Rogue One another new TK photo

BTJepson

Sure theyre the movie suits, just throwing it out there that these photos are staged for media promotional images, not necessarily screen shots from the movie itself...

Yeah, promotional shots, but still the R1 armor. :)

The promotional ANH Hero stormtooper shots were of Luke's costume. At least the helmet was. But The Chronicles promo shots of the ANH Vader costume after completion of filming did include a repaint of the ANH helmet ( it was really rough by the end of filming).

Edited by bpoodoo

Sure theyre the movie suits, just throwing it out there that these photos are staged for media promotional images, not necessarily screen shots from the movie itself...

Ā 

Ahhh, gotcha. Trying to anti-hype the, "OMG new scene" vibe. Ā It's all about the armor for me.Ā  :duim:

Those detached cods got me like: Ā  :blink:

Ā 

And if those thick cover strips are indeed the same kind used in the finished movie, imagine how many times you'd have to "score and snap" them to build that armor lol.

I have to be honest, I think 80% of the Legion sports better looking armor than what the stills are showing. They could have easily taken 30 random FISD members and gotten better results. I'm not sure why they didn't - we have 400 EI and 100 Centurions. Just take their pick. Sadly, this is the first SW film I'm really not looking forward to seeing, or armor that I think is worse than what we have today.

• Like 2

If this armour was the 1st it had been seen (done to this standard in anh) there wouldn't be a problem, it's nostalgia holding people back...

This is how it should have looked in the beginning, clean, smooth, no visible fastenings, because if it were real the idealised is how it would be...

Ā 

Just a side note though, is the rectangular slot that replaces the round ab button actually a USB port for an mp3 player?

Ā 

And another, the cover strip on the top of the forearm isn't what it seems from what I can see, if you look at the front of the centre troopers left forearm under the 'cover strip there is no join below it, also if you look closely at the far right toppers right forearm underneath it looks to me like instead of butt joint it's actually overlapped...

Maybe I'm wrong but that's how it looks to me...

Ā 

the force? oh I'll use the force, bring me a hammer...

• Like 4

If this armour was the 1st it had been seen (done to this standard in anh) there wouldn't be a problem, it's nostalgia holding people back...

This is how it should have looked in the beginning, clean, smooth, no visible fastenings, because if it were real the idealised is how it would be...

Ā 

Wrong all the way. We prefer the original stormtrooper not because it's the first that's been made but because it's the best looking aesthetically speaking.

• Like 1

Wrong all the way. We prefer the original stormtrooper not because it's the first that's been made but because it's the best looking aesthetically speaking.

So, first of all you cannot say anybody is wrong as its only an opinion and everyone is not only entitled to an opinion but no opinion can ever be wrong even if others disagree with it...

Secondly, by we you mean who you don't speak for everyone

Ā 

the force? oh I'll use the force, bring me a hammer...

I have to be honest, I think 80% of the Legion sports better looking armor than what the stills are showing. They could have easily taken 30 random FISD members and gotten better results. I'm not sure why they didn't - we have 400 EI and 100 Centurions. Just take their pick. Sadly, this is the first SW film I'm really not looking forward to seeing, or armor that I think is worse than what we have today.

I'd agree the 501st stormtroopers making an appearance at a hospital or a charitable event would be proudly sporting better fitting and better looking armor than what's shown in this promo picture. The Detachment Founder set high standards for costuming accuracy after all!
  • Like 1

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I think you hit the nail on the head. Nostalgia, tradition, legacy... things you cannot change without ruffling some feathers. R1 is set in the timeline of the original trilogy, and we expect to see the same costumes for the same characters. But that's not what we see here. Changing things up just because you can doesn't mean you should (i.e Special Edition versus original theatrical release). But I'll reserve judgement on whether these changes to the details are warranted; it all depends on the story. The Vader community might not be so understanding though if that costume changes substantially.

Ā 

Now some of this is just the reality of how the original stormtrooper costumes were produced: suboptimal materials, low budget, rushed, pieced together by an overworked (but Academy Award winning) costuming department... done well enough to get the shot on film. But that produced the nuance and character and variety of stormtrooper looks ingrained in our memory. With a big budget and the ability to make new costumes with more precision and consistency, like the FO stormtroopers, we may see these as too uniform, too identical. But of course that's exactly the way stormtroopers should look, but it's not the way it was.

Ā 

I like the freedom of trimming my ear a little differently, painting my frown a little differently, to make it unique, and still adhere to the CRL. But these stormtroopers, I don't know, I think it may be that they're going to all have to look the same. And it takes away some of my ability to personalize it and express some creativity in how I create my own costume.

• Like 1

The original costumes were never meant to be the ultimate representation of what stormtroopers look like. They were just quickly made props for a pretty low budget film. They even had two different versions (hero and stunt) in ANH. I don't believe for a second that those were actually supposed to be two different types of Stormtrooper armor. I bet the original makers would say they could have done a much better job with more time and budget.<br><br>

The R1 suits are just a bigger budget and 40 year in the future representation of the same armor.<br><br>

I think they look much more realistic than molded thin plastic with a little paint. The new ones have things that look like functional parts instead of shaky hand painted colors that don't have any obvious purpose. I don't have any issues with those changes.

• Like 3

When the rebooted Star Trek films were made, should they have made everything look exactly like 60s era TV props? I certainly don't think so. The designs should be inspired by the original concepts, but not be an exact copy in most cases. The old designs were not meant to be seen in high def and Blu ray. That is a problem when making a big budget film so long after the original designs were done.<br><br>

The new designs are just more modern interpretations of the same concept. They are making a film for 2016 so it needs to appeal to movie goers in 2016.