Kaar's Journey to the 501st (AP ANH TK Stunt)

Kaar121

"Cadet Jason Kaar reporting for training and armor assembly."

Hello, and thank you for joining me on this build. I have never done anything of this magnitude before. So this should be interesting. Okay, so to catch everyone up I have been researching like mad since January and finally took the plunge on May 4th. It seamed appropriate. Anywho, I am really excited and can't wait to get started.

Edited by Kaar121
  • Like 1

Okay. I had to wait to get home. It is too hard to type this on my phone. Plus my boss was giving me strange looks. Thank you for the greetings I am glad to have you here and good luck to you Hugh. This is going to be fun.

Now for the list . . .

Armor - (AP) Authentic Props

Boots - TK Boots

Blastech E-11 - Quest Design Canada.

Under suit - Tesla, Found on Amazon. They fit great and were cheep. They are on the thin side. Great for summer but I will get thicker ones for winter.

Gloves - Rapon (NOMEX), Amazon. Look great. These are for regular trooping only.

Neck seal - Handmade from pandatrooper's design. http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/8402-howto-create-a-neckseal/

I was going to buy snaps online when I found out there is a Tandy Leather by my work. So I ransacked the place and came out with Line 20 snaps, setting tool and anvil. I chose to go with the smaller line 20 instead of the 24's because they were less expensive and since I am using nylon snap plates I didn't want to deal with the longer posts of the 24's. I also am going to double up on the snaps. So I think I will be okay.

I have assembled the various tools needed although I can not find my ruler. Grrr! The other tools and materials I will obtain as I get to that part of the build. Is it wrong that I have trimming nightmares and I haven't even gotten to BBB day?

- - - ARMOR PROGRESS CHART - - -

Bucket - Paint, install lenses, install frown mesh, trim ears, install pads, install fan

Neck seal - Complete

Chest plate - Attach bridges, add strapping, install ICOMM

Back plate - Awaiting strapping

Ab plate - Complete

Kidney plate - Complete

Butt plate - Complete

Belt - Complete

TD / O2 canister - Complete

Bells - Awaiting strapping

Biceps - Awaiting fitting and strapping

Forearm - Being fitted

Hand plates - Complete

Thighs - Awaiting fitting and strapping

Shins - Awaiting fitting and strapping

E-11 - Complete and weathered

Edited by Kaar121

Good Luck! I am currently constructing my AP armor, and learning a lot. Good & Bad. Reference my thread and learn... Do not make my mistakes.

Hey good luck to you man! I remember my excitement waiting on my BBB day. Also, mistakes happen as you build. They are going to happen. What you hope for is that they are not major mistakes...but if you go slow and take your time you will be fine. Even if you do make mistakes trimming, you will find that most mistakes can be corrected. Just be careful and pay close attention to what parts keep a return edge and what parts don't. If you have any questions just let me know.

Einstein once said "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." I don't think Einstein had ever waited for tracking numbers. Ha,ha.

Alright, we all love to see the pictures. Now that I figured out how to post them here they are.

Behold! The Armor Carrier.

1mlyota.jpg

This is the infamous Husky 50 gal. (37 in) mobile job box. I went back and forth between this and the 25 gal. (35 in). I obviously went for the bigger for a few reasons. One, it fits the entire suit, bucket and then some. Two, built in lock. And Three, it was either take this or risk clocking the clerk for being unhelpful. Not really, but yes really.

Anywho. I want to paint it like most everyone but, I don't want to do the typical black & white. I was thinking Sage green, Navy blue or Dark grey with the black. What do you guys think?    

Edited by Kaar121

I was worried that the armor would not fit in the job box. So I did a test fit.

1ePKexx.jpg

Someone said you could use these things as a dressing room. Now I believe them.

Edited by Kaar121
  • Like 4

I was worried that the armor would not fit in the job box. So I did a test fit.

20160512_1556331_zpslaarwnnr.jpg

Someone said you could use these things as a dressing room. Now I believe them.

Good luck on your build! Oh, I have to say it! Aren't you a little short to be a stormtrooper?

Sent from my SM-G930T1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So I met up with the Alpine Garrison last night at the library event. It was a spur of the moment decision on my way home from work to stop by and introduce myself. I had planed on 15 minutes but stayed for over two hours. I was blown away at how quickly I was excepted in by the group. Bofore I knew it I was helping them suit up and instucted on being a spotter. I was in awe to see costumes in real life. To look inside buckets. To stand and watch them talk about CRLs and mods to the costumes. I knew then that I had chosen wisely to become a part of this amazing organization. I want to say thank you to IT-42420, TD-99000, jason10012 and Kylo aka Matt. That was fun.

• Like 2

One of the things I really love about movies (especially Star Wars) is the ingenuity and pioneering spirit when it comes to props, costumes and sets. And I would feel that I did not carry on that tradition if I did not try to be creative. So, a little preview of my helmet cooling system. I did not come up with this idea but I did cobble the parts together from things I had. Such as a laptop (dead and useless) and a spare cellphone charger. 

mClCFTZ.jpg

This fan I took off the CPU of the laptop is like a leaf blower. It's enough to make your hair move. I have one other from the laptop but it is integrated into an aluminum duct. I am not sure if I will use it with or without the ducting. I am planning on constructing a junction box with switches to toggle one or both fans. If I place them just right I shouldn't have any airflow problems. My bucket on the other hand may decide to take flight though. 

Edited by Kaar121
  • Like 1

Okay. So, for the electronics. I have the ICOMM & Aker system.

vdoCd0H.jpg

The Aker speaker (bottom left) is the PA speaker. This is the recommended model for the ICOMM. There is a bigger one but I find this to be plenty loud. Next to it is the ICOMM. This produces the skicht static/squelch break to your voice. It doesn't do much for voice modulation but I like the "push to talk" (PTT) function. This way I can talk person to person and not have it broadcast to the whole room that "I've gotts ta pee". The Aker for those who don't know. By it's self is just a VOX speaker amplifier. Meaning, all you have to do is speak and your voice comes out of the speaker. VOX means the microphone is on all the time. Anywho. Across the top are the headset microphone, connection cable and the PTT button cable. The PTT cable goes down my arm to my hand where I just squeeze the button and the microphone turns on (keys in). And lastly a MP3 player for music or sound FX. I will be using a smaller cheaper one then the one shown. Hopefully this week I will be able to get over to the hobby shop and pick up some parts for my cooling system. I need a project box about 2 to 3 square inches, two switches and some wiring. There is also a computer shop here that may have fans that I can pick up.

QFAg4b4.jpg

Sorry this is a crude drawing. This is what I have planned so far on the fan rig. As I get the parts and assemble the bucket I will be able to better refine the set up.

Edited by Kaar121

* * * * * * * * * * * * HOLONET TRANSMITION * * * * * * * * * * * *

Holonet Message: 20160603-1

Cadet Kaar

Fabrication of your Blastech E-11 Blaster Carbine is complete and is currently in transit by Imperial courier to your garrison.

Brett,

Master weapons smith

Imperial Armory, Imperial City Coruscant 

Well, the hobby shop was a bust. They didn't have the connectors that they had online. The ones that they did have were way too big. *sigh*. Good news is that I got the paint and brushes needed for later. I guess I will need to go to plan "I" (internet order) and put the cooling system on hold until later. Maybe I will just solder the whole thing together and say heck with it.  :crushcomputer:  

* * * * * * * * * * * * HOLONET MESSAGE * * * * * * * * * * * *

: : : : : : : PRIORITY ONE : : : : : : :

Holonet Message: 20160607-1

Cadet Kaar,

Fabrication of your stormtrooper armor Model: AP mk 2 is complete. The armor has been shipped to an Imperial distribution depot in your sector and will be delivered to your garrison location by Imperial courier on 2016/06/10 IST.

Mark,

Chief Imperial Quartermaster

Imperial Armory, Imperial City Coruscant