Alay's ANH Stunt build (AP, first build)

Alay

Thanks Razgriz! I'm finally over the initial feeling of being overwhelmed. Feels great to be making forward progress :)

I know exactly what you mean. :D best feeling ever.
  • Like 1

In better news, bicep is setting  :)  Went with a 20mm coverstrip because that seemed about right.

It was brought up to me that 15mm is usually the "standard" for arms and 20mm is for legs. Should I redo the bicep with a 15mm?

Also, anyone else have to trim the posts on their female snaps to get them to work on the elastic?  (I'm using Tandy brand)  I'm just using tin snips currently but maybe there's a better way

Edited by Alay

Update time!

Most important; I was accepted as a recruit to the CT Garrison!  Wooooooo :D

Chest and Back strap plates are glued in.  Should I cut to fit the shoulder strapping now/attach the shoulder bells?  Or wait until I have the abs/kidney/waist all connected and fitted?

eNKLQ0n.jpg

For the shoulder bells, the biceps should be strapped to them where the red circles are, yes?  Should the same strap go to the forearm, or a separate one for comfort?  Any thoughts either way?

z3udyoV.jpg

Also bent ABS hook catch for the bicep strap; worth bothering with?  They don't seem to move much even without...

894ikQz.jpg

The SE-14r fits perfectly in the holster :D!

WaANKDY.jpg

• Like 1

For the shoulder bells, the biceps should be strapped to them where the red circles are, yes?  Should the same strap go to the forearm, or a separate one for comfort?  Any thoughts either way?

I used straps there, separate straps worked better for me, allows you to just adjust one of the straps if they stretch over time.
  • Like 2

Hey Sarah, your progress looks great!  I'm actually starting my own AP TK Stunt build as well and was wondering, on the thermal detonator, if you cut down any of the PVC pipe AP provided and/or trimmed any of the key pad?  I did a fit check and with the end caps and PVC, it totaled 8", .5" past CRL.  I'm hesitant to cut anything yet and still need to sand and paper the pipe grey.

Sorry, hope I didn't hijack your thread.

I used straps there, separate straps worked better for me, allows you to just adjust one of the straps if they stretch over time.

Cheers!

Hey Sarah, your progress looks great!  I'm actually starting my own AP TK Stunt build as well and was wondering, on the thermal detonator, if you cut down any of the PVC pipe AP provided and/or trimmed any of the key pad?  I did a fit check and with the end caps and PVC, it totaled 8", .5" past CRL.  I'm hesitant to cut anything yet and still need to sand and paper the pipe grey.

Sorry, hope I didn't hijack your thread.

I have done neither... Just checked mine and the PVC itself is 7.5".... but measuring cap end to cap end it's a little over 8".  I'll wait for someone more knowledgeable to chime in, but I do believe we'll have to trim ours down.

There's a mix of sizes listed in here:  http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/32042-thermal-detonator-assembly-apte-how-to-assemble/

Which is a bit of a problem as I don't have anything to cut it with haha

Edited by Alay

CRL does say: •The total length is approximately 7.50" (190.5mm). Really depends on how long it looks on but if you want it to look right, I'd trim it down ;)

• Like 1

I got those same clamps when I started to go with some other kinds that I already had. I bet you probably think you'll never need that many clamps at one time don't you? Ha! Boy, was I surprised too

Made me think of your post...

x2O4UKc.jpg

I plan to go to Home Depot to have them cut mine.  Apparently you can bring in your own pipe and they will cut it for free; however, I'm told their cutter isn't super accurate so if I want to have 0.5" cut, it may be 0.25-1"...  i'll let you know how it goes.

It was brought up to me that 15mm is usually the "standard" for arms and 20mm is for legs. Should I redo the bicep with a 15mm?

Also, anyone else have to trim the posts on their female snaps to get them to work on the elastic? (I'm using Tandy brand) I'm just using tin snips currently but maybe there's a better way

I didn't have any issues with the Tandy line 24 snaps on the elastic strapping but I doubled up the ends before I put it on. I folded over the end and essentially doubling the thickness instead of just using the one layer?

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Cheers!

I have done neither... Just checked mine and the PVC itself is 7.5".... but measuring cap end to cap end it's a little over 8". I'll wait for someone more knowledgeable to chime in, but I do believe we'll have to trim ours down.

There's a mix of sizes listed in here: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/32042-thermal-detonator-assembly-apte-how-to-assemble/

Which is a bit of a problem as I don't have anything to cut it with haha

I gave my caps a hot water bath and then bashed them on the pipe using a flat surface on the flip side I do know some people who cut the pipe down and then glued the caps on. Any method will work as long as the outside measurement is 7.5 inches (roughly).

• Like 1

I didn't have any issues with the Tandy line 24 snaps on the elastic strapping but I doubled up the ends before I put it on. I folded over the end and essentially doubling the thickness instead of just using the one layer?

I'll give that a try!  Probably a lot easier than cutting the studs

• Like 1

Sarah, Home Depot was able to cut my PVC by ~0.5", although not completely round/level (see below).  With the cut and paint, it is now ~7.5-7.6"  Hope that helps.  I may put end caps in hot water then gently hammer in to get to 7.5 or below.

EF2A5D9F-02B0-4C9D-8893-5AC5E22689A9_zps

• Like 1

First forearm is glued, but I had to bend it pretty hard to actually get the sides to line up enough.  Cover strip is under a lot of stress as a result and I'm not sure the glue will hold... Should I break it off and trim it down more maybe?  Or add a strip on the inside for extra support?

pictures to come

Pictures might not be the greatest... hard to show.  I added another bit of glue and they're clamped to see if we can get them to bond fully this time (Not touching them for the full 72 hours I reckon).  I could definitely sneak an inside strip there though.

wkrykPB.jpg

3zXs43k.jpg

KyeheQ9.jpg

• Like 1

Pictures might not be the greatest... hard to show. I added another bit of glue and they're clamped to see if we can get them to bond fully this time (Not touching them for the full 72 hours I reckon). I could definitely sneak an inside strip there though.

wkrykPB.jpg

3zXs43k.jpg

KyeheQ9.jpg

They look good. I gave both of my forearms a hot water bath to get the to hold the shape I wanted them to take so that is always an option as well.

• Like 1

Update time!

I put on the internal strapping for the chest and back.  Later today I'm going to trim the shoulder elastic to length and add the snaps there.  That way I can correctly see where I need to remove/hot water bend the kidney and butt plate to fit my tiny an impolite person.

NSSoNlS.jpg

8Z90BUx.jpg

I also added in some velcro and another snap pad for the shoulder/forearm connection.

Forearm:

a5H2WAp.jpg

Bicep:

f76Lx3X.jpg

Elastic velcro/snap combo

CD3Q7tr.jpg

All together:

25KwJi6.jpg

The forearms still need a little work... gluing them was a nightmare so they have a bit of residue around.  I also need to probably sand off more of that return edge before it kills my wrist.  Finally, once I'm happy with where it sits, I need to install the foam I got for it.

• Like 1

Update time!

I put on the internal strapping for the chest and back.  Later today I'm going to trim the shoulder elastic to length and add the snaps there.  That way I can correctly see where I need to remove/hot water bend the kidney and butt plate to fit my tiny an impolite person.

NSSoNlS.jpg

8Z90BUx.jpg

I also added in some velcro and another snap pad for the shoulder/forearm connection.

Forearm:

a5H2WAp.jpg

Bicep:

f76Lx3X.jpg

Elastic velcro/snap combo

CD3Q7tr.jpg

All together:

25KwJi6.jpg

The forearms still need a little work... gluing them was a nightmare so they have a bit of residue around.  I also need to probably sand off more of that return edge before it kills my wrist.  Finally, once I'm happy with where it sits, I need to install the foam I got for it.

You might want to shorted the strap between the Biceps and Forearms. You would like it to just touch.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Slow indeed... Ran down to NYC this last week for a few days with the husband to see the Space Shuttle on the Intrepid (which was awesome!!!) and see a live performance by Alice in Chains!  Between that and two BBQs this weekend barely any time spent with the kit...

That said, today is the first big day; full torso and arms try on and fitting!

I tried to make sure the shoulder bells were very close to the torso, as per the movies.  I think they're about right.  I moved up the forearms a bit more as Andy suggested (Velcro makes that easy enough).

The chest and abs fit great, the length of the back/kidney/butt sits right, but the kidney and butt are wide and have overlap.  I'll need to reduce and bend them a fair bit so that's probably my next focus.

Front

wZThsr9.jpg

Back

lEOKz99.jpg

Left side

qOEP62F.jpg

Arm up

Qgx0AUf.jpg

Right side

1tXetdd.jpg

Me fooling around in my excitement

ki0DyfC.jpg

8QgAtxu.jpg

GN4SqwA.jpg

Seeing myself in the mirror after putting what I have so far on, I have to say it's one of the happiest moments of my life!

• Like 1

Drop the biceps further from the shoulder bells if I understand that right?  Or the whole shoulder construct further from the chest?

like the one on the right side here?

ZVvlnxF.jpg

Thanks again for all your help and feedback :)

Yes, biceps from the bells. Keep your bells as close to your shoulder straps as possible.The right side is definitely about right. You can fashion little plastic ABS clips to hold the straps from sliding too far up.

• Like 1

Here is a picture of someone submitting pictures of his AP kit for centurion next to your picture. I'm really just trying to illustrate the placement of the bicep. Sometimes it's more confusing to read it then to actually see it. Hope this helps.

bicep%20bells_zpsf6yov4vl.jpg

You can see how much lower his bicep sits and in doing so the black elastic attached to the bicep naturally moves closer to the top as you demonstrated in your previous post.

Good luck!

• Like 1