Got my kit today... now what?

Lailaith

So I finally got my kit for TFA stormtrooper. I have never built any sort of costume so I have been doing a lot of research on this site while anxiously awaiting for this to arrive. I understood that I would need to modify the armor on arrival as I am 5'5" and on the skinny side. Now that I see it in front of me, it seems that I will have to do much more modification than anticipated. As it is there are not too many guides for First Order armor construction. Just looking for a recommendation for where to start. 

So far I have my kit spread out and labeled everything that I could identify. There are still a good number of smaller pieces that I have not identified yet. The kit is from KB Props (full armor, helmet, and shield) and came pre-trimmed. I also have boots and gloves from imperial boots. I have not yet ordered any of the gaskets or under clothing.

Should I wait to purchase the gaskets prior to trimming the armor or should I attempt to adjust the size of the armor first? If I jump into cutting the armor down to size is it easier/better to start with the torso or limbs?

Any advice is much appreciated. 

post-28651-0-05198300-1466035079_thumb.jpg

post-28651-0-10296300-1466035177_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I think a good stiff drink is your first step And then review some of the excellent TFA Build threads on here.

All the best with the build - look forward to seeing it come to life.

• Like 2

I'd post a couple of other photos on here if I could to show the size adjustments I'd need to make, but I can't seem to figure out how to do that. I'm mostly concerned with how much and where am I able to trim on the various parts. For example, the kidney and abdominal pieces go up to almost my arm pits. I don't want to cut off too much in the wrong area and then prevent that from approval.

Simple as pie. Easier than pie for me; all of my pies turn out bad. Anyway, Use Bondo brand all purpose putty. You can even glue your armor together with it. I used to use Devcon, lots of it, but the bondo all purpose works just as well just as quick and is cheaper. It comes in a can and a small tube of activator. It sands and feathers like magic. I've painted lots of armor with various brands of rattlecan. Krylon Fusion is my favorite. They make fusion primer, but it's hard to find. Your hardware could probably order it for you.

Edited by TK4205

Congrats on BBB day! Exciting and terrifying... the adventure begins!

Read other build threads, look at reference photos, and research before you start cutting. Start with the easy parts and learn your lessons. Build the helmet later in the build as it's the part everyone will look at first and you want to know what you're doing before you tackle it. Take deep breaths and walk away when you get frustrated. Have fun with the build! :)

I believe many who have had that kit have followed Ukswrath's build. I have also considered KB and due to it being plastic. If I was stating, I would read his build first. Good luck.

Sent from Tapatalk

• Like 1

If you do what I did, you stare at it for hours, days, weeks, even months terrified to touch it. Then you finally make that first cut and everything is better. :)<br>

Good luck!

• Like 2

1. Find someone local to you with experience building TFA stormtrooper kits. These KB kits go together in a similar manner to the Anovos kits, and nothing beats having someone with hands-on experience looking over your shoulder. Furthermore, they are likely to already have the tools needed to get the job done.

If you haven't already done so, I strongly recommend you reach out to the NEG: http://www.501neg.com/

2. Order your gaskets and undersuit RIGHT NOW. There are a handful of gasket-makers out there, but the waiting list can be anywhere from weeks to months. You can do the rough trimming now, but for the actual fitting you need to have them - and they will change how the armor fits versus not having them. Alternatively, you could make your own.

3. Read and research - basically keep doing what you have been doing, except do more of it. UKswarth's thread is a great example of that. There are also shorter TFA stormtroopers who have had to mod their kits to their frame. Reach out to them and pick their brains.

I have already reached out to NEG for some more local expertise on the build. I have a mentor, but he has yet to do a TFA. Just wanted to open this up to a wider range and get all the advice I can before I dig myself into a hole. I know that there are only a handful of people out there that have built and modded a TFA kit like I may need to. I think the biggest thing I need to know is where is it ok to cut (places that wont be seen) as well as how to keep it looking normal proportionally as I trim it down. If I have to trim something that is outward facing (for example I may need to trim the chest plate down), what is the best method for that and how much is considered ok. Are there pieces that I should use as a standard reference or as a starting point as to not throw off proportions. Are there pieces I can get away with padding up as opposed to trimming. Are there pieces that I should avoid trimming entirely?

Try sending a PM to Shana, i.e. "Plushie" here at FISD. I believe she is about your height, and may be able to offer some advice. She has a build thread up, but unfortunately it's in the 501st Only section (which you won't be able to see unless you are looking at it via someone else's account).

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/user/22799-plushie/

One of the first things I noticed on my kit, is the the bottom of the front thigh pieces are very different from what I see in the movie. It looks like they need to be trimmed to the right shape. If you were to trim them at the pull lines, they wouldn't look the same. Is that normal and is there a good template to do that?

I believe many who have had that kit have followed Ukswrath's build. I have also considered KB and due to it being plastic. If I was stating, I would read his build first. Good luck.

Sent from Tapatalk

I respect Tony's work as much as the next brownoser.  Remember that there were lots of builders that built their kit with no instruction whatsoever. 

I was asked by the owner of the anovos kit that I built to use Rustolium, because "that's what the pro's were using" . My Krylon suits look the same as they did when I painted them, whereas the FOTK I painted with Rusolium a year ago, is already starting to turn. 

One of the first things I noticed on my kit, is the the bottom of the front thigh pieces are very different from what I see in the movie. It looks like they need to be trimmed to the right shape. If you were to trim them at the pull lines, they wouldn't look the same. Is that normal and is there a good template to do that?

When in doubt, always refer to original source material. For instance, the display costumes that were up at SWCA last year:

first-order-stormtrooper-428-132034.jpg

http://www.originalprop.com/blog/2015/04/18/star-wars-celebration-anaheim-2015-photos-of-movie-props-costumes-and-models-from-star-wars-the-force-awakens/

• Like 1

Thanks for that link! I was looking for great clear shots from the side profile with no luck. This is going to be a great reference to have. THANK YOU!

When in doubt, always refer to original source material. For instance, the display costumes that were up at SWCA last year:

http://www.originalprop.com/blog/2015/04/18/star-wars-celebration-anaheim-2015-photos-of-movie-props-costumes-and-models-from-star-wars-the-force-awakens/

I touched it. I actually put my finger skin and digits upon the the actual surface of that actual stormtrooper. 

I remember dragging a couple of you along with me but I don't remember your names.  You guys were great and I couldn't have gotten the comparison shots otherwise. 

I'd post a couple of other photos on here if I could to show the size adjustments I'd need to make, but I can't seem to figure out how to do that. I'm mostly concerned with how much and where am I able to trim on the various parts. For example, the kidney and abdominal pieces go up to almost my arm pits. I don't want to cut off too much in the wrong area and then prevent that from approval.

Measure twice cut once! Don't worry too much. You can always get spare ABS and glue to extend if you had to. Might have a lot of work to blend in but it's doable.  If I were you, I'd cut off a bit. Try it out, and then cut more incrementally as necessary.

Definitely study build threads. I'd even go over to the other TK threads and ask guys there too.  That's what I'm doing. About to get my set here in the next week!  I'll be watching what you do. I'm interested to see how you rig.

At some point I would pick up a set of Lexan hobby scissors. They will help speed up the trimming process.

Also, great call on the safety gloves. Some of the accidents I've seen by people who didn't use them are pretty gruesome.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007KN0RQM/ref=s9_dcacsd_bhz_bw_c_x_1