HOW TO: Whiten Handguards

The handguards I received from RS-Props a few years back were never bright white, but neither was the armor kit so I didn't worry about it too much.  But, as time passed and I logged more troops out in the California sun, my handguards yellowed faster than the rest of the kit.

So, rather than abandon them after so many great troops together, I got a bit creative.

It turned out there was very simple solution.

Shoe paint.

Available for a few dollars at the local drug store, it is flexible and just the right shade of white to match the armor.  It is crazy easy to apply and dries in a few minutes.  You can apply a single coat, or multiple coats.  Your preference.  I ended up doing three coats on my handguards, but only because shoe paint is a lot of fun.

I attached "before" and "after" pics so you can see the difference.

post-19581-0-45964400-1463974063_thumb.jpg

post-19581-0-38088200-1463974213_thumb.jpg

post-19581-0-95750000-1463974628_thumb.jpg

Heh heh.  Great catch.  They're Velcro-ed on, so I can swap 'em out with different gloves.  On this particular troop, I think I put them on after I put my bucket on.  Probably not the best idea.  Thanks for the eagle eyes.  

• Like 2