Helmet modularity?

Buliwif

Hi everyone, I hope this is getting put in the right area...

So I've been considering where to start with my first build and was seriously considering a TFA Snowtrooper. I was looking at all the reference material I could find and I realized something and i'm wondering if anyone else has noticed...

I'm sure everyone has pointed out the similarities between the snowtrooper and flametrooper buckets, But what I've noticed is that both of those helmets (and potentially all of the first order helmets) are built from a modular design:

wlynClS.png

Ok, I've color coded the parts as I see them on this flametrooper helmet... There may be more or less depending on the helmet, but here is how they lay out: The blue part is what I call the Bell, the rounded bottom edge of the helmet that contains the hose connectors/mike tips/ whatever they are... Pink is what I call the Lower Lip (the part just below the frown) the green part is the bucket, which contains the visor and covers the top of the head. And the yellow is what I call the spacer ring... These names are not official, I just call them that to keep track....

Anyway, moving on:

Fcdnvx9.png

Now we've got the Snowie Bucket. You'll see the same colors are present, except for the pink lower lip. It has been replaced by this red over-masky thing that pretty much covers the front of the bucket. If you examine other pics of the snowtrooper helm you'll see that this piece is actually separate from the helmet as a piece that is sitting on top. the upper edges don't even appear to touch the helmet itself. you'll see the same blue bell as the flametrooper, the same bucket as the flametrooper, and a little sliver of the same spacer ring as well. all topped off with a modern take on the classic snowie's dome, shown here in orange...it's the same helmet, as I'm sure most of you have guessed by now... For a while I thought the whole spacer ring was switched out until I found this one little detail is present in both helmets:

sqm9cVv.pngt5DtBVT.png

And you can even see the line from the top of the spacer ring on the snowtrooper there....

but here's the real kicker...

nKNMORL.png

The Tie Helmet... Yep... That is the same exact Bell and the same exact lower lip. They've got what appears to be a different spacer ring (hard to tell here since it's not an actual screen helmet, so it may not be entirely accurate... and I left the rest of the bucket black because there's too many parts there to identify...

but there it is, I may be completely wrong, but it all seems to add up. Actually it seems like a pretty efficient method of creating different helmets, both in story and out... Will it help with people who are making helmets? Possibly not, but I think it's going to help me a bunch....

This may be Earth shattering, and then again it may mean absolutely nothing... but it could just possibly affect the standards by which these helmets are judged.... or not.... lol...

Edited by Sly11
Edited to restore images Sly11 2021
  • Like 3

Thanks! Now oddly enough the only helmet that doesn't fit this system is the Stormie itself. No matter how I work it, all the pieces are just too different to fit, which makes me wonder if the FO Stormie helm we are familiar with now was a redesign, that maybe it originally looked more like the tie helmet.... just without that weird flying nun looking blast shield.... I dunno... but if they follow the modular trend it'll make for some interesting new designs in the upcoming films.