Gaskets: Rubber vs Cloth

BroadSword

That's a good point. Curious what the reason was behind making them separate vice making them integral to the bicep/arm and thigh/calf. I can see them being removable for washing an such. I'm just now looking into FOTK so I'm assuming someone has reference photos of the gaskets being separate from the armor?

You can see from the studio locker room pic all gaskets were integrated...

480082454f65e480cc6ffb903d21af74.jpg

Safe to say this is canon but they would have been fitted to the talent in advance prior to final build. The cloth gaskets sold now offer the flexibility to be tailored to the individual before fitting and, like you say, can also be removed and washed.

This is a new offering out of the U.K. by Fantasy Designs - a nicely integrated ribbed shirt. Cuts down strapping etc.

786869a214d777429b0e5950ed46ac6a.jpg

Built in cloth gaskets can still be removed for washing. It only takes a few velcro tabs and it never has to be adjusted when you put it on. I suspect this is the reason for the movie suits as well. Easy way to keep track of left and right parts too. 

Personally, I would do everything I could to make rubber screen accurate gaskets and stay away from cloth.

Built in cloth gaskets can still be removed for washing. It only takes a few velcro tabs and it never has to be adjusted when you put it on. I suspect this is the reason for the movie suits as well. Easy way to keep track of left and right parts too. 

Personally, I would do everything I could to make rubber screen accurate gaskets and stay away from cloth.

I'm on your list now!

• Like 1

For my gaskets, I use no Velcro or anything. They just go right in the biceps and forearms. Sure are easy to put on. Here is what it looks like:

WP_20160616_001.jpg

And for the thighs, I can just tuck them in when not in use.

WP_20160616_002.jpg