Stormtrooper gloves

I am seeing all these different gloves, but what is required for 501st approval, I feel like only one type would be approved, The under Armor once on here have printing on the palm, that cant be approval worthy, is it?

For basic approval they can be made of Nomex, rubber, leather or simulated leather, but they cannot have any markings on them.   The ones I recommended in an earlier post here

(link below) are perfect.  If you are (hopefully) aiming for higher levels, (EI and Centurion) they will need to be rubber.

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/3/2018 at 9:21 PM, Commander Gree said:

How are you securing the armor to the back of the glove? also how do you hid the yellow?

The hand guard is glued to 2 elastic bands.  One that goes around my wrist and the other around my palm.  My undershirt sleeves are long enough so it covers the yellow stripe at the bottom edge of the glove.

Note that for ANH Stunt and Hero Centurion approval the hand guards must be affixed to the rubber gloves with no visible strapping.  Due to climate conditions, many troopers opt for Nomex gloves after Centurion approval.

I use cotton glove inners with plastic gloves, hottest troop so far was 39 deg C and really wasn't an issue, just swapped out the cotton inners a few more times during the troop. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

What are good gloves that are approved by the 501?   Guess the question is after reading some great responses, if you are wearing gloves that is not approved then are you not out of costume?   Newbie here so just asking....   Thank you 

8 hours ago, Philip Madren said:

What are good gloves that are approved by the 501?   Guess the question is after reading some great responses, if you are wearing gloves that is not approved then are you not out of costume?   Newbie here so just asking....   Thank you 

No piece of any costume is "approved" by the 501st, let me just get that out of the way. Nit-picking, I know - but there's a big difference between "Approved" and "Approvable". Approval comes down to the actual trooper - each piece must fit you and and be correct to the rest of the costume and so on. Nothing is automatically approved by default.

That being said, the rubber chemical/dishwashing gloves are the correct approvable gloves at higher levels. At lower levels, including basic approval, there's a lot more room for interpretation in the CRL. And after approval, even Centurion, no one is really going to stop you from wearing different gloves as long as they don't take away from the overall look of the costume. The rubber gloves are THE WORST and super hot (especially in CA). I've literally seen guys take them off and pour sweat out of them. Nope.

The Nomex flight gloves are a good choice, but I don't much like the look or feel of the leather strip present on most of them, and they're still pretty hot. If I'm gonna go off-CRL, I want the most comfortable and utilitarian gloves I can get. I've been wearing these for the last year or so and love them. They're cheap, don't get very hot, I have great dexterity and can use my cell phone if I need to, and I just have elastic straps holding my handguards on.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZZ1J73J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sly11 said:

Nice share Justin, why aren't you an attache yet? :)

Orange County already has a Jeff L (Oztrooper) and he's got MORE than enough info in his noggin for everyone hahaha Otherwise I'd definitely consider it. Been trying to be more active on the boards when I can, and I do a good amount of Mentoring for the squad as well... Either way, I appreciate the shout-out :P

Edited by TheRascalKing

I have Nomex gloves and they are comfortable. My hands don’t get too hot and they actually breathe a bit. I have yet to troop in them in the (California) winter but I’m sure they are nice and warm. I have seen Justin’s gloves he mentioned above in person and they are really nice. Being able to use a cell phone with them is a big bonus.

• Like 2

I used to always troop in nomex unless it was a special troop, then I'd break out the rubber ones.  In the end if are OK with rubber gloves/latex hand plates - go for it!  But on the flip don't feel guilty if you are doing the nomex.

I troop in California and use the nomex gloves that justjoseph recommenced. They are thin, look great and don’t get hot for me although I’m not a big sweater. The rubber gloves are more accurate but too hot and wet.