Thickness Of ABS

Hi All,

I am very new and I have been reading and analyzing all of the suggestions on how to build a Shadow Trooper. I have noticed a large variance in the thickness of one armor ABS to the other. What is the suggested thickness of the ABS to purchase? I have ordered a kit and the armor is .080 an Ok thickness or should I shoot for something thicker? Or is the the average thickness. I just want everything to be on the up and up and have the durability for years of trooping.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Kenneth 

Hey Kenneth, the suit you ordered will be fine. That's the average gauge for the plastic. You'll be racking up the troops with no problem as long as you take your time, do your research and put together a nice solid build. The benefit of that gauge is the flex and little bit of give to move easier. THT

Hi Kenneth,

If my math is correct, I believe that works out to 2 mm which is fine. I have two sets of Troopermaster ANH stormtrooper armor in the 2 mm acrylic ABS and I love them. I believe most people have armor in the 1.5 mm thickness which is more flexible. I personally enjoy the thicker armor and so far they have been very durable. The only thing particular to the thicker armor is that you should not use the classic bracket and elastic loops system to assemble the chest, abdominal, kidney and butt plates together as that may crack the armor.

By the way, I'm just up the road from you in Mooresville. Good luck with the build. Would love to see you post a build thread. Shadowtroopers look awesome!

That's good to know Aaron. I was warned from Troopermaster himself as well as others with the thicker armor not to use the bracket system given the thicker armor was not as flexible. I would have loved to use that system.

By the way, congratulations on the Cavs bringing home the NBA championship!

• Like 1

Hi Kenneth,

If my math is correct, I believe that works out to 2 mm which is fine. I have two sets of Troopermaster ANH stormtrooper armor in the 2 mm acrylic ABS and I love them. I believe most people have armor in the 1.5 mm thickness which is more flexible. I personally enjoy the thicker armor and so far they have been very durable. The only thing particular to the thicker armor is that you should not use the classic bracket and elastic loops system to assemble the chest, abdominal, kidney and butt plates together as that may crack the armor.

By the way, I'm just up the road from you in Mooresville. Good luck with the build. Would love to see you post a build thread. Shadowtroopers look awesome!

Tom,

I am so glad you suggested not using the classic bracket and elastic loop systems because that is what I was planning on doing. Is it possible to still qualify for Expert Infantry with the Snap and or Velcro link the Chest, Abdominal, Kidney, and Butt Plate portions of the armor? I grew up in Mooresville. Perhaps if you have some time available sometime I could by you dinner and share some ideas and take a look at what you have put together.

I ordered my kit from WTF Troop Walt's Trooper Factory. I was initially thinking about the Avanos kit but the lead times were just long. I need time to assemble prior to Halloween and future cons.

Does anyone go to on Helmet Stencils? Also, I have been attempting to locate mirrored lens. I was thinking about just purchasing a motorcycle shield and cut out the lenses to shape and perhaps rig up a magnet system so I could change out the lenses with various colors if needed for a particular event.

I was aware that the ABS does stretch during the pulling process. I am sure there will be a ton more questions I will have.

Again, I appreciate any and all suggestions as I am extremely new and a Armor Virgin...

• Like 1

Kenneth,

Yes, you can get EIB and Centurion without the bracket system. I used snaps and elastic to assemble my armor and adjustable velcro in the arms, patterned after JustJoseph63 and Pandatrooper.

Give me a PM and maybe we can get together.