Backpack base

joshsurf

hi im at the bottom of the world(NZ) and there are none of the nice cheap oil pans you guys use around here(and shipping makes them wayyyy to expensive!!) so im having to look at alternatives. now can someone tell me of the basic dimensions of the pack base. obviously there will be some discrepencies but a range say minimum dimensions to max would be helpful. maybe i can use a big plastic storage bin of appropriate dimensions. i have also found this:

drain_zpsnoolzesx.jpg.2f7fe3cf8ccb61a251f28548adb08149.jpg

its dimensions are :27" x 5.5" X16"

i need some serious help. i have everything else and im frothing to get the pack done!

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

So quite a big difference then? Has anyone scratch built a base?

Your base is only taller but is thinner which is better. As for this style pack I haven't seen a scratch built one. Most are using the 16qt pan and I think I saw one using a 12qt variant.

Your base is only taller but is thinner which is better. As for this style pack I haven't seen a scratch built one. Most are using the 16qt pan and I think I saw one using a 12qt variant.

Yeah I seen them but they are way too expensive to ship down here due to size. I don't want to pay $100 for something that is $20

So the one I pictured woul be ok? Are trjere a set of min-max dimensioms that I can use if I go scratch?

The best advice is to check with Sly or Tony on that one as they are in charge of approval. My only concern would be to make it durable. I strap mine nice and tight so it doesn't move. The pan's we use fit nice around the raised O II on back piece.

• 3 weeks later...

Could you not buy a plastic storage box and cut?

I have bought an oil pan, but smaller than these ones, it's 13x30x52 (cm).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by YIYO

On 6/15/2016 at 7:00 PM, joshsurf said:

hi im at the bottom of the world(NZ) and there are none of the nice cheap oil pans you guys use around here(and shipping makes them wayyyy to expensive!!) so im having to look at alternatives. now can someone tell me of the basic dimensions of the pack base. obviously there will be some discrepencies but a range say minimum dimensions to max would be helpful. maybe i can use a big plastic storage bin of appropriate dimensions. i have also found this:

its dimensions are :27" x 5.5" X16"

i need some serious help. i have everything else and im frothing to get the pack done!

How bout the smaller one? I just found this it's the closest I have found in this neck of the world!

Same look but smaller size

Dimensions 22x13x5.5

Thoughts? I can mod it a bit but as a base??.....