Alay's ANH Stunt build (AP, first build)

Alay

Hey All,

Still a bit of time on my AP armor, but I figure I'd start up a thread as my stuff comes in.

I'm a total noob at this stuff, and not particularly handy with tools, so this will all be a huge learning experience for me.  I'm going to post as much of the process as I can so maybe others can learn from my inevitable mistakes and get some info along the way :)

-----

Now that my build is mostly done, I've decided to try and detail everything here in the OP for quick navigation, as well as provide links for purchase to things that helped me a lot.

Trooper Information:
Height - 5' 8"
Weight - 125lb
Build - Thin as a rail
Feet - Huge

Here's a rough list of what I purchased for this project...

Armor Components:

Electronics:

Weapons:

• SE-14r Pistol from Shawn Morgan
  • E-11 from QuestDesignCanada
  • DLT-19 from Hyperfirm

Supplies:

Tools:

• Husky Razor + Replacement Blades
  • Needlenose Pliers
  • Snap Setter + Anvil  - Useful if you're good with a hammer, can make a racket, and have patience.  Didn't work well for me.
  • Snap Setting Pliers - These were very helpful and cheap, but I had to fiddle with cutting the female post.  They don't work very great so you gotta hammer the studs down after...
  • Gold Star Snap Press - Wish I bought this to begin with.  Sets them perfectly, no fussing around, no loud noise, and works great on the ab snaps for belt/etc.  You want the Die Set for Ring Snaps (double cap) 24 Ligne/15m set.
  • Tin snippers
  • Hammer - setting split rivets.
  • Power drill
  • Soldering Iron - Used for searing holes in nylon, elastic, etc.  Might want to get a plug-in one next time around.  Careful they get very hot.

Storage:

• Storage Bin from Target.  ~50gal and it has wheels :3

The story thus far:

Test fitting
Thermal Detonator
Chest/Back snap plates and arm construction.
Forearm part 1
Forearm part 2
Completed arms + back/kidney/butt strapping.
Test fitting #2
Shin construction + shoulder coverstraps
Helmet improvements part 1
Helmet improvements part 2
Drop box construction
Shins test fitting with boots
Thighs construction and ammo belt attachment
Butt snaps and rod rivet
Left side rivet installation (w/ details)
Helmet S-Trim installation (centurion requirement)
Rubber gloves and rubber guard installation (centurion requirement)
Fitting the kidneys and the butt plate to my tiny frame
Overlap stopper
Completion and first full wear
501st Membership Submission
Submission Review
Thighs refitting
Reshaping the butt plate
Shoulder and Bicep adjustments
Belt Assembly Part 1: Belt Face & Holster
Belt Assembly Part 2: Attaching the Belt
Belt Assembly Part 3: Drop Boxes

Edited by Alay
  • Like 1

Just did a bit of weathering today on the SE-14r.  Not sure if I'll do much more before giving it the gloss/clear matte coats, I kind of like the semi-pristine look of the black coat.

A5Ve57A.jpg

• Like 2

One thing to keep in mind with the armor, it's okay if you make some mistakes. The original movie pieces were too literally handmade. So it's expected that things will not be absolutely perfect.

Take your time, think before you do anything, and if you're still unsure then talk to some people in your Garrison.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Always remember measure twice and cut once, when in doubt either refer back to the CRL's or post a question, there are no silly questions, only silly mistakes ;). Good luck with the build

• Like 2

Just finished up my AP build it was a lot of fun. There is absolutely a ton of knowledge and help on this site, you are off to the right start. So, to answer a couple of your questions. I do not believe (20) line 24 snaps will be enough I bought a hundred pack, ruined a couple not hammering incorrectly and I messed up sizing some nylon strapping so I lost a few that way as well. As far as E6000 I ended up using a tube and a half of glue. Hope this helps.

Edited by zv288bot
  • Like 1

Just finished up my AP build it was a lot of fun. There is absolutely a ton of knowledge and help on this site, you are off to the right start. So, to answer a couple of your questions. I do not believe (20) line 24 snaps will be enough I bought a hundred pack, ruined a couple not hammering incorrectly and I messed up sizing some nylon strapping so I lost a few that way as well. As far as E6000 I ended up using a tube and a half of glue. Hope this helps.

It does!  I'll grab some more snaps in advance :)

Just got my first box of construction bits from Amazon!  Never played with a Butane lighter before, but it's pretty cool... now to get over to fear the damn thing is gonna pop in my hand like a gun casing.  :laugh1:

• Like 1

Congrats and curious on when you placed your AP order?  I ask because I'm still waiting for mine as well.  

About a week ago... it will probably still be a bit.  For now this thread will be more about me detailing weapons/gathering the supplies (and probably not all that active) until the AP kit makes it :)

• Like 1

About a week ago... it will probably still be a bit.  For now this thread will be more about me detailing weapons/gathering the supplies (and probably not all that active) until the AP kit makes it :)

This is exactly the approach to take. The wait will seem to be super long, but having the time to gather items and research, research, research will pay off. 

Congrats on your order, and enjoy the build!

• Like 2

This is exactly the approach to take. The wait will seem to be super long, but having the time to gather items and research, research, research will pay off. 

Congrats on your order, and enjoy the build!

Just got my undersuit today!  Pictures to come... I been having too much fun with this iComm on skype though!

• Like 1

You got a good iComm! Mine was malfunctioning, it's being fixed.

It makes for fun times talking to others. I can't wait to talk to my neighbors about the empire when my armor is done, using the iComm.

Edited by El_Pablo
  • Like 1

Happy Birthday to me indeed!  Just found out my kit is shipping very soon!  

In other news, helmet padding came and looks very sturdy

M5yD12R.jpg?1

Edited by Alay

Got my neck seal today from Veedox and it fits perfectly!  Great quality and feel!

That takes care of all the soft bits so far.  Now we wait for the hard bits and construction.

All-together pictures gloves/undersuit/neckseal/balaclava.  

The compression bra worked perfectly too under it all so any fears of having an non-uniformed chest in armor have been put to rest.

1FDlbga.jpg?1

p3IaiZC.jpg?1

Only concern I have now is my glasses fitting under my helmet.  Might need to get some tiny specs or day use contacts for trooping

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

GUYSSS! It's hereee!!! :D :D :D

NSpvAFI.jpg?2

I got the helmet pre-built because I didn't want to screw up the center piece.  Well worth it.  The trimmed kit is fantastic!

Now the question is where to start... This weekend is going to be fun :)

Edited by Alay
  • Like 4

Start with a celebratory dance.

GUYSSS! It's hereee!!! :D :D :D

NSpvAFI.jpg?2

I got the helmet pre-built because I didn't want to screw up the center piece. Well worth it. The trimmed kit is fantastic!

Now the question is where to start... This weekend is going to be fun :)

Start with a celebratory dance.

Already done!  I swear I'm on cloud nine today!

I'm definitely going to have to resize a fair bit of the kit though, so off to buy a heat gun!  The kidney plate looks enormous on me haha

Any suggestions?  What sort of heat does ABS melt at versus get bendy?

Edited by Alay

Personally I use the hot water bath. Depending on the piece this might be a lot easier to do. Of course, if you're really familiar with the heat gun then by all means it's a great method.

Already done! I swear I'm on cloud nine today!

I'm definitely going to have to resize a fair bit of the kit though, so off to buy a heat gun! The kidney plate looks enormous on me haha

Any suggestions? What sort of heat does ABS melt at versus get bendy?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk Edited by Strength
  • Like 2

Personally I use the hot water bath. Depending on the piece this might be a lot easier to do. Of course, if you're really familiar with you done then by all means it's a great method.

I've seen many posts from disappointed and frustrated troopers that didn't properly heed this advice.  No experience with either, but everyone always says if you're going to go the heat gun route then to make sure you get comfortable using it on some scrap ABS first.

• Like 4

Hot water bath saved my butt...literally. i used it to curve the butt plate a bit more.

I don't know why, but I always picture people wearing the armor while doing this in some cartoonish fashion, when in reality I know it would be absolutely horrific.  Or, for example, I need to bath my forearms, but imagine myself just wearing them while in the shower or something.

• Like 3

I don't know why, but I always picture people wearing the armor while doing this in some cartoonish fashion, when in reality I know it would be absolutely horrific. Or, for example, I need to bath my forearms, but imagine myself just wearing them while in the shower or something.

Yep, practice on scraps for heat gun. Go easy with heat from a distance. Check if ABS bends where you need it, if not, repeat. When I did use my heat gun effectively, I also tried to create a heatshield using wood or other materials to protect the surrounding areas and isolate the heat. This worked for bending the back of shin overlap so it laid flush on Velcro. But, It is not an exact science. Water bath is safer. But again, practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1