To AP or not to AP?

I'm trying to decide whether springing for the AP set instead of the FX will be worth it for my first set of armor. I had an FX set all lined up but it sorta fell through.

I'm wondering if it would be worth it to get the AP armor instead of FX because it will fit better. I'm 5'10" and barely 140 lbs. Any thoughts?

Also, keep in mind that I'll be getting a different bucket even if I get FX armor.

Thanks!

Sounds to me like you have the exact same body measurements as me. AP will look really good on you. Unless you have an extra arm growing out of the center of your back, but there's mods for that too.

Here's a simple formula for you.

Ā 

At your size, AP will fit perfectly.

At your size, FX won't fit great at all (meaning the chest piece will be all over and the FX bucket, well, it's the FX bucket)

Ā 

All that I'm saying is that you have a great fit for it, and you shouldn't even ask yourself the question.

Ā 

Go for it, you'll thank us all after! :D

Any ANH armor should fit you fine, e.g. AP or TE2. TM is a little larger and the exchange rate can kill you from the US. The AP comes in ABS and requires no painting. TE2 comes in HIPS and requires painting.

What's the largest someone can be for the AP to fit?

I'm getting down there in weight, but I'm just such a "wide" dude I doubt I'll ever get in one. :)

What's the largest someone can be for the AP to fit?

I'm getting down there in weight, but I'm just such a "wide" dude I doubt I'll ever get in one. :)

Ā 

Weight is proportionate to height for armor. So how tall are you?

Weight is proportionate to height for armor. So how tall are you?

I'm 5'11" or so... right now I'm at 220lbs, but that's from 270... and I'm going down (hopefully) to 185 - 190 again.

At 185-190 you MIGHT have to shim the ab and kidney plates but not much and it would look great. I an 5-11 and 145 pounds and theres plenty of room in there.

At 185-190 you MIGHT have to shim the ab and kidney plates but not much and it would look great. I an 5-11 and 145 pounds and theres plenty of room in there.

Ā 

Yeah, it depends. I'm 6'0" and 185lbs or so and actually had to cut away material on my TE2 - 1/2" per side IIRC.

Yeah, it depends. I'm 6'0" and 185lbs or so and actually had to cut away material on my TE2 - 1/2" per side IIRC.

At 6'3" and 190lbs I have to shim the sides of my AP like Smitty mentioned, but not by much - and not nearly as much as with my FX armor, strangely enough. I was actually surprised at how well the AP fit in most places.

As a proud owner of AP all I can say is it looks great. I'm 5'7" so I can't comment on the fit for someone your size. Everyone shims the sides no matter what armor they have. You need to connect ab plate to the lower back plate.

• 1 month later...

I am a newbie and i know there is a sticky on not to post where to buy armor... but, i have completed my fx kit and already looking to upgrade to AP or TE2. So could someone please PM me or post a link on where a guy could purchase these? I would really appreciate it...god i love this hobby. Thanks in advance,

Jamison :trooper:

Being a newbie, I've read tons of threads on this very website about the different sets of armour, I was wondering, if budget was not an issue, what armour type you would all opt for?

Ā 

At the moment I can't decide whether AP or TM would be best for me, I'm leaning towards the AP as I'm 6', just shy of 164lbs. I'd like to find out more about the AP armour and I'd really appreciate some more information/contact details if anyone would be kind enough to PM them to me.