Rebels TK

xgs02Ws.jpg

So I thought I'd share my idea on how anyone...and I mean anyone...can get the detail lines on their armor...

pml4wfw.jpg

Drawing pencil.  6B soft.  Apply light pressure and work the graphite in there.  Easy!  :jc_doublethumbup:

Edited by eqdizzle
Photobucket is dumb.

JY30DUF.jpg

b3CJhM9.jpg

Small detail, but I wanted to make sure I took the time to show this.  I took some scrap ABS that I cut into strips, primed and painted with flat black, and left to dry normally.  I then dropped in some CA glue inside the ab, around the holes.  I didn't use E6000 on purpose, since it tends to run until curing sets in.  I applied a bit of pressure with a strip of painters tape and allowed it to air dry for a bit. 

Tape comes off and we're left with a really nice looks that mirrors the look of the show!

Edited by eqdizzle

IMG_20170121_134010905_zpsfyj1urwc.jpg

IMG_20170121_134020798_zpsav6vjveo.jpg

IMG_20170121_134042407_zpsydgammtw.jpg

Right shin.  I sliced along the seam line in the back to give me the ability to get my foot in and out and still maintain the slim look.  Right now I have it clasped on the inside with industrial velcro, but I'm not sure I'll keep it...

• Like 2

Dim the lights...put on the Barry White...because it's time to explore...

UZNGKP8.jpg

The TK butt..!

Notice a few of the areas I called out...the upward slope, the segmented area stopping at the mid line.  The cod/butt complex looks like it's a single piece  here, so any connection below the belt will have to happen beneath the drop box.  Speaking of drop box, there are no visible means of attachment, so a strap from the inside?  Also...no visible means of attachment for the TD.

Challenge!

Edited by eqdizzle
  • Like 2

Strap from the inside makes the most sense for the drop box, since attaching to the bottom of the belt directly, or the posterior plate, will just cause the box to get torqued one way or another. 

It does seem to be literally on the side aligned to the last ridge on the belt, where the OT TK has them aligned to the plastic belt ends. 

• Like 1

Strap from the inside makes the most sense for the drop box, since attaching to the bottom of the belt directly, or the posterior plate, will just cause the box to get torqued one way or another. 

It does seem to be literally on the side aligned to the last ridge on the belt, where the OT TK has them aligned to the plastic belt ends. 

They do flap outward on the show.  I'm thinking a 2" wide web or elastic strap?

They do flap outward on the show.  I'm thinking a 2" wide web or elastic strap?

The wider strap would keep them from twisting as much... I'll have to rewatch a few episodes and see if I can catch how they "flap". :)

IMG_20170128_191727278_zpspikltbev.jpg

Progress report.  Still don't have the boots (stuck on the slowest boat from China.  I've been tracking them every day for over 3 weeks!!), the drop boxes or the TD.

IMG_20170128_191823022_zpshkz0jxyn.jpg

IMG_20170128_191854863_zps741j4wma.jpg

Biceps and forearms before the gloss coat.

GsmycGr.jpg

Lkj9hMs.jpg

How I'm tackling the TK butt.  I am very strongly thinking I'm going to treat this much like my Clone...butt, cod, ab, kidney all go on as a single complex.  I'm adding the upward swoop of the butt area and shimming out the belt slightly.  I'll have to fiddle with where the segmented parts of the belt and and the smooth section begins...!

Edited by eqdizzle
  • Like 3

So TK experts, I need some help.

Should I add one more belt segment per side or just continue the unsegmented part into the shim?

If I add the segments, it will look better IMHO, but I'll have the incorrect number of segments vs. the TV show.  Thoughts?  DL?

Empire_Day_9_zps23jbkxlm.jpg

Edited by eqdizzle

Should I add one more belt segment per side or just continue the unsegmented part into the shim?

If I add the segments, it will look better IMHO, but I'll have the incorrect number of segments vs. the TV show.  Thoughts?  DL?

I've been wondering the same thing. The working CRL states 13 segments although these kits only have 11 so wouldn't we need to add another segment to each side anyway? The CRL thread shows at least one reference shot where 13 can be seen. 

• Like 1

In these situations, I tend to side with what is seen on screen, so if it will fit you properly at 13 segments then I'd say you should have 13.  

When I say seen, that includes the proportions, so if someone is smaller, then maybe 11 would look right on them.  If someone is larger, they may need 15.  What will ultimately wind up happening is that we will likely see it approached in similar fashion to the tube stripes on the OT TK helmets:  We'll provide a range that is "ideal" or "normal" and mention proportions.  That type of language usually keeps the Caliper happy GMLs at bay.  ;)  

• Like 2

I've been wondering the same thing. The working CRL states 13 segments although these kits only have 11 so wouldn't we need to add another segment to each side anyway? The CRL thread shows at least one reference shot where 13 can be seen. 

I have to go back to what I wrote there, but I *think* I took it off the reference material without even looking at what I have on the actual armor piece.

In these situations, I tend to side with what is seen on screen, so if it will fit you properly at 13 segments then I'd say you should have 13.  

When I say seen, that includes the proportions, so if someone is smaller, then maybe 11 would look right on them.  If someone is larger, they may need 15.  What will ultimately wind up happening is that we will likely see it approached in similar fashion to the tube stripes on the OT TK helmets:  We'll provide a range that is "ideal" or "normal" and mention proportions.  That type of language usually keeps the Caliper happy GMLs at bay.   ;)

Perfect, thanks.  That's what I was leaning towards so it's good that there is some reasonable accommodation that can be made.

**edit**

You're spot-on, ramey.  Jim's kit only has the 11, so adding one to each side will work perfectly.

Edited by eqdizzle
  • Like 1

IMG_20170206_210924560_zpsp5bcsrmo.jpg

IMG_20170206_210957008_zpspkxbfiqk.jpg

shimming the left shin armor.  I added a triangular piece to match visual references (sloped drop-off in side views) and did a bit of shaping to the top, as it scallops a bit at the sides.  Sludge coming up soon!!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hi Eric, now that Celebration is over I'm going to be getting back to my build. Was just wondering how your build is coming along. Any progress? 

Thanks,

Ramey

• Like 3

I have everything done with the exception of the TD and the Drop Boxes...which I'm STILL waiting for. :blink:

The left thigh has the white gloss paint, which I want to let cure for a few more days before I do the weathering.  The TZA helmet is also done and I'm getting ready to begin the strapping shortly.

I filled in the indents and decided to paint rather than use the decals.  I also thinned out the eyes to match the on screen references a bit better.

lQvMkR3.jpg

Thanks for checking in!  I haven't forgotten about it..!!

Edited by eqdizzle
  • Like 1