Wiring a reed switch

Hi, I got myself a reed switch to use as a PTT for my Icomm. The switch is a Bimba model MR ------------

and I'm wondering how to properly wire it... Is there an electronics genius that could help ? I tried

to wire it to a mono male connector, I see the tiny LED light up when I approach a magnet but the 

channel doesn't open. Any ideas ?

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

Measuring continuity 101.

1) Go buy a cheap DVOM (Digital Volt Ohm Meter). Select 20k in the Ohms scale. Turn the meter on. The LCD should display 0 or 1 because the circuit is open. Connect the DVOM leads together, the LCD should now display 001-003 depending on the accuracy of the meter, the circuit is now closed.

2) Now connect the DVOM leads to each side of the reed switch. If you have a normally open switch the LCD should read 0 or 1. Activate the reed switch with a magnet. The LCD should be closed and display should read 001-003.

If the readings are correct go to next step. 

3) The iComm needs a amp to function correctly. If you have one ensure it is connect correctly. If you don't have one you'll need to buy one. iComms are only guaranteed to work with genuine Aker amps. I sell a couple different versions if you're interested.

Hope this helps

Thanks Tony, I do have an aker unit also. Point 1 works good. Point 2 does not trigger with a magnet at 20k but when I switch the DVOM to 200 Ohms instead, I get the tiny LED light to light up when I approach a magnet, the reading breefly changes and goes back to 0 even if the switch is still triggered by the magnet. When I tried with the aker and icomm, the led light goes up on the switch but the channel doesn't open. Would I need to add a load to the reed switch ?

The iComm works with a simple on/off continuity button switch. Sounds like the reed switch is either not working properly or will not work in this application. If the iComm functions correctly with the PTT cable provided then you find a reed switch that functions similar to that.