Alay's ANH Stunt build (AP, first build)

Alay

I've seen many posts from disappointed and frustrated troopers that didn't properly heed this advice.  No experience with either, but everyone always says if you're going to go the heat gun route then to make sure you get comfortable using it on some scrap ABS first.

Consider it heeded, warm to hot water seems much safer.  Would a hair dryer on low work as a light duty method too or too hot?

Got some more tools for the job from home depot.  These videos have been great: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeDunMes3e0wQn8_ns-ma4g 

iK9HnjU.jpg?1

• Like 2

I have the same Smith's that you grab two. They're really great, but they're pretty limiting in terms of tight areas and when you're trying to do long stretches on the sides.

If you can grab a set of utility Snips that fit like scissors. Both of these are going to be super helpful for you.

Otherwise, you are well on your way to getting started on the right foot.

afde234b51612afbf45a2c20f57071d4.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I got those same clamps when I started to go with some other kinds that I already had. I bet you probably think you'll never need that many clamps at one time don't you? Ha! Boy, was I surprised too.<br>

Where'd you get the magnets from, if I might ask?

• Like 1

Where'd you get the magnets from, if I might ask?

Everything from Home Depot.  They were on sale too... 2/$4 so I figured why not!

So many clamps though!

• Like 1

That's crazy cheap! I paid almost $50 for a dozen at Princess Auto! I demand a do-over! I had no idea Home Depot carried them. Do you recall what section of the store? I'm not sure if they're hardware or tool and their website isn't being exactly helpful.<br>

Just noticed now that you're in Windsor, CT, but I misread as Windsor, ON. Big difference in our dollar right now. Probably explains a lot.

Edited by pewpewpew

That's crazy cheap! I paid almost $50 for a dozen at Princess Auto! I demand a do-over! I had no idea Home Depot carried them. Do you recall what section of the store? I'm not sure if they're hardware or tool and their website isn't being exactly helpful.<br>

Just noticed now that you're in Windsor, CT, but I misread as Windsor, ON. Big difference in our dollar right now. Probably explains a lot.

Dollar difference shouldn't be that huge though!  I believe they were by the screws/fasteners/etc in the store.  They didn't have a huge selection though!

I figured I'd start on the Biceps!  But I don't have my black elastic yet (tomorrow) so.... Forearms it is!

Also... I do have the correct pair there.. yeah?  I heard the left-side inside has some curve to it, the right arm is more straight on

Bit of masking tape to hold one edge side by side.  I lined up the wrist edge roughly... should I do it from the other side instead?  

V5aQQcK.jpg

It's also pretty long on my arm, but not awful... should I trim it shorter?  If so from what side?

yrOqRxd.jpg

There's also a fair bit of gap between my arm/the armor.  Obviously I need enough room to slide my wrist in and out.  Should I trim it back to about the overlap?  Which side should I take the material off (I assume the inside?)

dK0nOyR.jpg3TcbTo7.jpg

Edited by Alay

TD Tube painted with some Testors Euro Gray I had left over from a model Soyuz rocket I made earlier this year... close enough I think for that.  If not I'll go over with another matte gray.

Glued my drop cases together, one straight on, the other like this:  http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/35918-hasos-anh-stunt-tk-build-ap-armour/#entry474581  Haso with the fantastic idea!

I would hold off on trimming any length until everything is glued in place. You can always trim more off later to ease movement.<br><br>

Also, with AP, it's my understanding that we basically got two left side arms. So they won't really be mirror images to each other.

Edited by zv288bot
  • Like 1

I would hold off on trimming any length until everything is glued in place. You can always trim more off later to ease movement.<br><br>

Also, with AP, it's my understanding that we basically got two left side arms. So they won't really be mirror images to each other.

Thanks for the information!  Should I take the width down on the forearm at all before adding strips?  Or leave it thick and pad the inside?

Finally did a layout and full sizing... masking tape is everywhere!  God bless my husband for putting up with and helping me with this  :laugh1:

i79GVbu.jpg

Chest/Back seem fine, but I'm absolutely going to need to reduce the kidneys and/or abs on the sides.

jUdSTym.jpg

There's a 3-6" gap between me and the kidney 

yhVX6xC.jpg

qD1sQJf.jpg?1

The arms though seem to be fine with the undersuit on.  The bells will come in closer when it's not falling off with tape from the shoulders.  Snapped this one just before the whole chest area fell apart completely...

rx6GExt.jpg?1

The thighs and shins will almost definitely have to be trimmed smaller in width as they're quite large for my legs, but I'm going to focus on the arms and torso first I reckon

Edited by Alay
  • Like 1

Thanks for the information! Should I take the width down on the forearm at all before adding strips? Or leave it thick and pad the inside?

I would leave the outside edge correct and trim the inside edge to fit but you are gonna wanna make sure the size of your biceps are as close as possible in diameter to your forearms. So, if you need to add foam to the forearms to keep the look then I would do so. So in short, size your biceps and then see where you need to go with your forearms if any of this makes sense.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Finally did a layout and full sizing... masking tape is everywhere! God bless my husband for putting up with and helping me with this :laugh1:

i79GVbu.jpg

Chest/Back seem fine, but I'm absolutely going to need to reduce the kidneys and/or abs on the sides.

jUdSTym.jpg

There's a 3-6" gap between me and the kidney

yhVX6xC.jpg

qD1sQJf.jpg?1

The arms though seem to be fine with the undersuit on. The bells will come in closer when it's not falling off with tape from the shoulders. Snapped this one just before the whole chest area fell apart completely...

rx6GExt.jpg?1

The thighs and shins will almost definitely have to be trimmed smaller in width as they're quite large for my legs, but I'm going to focus on the arms and torso first I reckon

It doesn't look to far off. You will definitely need to take some off the kidney section. It is my understanding that if you are going to adjust size, you do so off the kidney leaving the AB alone. If you plan on going centurion then you'll have to redo the kidney notches. For basic and EIB the notch is not required on the kidney. Thank goodness for our better halves. My wife chuckled a few times during the process.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Mate you've been a huge help so far!  Thanks for the feedback :)

I'll start on the kidney side when I get to trimming there.  I think my plan of attack is going to be chest -> shoulders/biceps -> forearms -> abs/kidney/butt -> thighs/shins.

The shoulder bells fit me pretty good (might need a tiny piece of padding on the bicep inner for comfort but we'll see), so the forearms with some padding will likely be the way.  I now understand that E6000 comes off fairly easily so I'm not as afraid of having to break it down and trim again after gluing :)

Mate you've been a huge help so far!  Thanks for the feedback :)

I'll start on the kidney side when I get to trimming there.  I think my plan of attack is going to be chest -> shoulders/biceps -> forearms -> abs/kidney/butt -> thighs/shins.

The shoulder bells fit me pretty good (might need a tiny piece of padding on the bicep inner for comfort but we'll see), so the forearms with some padding will likely be the way.  I now understand that E6000 comes off fairly easily so I'm not as afraid of having to break it down and trim again after gluing :)

You're welcome. E6000 is the way to go, I had to redo one of my shins and with some effort, the cover strip came off with no issues. Also, just a reminder, with the shoulder bells you can leave some return edge if it will help you.

• Like 1

Snaps are a real pain in the an impolite person to set  :6:

Ugh I know, I still have a couple of snaps that I know I will have to replace at some point. There is a small tutorial video on the tandy website (or was it youtube) that gives you some pointers on how to do it. I also believe Tony (Ukswrath) has a video on Youtube showing the process as well. Are you doing ABS or Nylon web strapping?

Are you doing ABS or Nylon web strapping?

Got a set of nylons from Redforce over in his project sale thread:  http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/26931-webbing-snap-plates-30-piece-set/

So far I have one set of snaps done... Haven't managed to hit my thumb yet with my hammer  so that's a plus!

Hammer and Anvil was hell.  I found this at Joanne's for like $10 after a coupon.

dDdE7C8.jpg

You can buy it amazon too it looks like.

For a bit of wrist pressure and a lot less headache for me (and my poor neighbors!) it sets them quite well.

AfOFdJj.jpg

Unfortunately, when I was hammering the first set in I realized they're actually both the "female" snap side, while everything I've read says to use the male side for the nylon meshes and the female side for the elastic.  Should I redo this one, or is it not a big enough deal to worry about?

In better news, bicep is setting  :)  Went with a 20mm coverstrip because that seemed about right.

ULftg4o.jpg

Edited by Alay
  • Like 2

Actually, if you have a bolt or quick change type drill bit that fits inside the snap, you can use it to hammer the little split tabs in there to a flatter more secure position. I do it to all my snaps, but I've never used the tool you have. Then again, I'm also really new to this as well.

• Like 1

Hammer and Anvil was hell.  I found this at Joanne's for like $10 after a coupon.

You can buy it amazon too it looks like.

For a bit of wrist pressure and a lot less headache for me (and my poor neighbors!) it sets them quite well.

AfOFdJj.jpg

Unfortunately, when I was hammering the first set in I realized they're actually both the "female" snap side, while everything I've read says to use the male side for the nylon meshes and the female side for the elastic.  Should I redo this one, or is it not a big enough deal to worry about?

I found this useful for snaps http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/28934-howto-make-snaps-hold/?hl=snaps

Welp... that's it!  I'm literally out of clamps and magnets.  Shoulder Bell strappings and the Bicep is gluing.  Chest/Back snap plates are gluing.  

Thermal Detonator is all glued and drilled too! I might sand that bottom edge down a bit more, later on...

0fNi7oI.jpg

Any suggestions for storage/mannequins?  My husband wants our dinner table back...

• Like 1

Thanks Razgriz!  I'm finally over the initial feeling of being overwhelmed.  Feels great to be making forward progress :)

• Like 2