Voice Amp - Radio Shack

I was just wondering if anyone has used this Radio Shack Amp for their voice amplification..

-----

It looks pretty good and its only $18.19. I already have a good mic to use with it, and it only takes one 9V. Currently I am using a Wal-Mart voice changer I modified to fit in my existing FX helmet. I am getting a new fiberglass one that is much smaller and I would prefer not to mess with trying to fit everything in it. I was either going to use a spare Wal-mart one I have, a Newton, or this thing under my chest piece. Any feedback from anyone who has used this or the Newton would be appreciated.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

CureMode said:

I was just wondering if anyone has used this Radio Shack Amp for their voice amplification..

It looks pretty good and its only $18.19. I already have a good mic to use with it, and it only takes one 9V. Currently I am using a Wal-Mart voice changer I modified to fit in my existing FX helmet. I am getting a new fiberglass one that is much smaller and I would prefer not to mess with trying to fit everything in it. I was either going to use a spare Wal-mart one I have, a Newton, or this thing under my chest piece. Any feedback from anyone who has used this or the Newton would be appreciated.

I think a lot of people have used this one (myself included) as it replaced an older model that Radio Shack once had. I cannibalized the inside just for the electronics and hooked my own hovi-mix speakers to it. I also plug my mike into the 3mm jack and it works great. Fairly easy to disassemble for your own purposes or just run a mike to it and place the unit under your chest armor.

I just got the Radio Shack mini amp, but it doesn't appear to work with an unamplified Mic (PC headset with a mic). I tried it with an MP3 player and it was pretty good. What type of Mic can be used with it and what model do you use?

I just got the Radio Shack mini amp, but it doesn't appear to work with an unamplified Mic (PC headset with a mic). I tried it with an MP3 player and it was pretty good. What type of Mic can be used with it and what model do you use?

You can use the Tie clip powered microphone from the same store or you can mod the board with a resistor to take a non powered microphone .

That's what I use... and another guy that I know of here in my squad if not more.

I have mine mounted inside my chest... it works great!

Thanks for the feedback, just ordered a wireless tie clip type Mic. If that works it will be even better since I will not have a wire from the helmet to the speaker if I put it in my chest armor.

• 4 months later...

okay i think that i will buy the radio shack amplifier:

-----

will they work together?

now to the speakers. i plan to open the amplifier, take out the speaker, and replace it by two small speakers which i will install into the mic tips of the helmet. now i have the following questions.

does anyone know a good online store to buy them?

does anyone has some good recommendations for the mini speakers?

what specifications do they need to have? ohm? watt? db?

thanks for your help guys.

Edited by gmrhodes13

Browncoat said:
okay i think that i will buy the radio shack amplifier:

-----

will they work together?

now to the speakers. i plan to open the amplifier, take out the speaker, and replace it by two small speakers which i will install into the mic tips of the helmet. now i have the following questions.

does anyone know a good online store to buy them?

does anyone has some good recommendations for the mini speakers?

what specifications do they need to have? ohm? watt? db?

thanks for your help guys.

Hey Rich, that's exactly the setup I have now and it works great. I have the amp velcro'd behind the chest plate and I removed the headband wire from the mic and velcro'd it inside the helmet. The mic itself has one cable with a standard audio connector and it plugs into another cable that has a battery and on/off switch box on the end. I attached some velcro to the switch box and when I put on my helmet, I just make the connection and velcro the box in my helmet. Haven't done the mini-speakers though.

Good luck.

Rich

TK-3944

Edited by gmrhodes13