Rebels TK

mhWbJPO.jpg

Legs!  Paint is curing on these, since the gloss paint has some self-leveling conditioners added that make it dry much more slowly than the flat varieties.  Weathering coming on the drop boxes and updated straps.

More coming soon!

II3rNjz.jpg

j76ak52.jpg

2WRX38S.jpg

Test fitting the straps.  I'll need to figure out exactly how I'm attaching these, as I'll need to disconnect at least one side to be able to get the armor on and off.  Thinking of doing permanent attachment in the front and magnets or velcro in the back.  I'll play around with this bit and see what looks and holds the best.

26 minutes ago, zv288bot said:

Is Walt working on making a correct set of shoulder straps and drop boxes (in addition to everything else ;) )

Looks great Eric!

I think that's in the plans.  I'm doing these based on time constraints and to give some alternative options for those with Jim's kit.  Ideally you wouldn't have to craft quite so much in a ready to build kit, so I'm sure that's what Walt intends for future runs.

• Like 1

Hey Eric, where'd you land on the size of the pipe for the TD? Last mention in your thread here you were questioning if it was too big at 2.5". I have some pipe in both 2" and 2.5". What would you suggest? 

38 minutes ago, ramey said:

Hey Eric, where'd you land on the size of the pipe for the TD? Last mention in your thread here you were questioning if it was too big at 2.5". I have some pipe in both 2" and 2.5". What would you suggest? 

Q8T8846.jpg

v9oHSkc.jpg

Gbryftz.jpg

MbGFrUi.jpg

ruopksh.jpg

Mfg9Sfh.jpg

This is the 2.5" OD electrical pipe I used.  IIRC, this was 7.5" length.  You could probably do 7 3/4" to 8" length and be ok

kGrlGzI.jpg

Legs were sliced in the back at the indent to hide the trap door.

WHUlNKY.jpg

I used ~ 1.5" strip of very thin sign material.  Flexibility is key.  This was glued in on one side only.  I don't think it matters too much which side you glue, but I chose the outside half of each leg (i.e., the right side on the right leg, left side on the left leg) on which to glue the floating shim.

Once this is cured, I put a bead of E6000 down the outer edge of the floating shim for reinforcement.  Let this dry as well.

The top has a short piece of elastic CA glued to both sides to provide tension to hold the alignment properly.  This should flex, but not much.

The bulb area of the calf towards the top gets another piece of elastic, longer and with a bit more stretch.  This will provide another bit of tension to hold the two halves together correctly, but still allow expansion enough to get your foot in an out.  I highly recommend testing it without the elastic to visualize how much stretch you'll need before permanently gluing the elastic.

X6V5bV1.jpg

Demonstration of the floating shim expanding to allow the foot through.  This will prevent the need for a visible seam, and the easiest way to hide the trap door to match the on screen look.

Hope this is helpful!!

• Like 1

Great work, I'll keep an eye out to see if it gets posted to the new to the legion GML costume section ;).

Good luck, remember the process for new costume approval can take some time for review so don't get worried if you don't hear back straight away.

7 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Great work, I'll keep an eye out to see if it gets posted to the new to the legion GML costume section ;).

Good luck, remember the process for new costume approval can take some time for review so don't get worried if you don't hear back straight away.

This is the 2nd New-to-Legion costume I've worked on (first one being the Death Watch Airborne, Type B), so definitely happy to let the process play out at the Detachment and Legion Level.  I'll look at getting a white beard in the meantime since I'm more the build of "Old Rex"  :laugh1:

• Like 3

Wow Eric, you look better than the toon.  I was really leary about this costume but you make it look good!  Are you going to try to be the first one approved?  Seems like we've been busy with CRLs anyway....  ::whistles::

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Daetrin said:

Wow Eric, you look better than the toon.  I was really leary about this costume but you make it look good!  Are you going to try to be the first one approved?  Seems like we've been busy with CRLs anyway....  ::whistles::

Dark CMF started the CRL discussion way back when on which I wrote a draft and we've had some discussions since.  Having completed the suit, there are likely some tweaks that need to happen to the language, but I'm happy to help as much or as little as you see fit to help complete it.  I'm waiting for one of our GMLs to post the request in the no crl thread on the big board.  I can get some individual shots of parts together for you as well.  More than anything else, I want to see this costume get acceptance and help others who wish to build it be successful.

FYI, the request was posted to the GML "no CRL" on the Legion board.  The long pole will be getting photos of each part we can use.  Text is very easy to do.

32 minutes ago, Daetrin said:

FYI, the request was posted to the GML "no CRL" on the Legion board.  The long pole will be getting photos of each part we can use.  Text is very easy to do.

I'll take pics of the parts over the weekend with the DSLR over a neutral background. Do you have a box or something to which I can post them?

Not a dedicated one.  Usually people just post them to their personal OneDrive, Dropbox, etc.  I'd suggest taking one or two and we can validate the format is what we need, then take the rest.