New armour build Star Wars Rebels TK

Looking forward to the progress, I have heard of a couple of people attempting the builds but have not seen one finished as yet.

• Like 1

This is just an example of the armour put together. I shall be following the normal TK build process for this but will have to do seemless on the calves and shins. Theres a lot of trimming to do but will use my Shadow trooper as a template for sizing. This armour is thicker than the standard tk, made of resin with a satin finish.Ā 

post-29054-0-62096100-1465807591_thumb.jpg

post-29054-0-70381500-1465807600_thumb.jpg

post-29054-0-50662900-1465807609_thumb.jpg

post-29054-0-06410000-1465807618_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Sizing up the thighs and calves/shins. Both are seamless, I am looking at putting a strip of white plastic inside the side joins after trimming to size. The calf will require being able to open on the inside and a strip placed with Velcro attached so can be removed easily. I plan to fill the cracks with filler to make smooth joints. the thighs will probably need 1-2 inches off each side as quite large for my frame, and will need shortening around 1 - 1 1/2 inch to fit

post-29054-0-43517200-1466009374_thumb.jpg

post-29054-0-29277100-1466009415_thumb.jpg

post-29054-0-90017700-1466009482_thumb.jpg

post-29054-0-65740000-1466009491_thumb.jpg

post-29054-0-06399500-1466009500_thumb.jpg

Looking at the TK references ive noticed a grey wash over their armor. Im still thinking about doing this when the armor is complete. Would anyone have any opinions or suggestions on this ?

Ā 

Having done a few of the animated characters, I can tell you that this is not the typical grey wash using acrylics like you see on Clones.Ā  I've 99.9% decided to use the "mist on - rub off" method to most accurately match the on screen look.Ā  I've got about 6 total coats of the gloss white on the bucket, with wet sanding with 1000 grit between coats.Ā  This will give you a thick and smooth base to build off of.Ā  Once the white has fully cured, mask off the black areas and lightly mist with the grey from .5 m or so, concentrated in certain areas with a quick, split-second burst.Ā  Let this dry for a few hours, and rub with the 1000 grit until much of it disappears.Ā  This should leave you with something that matches the look of the weathering on screen..!

Ā This armour is thicker than the standard tk, made of resin with a satin finish.Ā 

Ā 

and I think TZA uses HIPS plastic, as this doesn't look to be resin.Ā  If that's the case, I'd recommend using sludge for the filler in lieu of Bondo.Ā  The Bondo will eventually crack and require much more maintenance to keep it looking right!

Sizing up the thighs and calves/shins. Both are seamless, I am looking at putting a strip of white plastic inside the side joins after trimming to size. The calf will require being able to open on the inside and a strip placed with Velcro attached so can be removed easily. I plan to fill the cracks with filler to make smooth joints. the thighs will probably need 1-2 inches off each side as quite large for my frame, and will need shortening around 1 - 1 1/2 inch to fit

Very interested to see how the shins turn out. With the sides being seamless on screen, maybe split the calf down the back to make it go on like a classic TK and allow for filler on both sides?

Very interested to see how the shins turn out. With the sides being seamless on screen, maybe split the calf down the back to make it go on like a classic TK and allow for filler on both sides?

Ā 

I wouldĀ consider doing a closure like the animated Clones do.Ā  The KW kit is designed to have the seam on the inside of each leg, Velcro closed to mimic the seamless look.Ā  You certainly could split the rear calf, but I'm thinking you'll see more popping open on the rear with these being more form fitted than the ANH TK.

I wouldĀ consider doing a closure like the animated Clones do.Ā  The KW kit is designed to have the seam on the inside of each leg, Velcro closed to mimic the seamless look.Ā  You certainly could split the rear calf, but I'm thinking you'll see more popping open on the rear with these being more form fitted than the ANH TK.

Ā 

Do you have an example of how this is done? My mind is stumped on how it would look seamless. I mainly have build experience with classic TKs, so sorry for what may be a dumb question.

• Like 1

Do you have an example of how this is done? My mind is stumped on how it would look seamless. I mainly have build experience with classic TKs, so sorry for what may be a dumb question.

Ā 

25ebd214d5cdc07fc5eb483df059eaf6.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

I grabbed this pic from shockmatic on the CTD site, but you'd essentially create a butt joint on theĀ interior (i.e. the left side of the right leg and the right side of the left leg)Ā of each leg, leaving theĀ exterior (i.e. the right side of the right leg and the left side of the left leg)Ā fully seamless and permanently fused.Ā  The cover strip would only be attached to a single side on the *inside* of the leg, and Velcro attached to fully enclose and mimic the seamless look.Ā  You could, in theory, do the split in the rear, but that will be much more obvious than this method.