Suitcase Props 3D Printed E-11 parts

I've had these available for a while in my build thread and many of you have ordered some but I figured I'd start a new thread so they aren't buried.

Introducing Suitcase Props 3D Printed E-11 parts

As part of my ANH E-11 build I designed and had printed a number of parts to compliment my DoopyDoo resin kit and T-Jay completion kit. These came out of me not liking the quality of some of the resin parts and feeling that a better option was available.

Parts
Front sight with pin, use a M4 x5mm cone point grub screw to secure the pin.

24150900804_5e57b0f7b6_z.jpg

Flash guards x 2

24661235232_cd40eca2e8_z.jpg

Stock cube, sized to fit the tube in the T-Jay kit.

26289174066_d76c5a2e77_z.jpg

End cap clip, sized to fit the channel in the T-Jay kit.

25805780904_938e631fcd_z.jpg

Power cylinders

26444645291_0a559b3261_z.jpg

(shown assembled ready for paint)

Ordering

I make these parts available via a shapeways store. They handle all the ordering, manufacture and shipping. For my time I take a cut of exactly £0.00, the price you see is the same as what I'd pay cost. The reason for this is to give back to those who have gone before and done all the hard work to research and produce the kits we are building upon.

I'm adding a small, margin to each part today ( <$0.50 ). Nothing massive but a few $ in my Paypal once in a while wouldn't go amis at the moment.  If you really don't want to pay see Open Source below.

The parts can be ordered here https://www.shapeways.com/shops/suitcaseprops

Open Source

I also have made the design files and stl files available under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike license. So feel free to have a look at them and mess with them if you want something different.

The files can be found on github https://github.com/themaninthesuitcase/e-11-3d

The design files are for Autodesk 123D Design which is a free program and is available on Windows and Mac.

These were originally designed in Autodesk 123D Design, which has now been sunset.  These should be openable in Fusion 360, also available for free for hobbyists, students and small businesses (read their terms)

Edited by themaninthesuitcase
Adding margins
  • Like 3

I have also just published the v1.1 power cylinders based on feed back from T-Jay who was able to compare them with some playfulwolfcub replicas.

These change a few dimensions, the biggest being the rear length of capacitors. I've also added a few details and tweaked a number of small dimensions.

27080673814_d3cbe8eb83_c.jpg

Other changes include a simulated bend on the plate, increased bore for the 10BA screws, shorter end caps and smaller vents.

The biggest change is that I now have Profiles A, B and C:

27640742771_6282d20d62_c.jpg

These are on the shapeways store but in a BETA mode. There's no real difference but it it just marks there may be issues as they're yet to be proved. For this reason the v1.0 people have already had are still in the store. Once the new versions are proved I'll discontinue the v1.0 part.

It's also worth mentioning the new parts are a tiny bit cheaper than the old ones in the same material.

Edited by themaninthesuitcase
  • Like 2

Awesome!! For my next build I'll be using these.

And for my current E-11 I don't have a front sight yet. Thanks again!

It's not as a big deal for you in the US but I'll mention it anyway that shipping can be brutal for a single part, especially in Europe. I can order one of everything and postage is about 1/3rd of the cost.

Wait... you just updated the power cylinders ONE DAY after I pulled down the files and finally printed a set for myself?

Good thing this was just a rough draft test. ;)

20160617131256-89844d8d-la.jpg

• Like 1

Wait... you just updated the power cylinders ONE DAY after I pulled down the files and finally printed a set for myself?

Good thing this was just a rough draft test. ;)

20160617131256-89844d8d-la.jpg

That came out better than I expected on an FDM machine. I've got one coming at the end of the month. Will have to see what it will look like on max detail.

I'm wondering if it would come out better stood on its end front pointing up. The support would be pretty cleanable but the cylinders which are the most noticeable bit would print far cleaner.

I'm wondering if it would come out better stood on its end front pointing up. The support would be pretty cleanable but the cylinders which are the most noticeable bit would print far cleaner.

I could give it a try just for fun. Ironically, the "supports" in the front would need supports, printed vertically. I'm not sure about the bumps at the far end of the cylinders, though. That would be an obnoxious support to clean off.

It'd be interesting to see how clean the back part of the bracket comes out, since that would need so much support to be perfectly flat.

I'm waiting on a shipment of black PLA before I run the final model, but I might knock out another red one at higher detail, and flip it, since it's nice and easy to see the detail in this color.

Since this is for my Rubies blaster, I'll also scale it down for this test. It definitely looks large on it at full size, certainly compared to the PCs on my HyperFirm.

Edited by kman

I ran off the new 1.1 (version A) file to see how it came out. I doubled the resolution to .1 mm (vertical layers, from .2), and here's how the new one came out (The original print, pictured alone a post or two above, is behind it for continuity's sake):

20160621180413-5c9c8670-la.jpg

The higher resolution actually did help a noticeable amount! Moreso in your hand than in photos. The model needs more cleaning, too. And I need to do some more tweaking on my printer (I've only had under a week), but this is good enough to actually be useful, at this point. Here's a shot of the printing process, just for kicks. :)

20160621180416-f9add046-la.jpg

Also, my black PLA finally came in, so last night I decided to try scaling it, because the full size version definitely looks large to my eyes, sitting atop a Rubies E11 (the Rebels one, which is close to the ANH E11). Here is the 1:1 scale model (red, of course), sitting on top, next to a Hyperfirm for comparison:

20160621180407-3d449e38-la.jpg

It looks large to me (moreso in person than in the photos), so I decided to scale it to 80% and try it again. Here is the 80% model (this time in black):

20160621180401-06658e73-la.jpg

Closer, but no cigar. This is actually a little TOO small. Again, this is a little more obvious in person than these photos are showing. So I tried once more at 90%, and here's what we have:

20160621180405-252674ad-la.jpg

That looks pretty good to me, right out of the box! A little sanding a coat of paint and it'll be quite good enough, I think, for use as a backup.

20160621180409-8ac77833-la.jpg

I haven't tried printing it in a vertical orientation. I might at some point, but I'm happy enough with the 90% model that I'm not feeling rushed to, unless you're really really curious. Let me know, Chris!

Excellent models, again, Chris. Thank you so much for this!

• Like 1

Over the last few days I've had a bunch of emails saying all the v1.1 cylinders have successfully printed in a couple of colours.

If once you start receiving them you could let me know what you think that would be lovely.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yea Chris, I think these come up better in the black too.. I've also bought some real resistors for these.. And I might change my approach to sanding etc.. Give them a sanding before the first coat..

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Chris! I ordered your 3D parts for my doopy build. 

Front sight block and pin:

IMG_2053_zps2b5dodrs.jpg

IMG_2141_zps3ucduozp.jpg

Stock cube:

IMG_2041_zpsuzfmhhut.jpg

IMG_2143_zpsmevzqzkd.jpg

End cap clip:

IMG_2051_zps9yaimjul.jpg

IMG_2145_zps5rhh1nmp.jpg

I bought your 1.0 power cylinders, but when you upgraded it to version 1.1 I couldn't resist getting the new one  :D. I first gave it three coats with humbrol aluminum, sanding it with 500 grit or higher after each coat. Then switched to humbrol satin black repeating the process.

IMG_2101_zpspzgg8hke.jpg

IMG_2106_zps0jpcvfbu.jpg

IMG_2104_zpsrprkzuzc.jpg

IMG_2107_zpsun6td8av.jpg

IMG_2108_zpsjufq2jcw.jpg

In the end I didn't use your flashguards, the doopy ones worked better for me. A big thanks for making these parts available to us! It makes my blaster a better one!

• Like 3

Rogue One Power Cylinders

I'm also now offering power cylinders for Rogue One blasters.  These are on the E-11 for the Shore, Death and Stormtroopers.

These are complete and as accurate as I'm going to reasonably get unless I can get hold of a screen used one with some calpiers!

These are closed source unlike my ANH ones, and I will be charging $11/£10 for each of them. To complete them you will need 2 standard M3 screws. DIN 7991 for Shore and TK and the Death use a button head.

As before they are available on Shapeways:  
Rogue One Power Cylinders

28785392990_fb7a7ce43d_c.jpg

28785392220_012da2dea1_c.jpg

29071688895_36a9c5d8f8_c.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hey Christopher what's up

I'm definitely interested in a set of these Power Cylinders! I'm not sure if you're already aware of this or not but the origin of these power cylinders have been identified over on the RPF.  They are resin casts of the power cylinders that come included on the Shepperton Design Studios E-11 blaster (http://www.originalstormtrooper.com) which is actually known as a pretty inaccurate blaster here on the forums, they come up for sale now and then. His armor is also not well received here on whitearmor or within the FSID.

Kind of a crazy coincidence his power cylinders are used in Rogue One considering Andrew Ainsworth is the one who originally produced the screen used stormtrooper armor for ANH, and even more intriguing considering the Lucasfilm lawsuit over production and public sale of his stormtrooper armor.

Edited by SlyFox740

Hey Christopher what's up

I'm definitely interested in a set of these Power Cylinders! I'm not sure if you're already aware of this or not but the origin of these power cylinders have been identified over on the RPF.  They are resin casts of the power cylinders that come included on the Shepperton Design Studios E-11 blaster (http://www.originalstormtrooper.com) which is actually known as a pretty inaccurate blaster here on the forums, they come up for sale now and then. His armor is also not well received here on whitearmor or within the FSID.

Kind of a crazy coincidence his power cylinders are used in Rogue One considering Andrew Ainsworth is the one who originally produced the screen used stormtrooper armor for ANH, and even more intriguing considering the Lucasfilm lawsuit over production and public sale of his stormtrooper armor.

Mark (who as far as I am aware discovered this) and I actually were working on the sizes together before I released mine.  All my dimensions are based on a Doopy Doo and the photos from Celebration.  Mark now has a S&T based E-11 he's making and the dimensions are noticably larger in a few key dimensions so mine are actually undersized compared to the film ones but still "about right" for a sterling based E-11.

At some point I might ask Mark to send me some dimensions and do an accurate one but at this time if people want 100% I'm sending them to him.  If anyone wants the link then https://www.facebook.com/sheartech/?fref=ts I held the 1st cast out of the mold and it look pretty decent, certainly as good as a DD.

• Like 1

That is great, very good to see a rouge one blaster being offered!

Question:  Where can I order a set of these power cylinders? from you?

I'm using all real parts. I already own the airsoft sterling, flashlight and all the other components, I just need a good casting of these power cylinders now.

That is great, very good to see a rouge one blaster being offered!

Question: Where can I order a set of these power cylinders? from you?

I'm using all real parts. I already own the airsoft sterling, flashlight and all the other components, I just need a good casting of these power cylinders now.

For an S&T of recommend you speak to Mark, the ones I have done will probably look too small.

Just a brief update, I'm adding a small margin to some of the items on my Shapeways store.  Nothing huge, I'm going to round up to the nearest 50c, and the few extra $ every so often would allow me a to treat my self to some free postage every so often! :laugh1:

I had a quick look at the sales and there's over 65 of the cylinders out there now which is pretty cool!

• Like 2