:  "Screen Accurate" and "Imagined".  I myself fall into the "Imagined" category.  If the Empire were real, Stormtroopers would look much more like the Rogue One troops that we're pouring over in this string.  I think the vents in the jawline, teardrops, and back of helmet are AWESOME.  The actual tubes in the vocoder - INCREDIBLE!  The recessed ab buttons and the moulded ammo belt SWEET!  

Personally I cannot WAIT for the first post offering the new TK armor (and I pray, PRAY it won't be ANOVOS that does it).  When that day comes, my MTK will be for sale within minutes. 

Edited by BoomerTrooper
  • Like 3

I think the vents in the jawline, teardrops, and back of helmet are AWESOME.  The actual tubes in the vocoder - INCREDIBLE!  The recessed ab buttons and the moulded ammo belt SWEET!   

Once again, it's not the point. All those details are... details! I don't care about all that. What I'm (and think most of the guys who dislike this new armor) don't like is the armor in is whole. The awful chestplate, the Master Replica looking helmet, the ugly thighs, and else. When you look at this Rogue armor it has nothing to do in term of look with the originals from ANH that were talently handsculted by real artists.

Ouch. not what i would call them.

If they would have been that, the OT would look better.

Probably the most disrespectful post I ever read on FISD.

The artistry all across the Star Wars genre is second to none IMO. It's arguably what got me and millions of others into the whole thing and has had us mesmerised.

Once again, it's not the point. All those details are... details! I don't care about all that. What I'm (and think most of the guys who dislike this new armor) don't like is the armor in is whole. The awful chestplate, the Master Replica looking helmet, the ugly thighs, and else. When you look at this Rogue armor it has nothing to do in term of look with the originals from ANH that were talently handsculted by real artists.

Actually, it's exactly the point.  DETAILS MAKE THE DESIGN!  You can't say, 'it's not the point.  All those are ...details!" then turn right around and point out... DETAILS of what you don't like!  And I'm sorry, but I think you're way over romanticizing the OT armor based on nostalgia, not 'artistic design'.  If the R1 armor was the FIRST armor we would have seen waaaaaaay back in 1977, and the OT armor would have been what the costume department put up for R1, EVERYBODY would be throwing a fit about how horrible it looks.  I can see it already, "This armor SUCKS!  Looks like it was designed by a bunch of amateurs!  The helmet isn't even symmetrical!"

And let's be real... Star Wars movies are made for ALL fans -- the large majority of whom are not rabid, foaming at the mouth crazies who dress up in ridiculously uncomfortable white plastic, pour over every single tiny minute detail and host discussions on forum groups about the aesthetic appeal of plastic costumes.  I'd bet that 80% of SW fans will have zero clue that they even did anything to the Stormtrooper costume.

Like the new armor.  Hate the new armor.  Love the new armor.  There will be someone for every camp -- it doesn't mean that any one OPINION is better than the rest.  But I can tell you this -- I look forward to attending events in my R1 armor with fellow 501st members wearing OT armor, TFA armor, ATOC armor and ROTS armor.

Edited by BoomerTrooper
  • Like 1

I thought about this

Sorry, but I totally disagree.  Members usually fall into two categories:  "Screen Accurate" and "Imagined".  I myself fall into the "Imagined" category.  If the Empire were real, Stormtroopers would look much more like the Rogue One troops that we're pouring over in this string.  I think the vents in the jawline, teardrops, and back of helmet are AWESOME.  The actual tubes in the vocoder - INCREDIBLE!  The recessed ab buttons and the moulded ammo belt SWEET!  

Personally I cannot WAIT for the first post offering the new TK armor (and I pray, PRAY it won't be ANOVOS that does it).  When that day comes, my MTK will be for sale within minutes.

Well, you could be right. Ever get a chance to see Star Wars on the big screen recently? I'm not talking the 100" screen you have at home with a projector, I mean at a theater. Honestly, even today I'm so wrapped up in the movie I just see stormtroopers and am focusing on the movie more than cover strips. IOW, what may seem galling to me on a still 12" away from my eyes on a computer monitor may be a totally different impression watching the film.

So, I'm just going to hold off making any more judgments either way until I see the movie - in the theater - and the costumes in person.

• Like 2