bucket ventilation

bfkn

hi! new guy trying to make my helmet breathable during the summer.  It'll be my first summer troop.  here it goes....

my first concern was breathing.  i was able to tolerate the bucket without any fans but what concerned me was i felt short of breath having it on for a couple of hours.  the only way i was able to relieve it was when i walk faster and i feel a rush of cold air from the outside through the holes of the bucket grill.

so i bought a couple of fans and tried to mount them, but doesnt seem to be working for me.

not having any background with anything handy, i just thought of how a basic ventilation system works.

now point me to the right direction if this has been discussed before.

post-24795-0-15834500-1466641816_thumb.jpg

first i bought a hose for cable management, for starters.  it has a slit right through the middle.  cut up a milk jug spout

post-24795-0-18583500-1466641818_thumb.jpg

the milk jug spout on the fan

post-24795-0-12393200-1466642038_thumb.jpg

fan, milk jug spout, hose

post-24795-0-42341700-1466642146_thumb.jpg

this was how much suction i was getting, barely holding a piece of paper.

post-24795-0-75582400-1466641818_thumb.jpg

this was my planned layout

i did feel a slight difference with just the bare fans.  considering in theory it will work, i would like to hear some suggestions on how to seal the whole thing up.

thanks

post-24795-0-75582400-1466641818_thumb.jpg

this was my planned layout

I've never seen this kind of set up before. I notice in your picture you don't have any mesh in your grill. I'd use that to at least help hide the hose. I also noticed you completely covered fan with tape. That might make a heat/resistance situation. I'd be worried about fan noise coming out of grill also. By no means am I knocking your idea. Just observation. Have you looked at fan builds here? We all pretty much mount them in the same general area pointing up on sides of face. Like you said just the air movement was enough. Again kudos on your ingenuity,and good luck at staying cool.

One thing to think about is that if the air outside is hot then you're just pulling in hot air. From what I hear from others, having the air in the bucket move around is far better than not having any air moving at all.

Was it really humid outside? I know I have trouble breathing when it's humid.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Edited by Strength

You just want fans in your jowls pointing up to keep lenses clear. Some have a fan in the rear cavity blowing out to move warm air out and hopefully pull fresh leaa humid air in.

• 2 weeks later...

My last two troops were in my tfa. I need fans, coming soon, and a dehumidifier.

-"nothing to see here, move along. move along."

I was thinking of something similar. I was thinking of something more along the way of using something like a scaled down vacuum hose and ventilating it by drilling holes into it. Using one fan to draw air in and the other to exhaust it up to the lenses.