Gaskets: Rubber vs Cloth

BroadSword

My kit is getting near the point of shipping and I've been wondering about the gasket issue. I've contacted IG and they gave me the rundown on both as far as price. They mention that the cloth is not as SA. I'm looking for any input from first hand users of both as far as level of difficulty finishing the kit, comfort and mobility. I was at CVII and heard multiple accounts of the Anovos rubber gaskets being very restrictive on movement. It's been a year or so now and I know IG has sold many sets. So please let me know what you thing of both.

From what I have seen and heard the rubber is more SA,but incredibly hot and do not breath what so ever were as the cloth are much more breathable and mobility is better, I have only had cloth and I plan on sticking with cloth

I've been using IG latex gaskets for a year and I have to say I love them. They are hot yes, but very flexible and look very much like the on-screen versions. The ANOVOS gaskets weren't workable at all. I've been super happy with the flexibility and just can't take the major dip in screen accuracy to go with cloth as it's very hard to replicate that level of groove.

• Like 1

I would definitely go cloth

Ā 

I was able to squat down fairly low and walk at a brisk pace and had full mobility to remove my helmet and simply move in any way..

Ā 

Cloths the way to go imo..if you can get the look down

Ā 

See below for my gaskets that I made.

Cloth and 4 way stretch

Edited by zuko

I have both types of IG gaskets, and it's exactly what has already been stated. Rubber (specifically latex) is more screen accurate but harder to wear, cloth tends to be less screen accurate but easier to wear. It's a tradeoff as to what you prefer.

Ā 

Regardless of you choice, either option is better than the stock Anovos gaskets. The evidence of that being Anovos itself is now including latex gaskets with the kits that recently went on (preorder) sale to the general public.

I have the cloth gaskets. I haven't worn them yet but I'm sure they're better as far as mobility than the ANOVOS rubber gaskets I received with my kit. They are like rubber car mats . . . stiff. Most of us at Celebration last year could not raise our arms high enough to remove our own helmets.

In a perfect world you'd have both - cloth for most trooping and rubber for when you really want full on accuracy. If you could only have one then I'm thinking go rubber. I just got mine and they are pretty easy to set up. Not quite as flexible/easy as cloth, but way better than what you'll get with the ANOVOS kit. I'm guessing 90% of TFA troopers use IG gaskets.

• Like 1

I would definitely go cloth

Ā 

I was able to squat down fairly low and walk at a brisk pace and had full mobility to remove my helmet and simply move in any way..

Ā 

Cloths the way to go imo..if you can get the look down

Ā 

See below for my gaskets that I made.

Cloth and 4 way stretch

Are you doing runs on your gaskets yet?! They are beautiful

Are you doing runs on your gaskets yet?! They are beautiful

Thank you so much. I was able to use them fully this weekend and they were a success.

Removing the rubber from my knees helped dramatically for me with the heat factor.

Ā 

As far as runs, I wish I could, however the time per set is quite a bit intense which makes runs impossible for me right now.

Ā 

But..I am actively searching for a method to speed up the process to make it worthwhile

Ā 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You might also want to consider the gaskets being produced by FNArmour. A lot of troopers have been snapping them up in recent weeks and are raving about them.

Ā 

They're US$100.00 incl. free shipping - up to one month delivery - or additional US$59.00 expedited shipping.

• Like 1

We looked in to having ours made in a factory, but we would have had to start with 1,000 sets. Most US shops will charge upwards of 200, so if this FN guy is getting $100 for his, we can't match that. I wondered why a lot of our customers were jumping ship after ordering from us. This would explain that.

We looked in to having ours made in a factory, but we would have had to start with 1,000 sets. Most US shops will charge upwards of 200, so if this FN guy is getting $100 for his, we can't match that. I wondered why a lot of our customers were jumping ship after ordering from us. This would explain that.

Well I'm still on your wife's list but still have a bit of a wait so I wanted to get something to get me through for now and have a set for when we do my wife's phasma

I just got my shipping info and my kit will be here tomorrow, so I'm not really sure. I'm not the fastest builder in the galaxy that's for sure, but it looks like a 3 month and 6 month wait for rubber or cloth respectively.Ā I thinkĀ my wifeĀ could actually make the cloth version, but I don't know enoughĀ about the process. Zuko's look great, but I can see how they can be labor intensive and it's rough when building for others with high expectations. Let's face it, "customers" can be a PITA sometimes and it's just not worth the aggravation. I think eventually, I'll go with rubber for "hi profile" events and then cloth for troops that don't require 100% SA.

Ā 

Zuko... if you're willing to let us know your materials and methods, please let me know. I'm pretty sure we can make the cloth version.

Yeah competing with $100 is quite the feat especially when that's near material cost for this (my) version

Ā 

However I am glad there is multiple options out there for people to choose from.

Ā 

Of note: I'm picking up an even feed foot today and it should speed up things dramatically which would make me rethink a run if it reduces my pinning time...

Ā 

Ā 

Yeah competing with $100 is quite the feat especially when that's near material cost for this (my) version

Ā 

However I am glad there is multiple options out there for people to choose from.

Ā 

Of note: I'm picking up an even feed foot today and it should speed up things dramatically which would make me rethink a run if it reduces my pinning time...

Ā 

Ā 

Do you mean a "walking foot"? That's what the Mrs. uses.

Ā 

I still do not like the idea of "wearing the gaskets". Building the gaskets in to the armor is simply the way to go, whether you use cloth or rubber. Good luck guys, in whatever you decide. After a decade of rehashing the same old costumes, we now have something new.

• Like 2

That's a good point. Curious what the reason was behind making them separate vice making them integral to the bicep/arm and thigh/calf. I can see them being removable for washing an such. I'm just now looking into FOTK so I'm assuming someone has reference photos of the gaskets being separate from the armor?

Velcro tabs do hold the gaskets in place. They come out easy when you want them too.Ā 

Ā 

You need to back your gaskets with a non stretch fabric or your going to have your ribs flatten out when you wear them.

I still do not like the idea of "wearing the gaskets". Building the gaskets in to the armor is simply the way to go, whether you use cloth or rubber. Good luck guys, in whatever you decide. After a decade of rehashing the same old costumes, we now have something new.

That's how I do it now, and it makes getting into the kit much easier. Also, I don't have to guess how high up the forearms and biceps go and how much gasket at the elbow should show. Once you get them dialed after a few wears, you are set.

Back in the day, I considdered building wet-suit gaskets into my OTK, in the same fashion as the FOTK is ow. It just seemed like the best method. I opted for screen accuracy and just went with a compression suit.Ā 

As far as the FOTK is concerned, building the gaskets to the armor is screen accurate.

Do you mean a "walking foot"? That's what the Mrs. uses.

Ā 

Yessir.

Ā 

Singer uses the term interchangeably :)

Ā 

Just picked up a Singer Heavy Duty for the Mrs. It says "heavy duty" on it so it must be heavy duty right? :jc_doublethumbup:

That one sews super fast if its that grey one I'm thinking of, awesome machine for those that are experienced. I'm not ready for that kind of speed yet lol

Ā 

Great buy :)

Ā 

Yeah, the grey one. It doesn't seem any more heavy duty than the Emerald Viking, but it is definitely a lot faster, which is what we were looking for. The Viking lasted for 9 years. We'll see what we get out of the Singer HD.

• Like 1