Different strapping attach methods

When using snaps to attach the webbing to the armor, I am seeing two schools of thought.  The first is to attach the snap to a spare piece of ABS and glue it to the armor.  The other is attach the snap to a spare piece of webbing, and attach it to the armor irrespective of if it is a single or double attach method.  What are the pros and cons of each?

I use the webbing method snap plate. I have found that it's sits well against the bends and contours, as well as being a more secure fitting due to the snap actually being punched through the webbing. Where as I have found with abs plates they are more rigid and therefore harder to get to follow the bends and contours. There's also IMHO more risk of the snap breaking free of the plate. I think it's all down to preference tbh. I'd experiment and find what suits you best mate.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I used snap plates but any furure build, i'd use webbing, exactly for the reasons above.

However, I won't be punching holes in the webbing, but using a conical shaped leather awl, to separate the fibres and allow the snap post to go through.

I've used plastic snap plates on my previous builds but my latest one I have switched to webbing. the E6000 is absorbed within the fibers of the webbing to help make a strong bond with the armor and as what was said above ^^ the webbing can contour to the curves of the armor.

I love the clean white look of the snaps built into ABS plates, but for all the reasons cited above, I decided to go with webbing for my snap plates. Flexible, cheap, easy, readily available, no need to take special steps to get the snaps flush mounted (countersunk) into the plastic, and I like how E6000 soaks in for a super good bond. Simple to remove, as well, since you can peel it off with less force.

I used the humble hot nail trick to poke holes in the webbing, which seals the edges at the same time. (Only because I have yet to buy a soldering iron specifically for melting holes, and I refuse to coat my good soldering tools with melted plastic!)

20160430220520-24a5381c-la.jpg

Edited by kman

Webbing all the way.  The only thing you have to be careful of is if you are using the double (side by side) snap method.  In areas where the curve of the ABS is sharper, (like the top of the forearms and bottom of the biceps) the angle can push the snaps connected to it toward each other if they are too close together.

Also, strangely enough, I have used my "el cheapo" soldering iron to make literally hundreds of holes in nylon, and it actually burns off the residue.  I can wipe the tip with a paper towel and it comes up perfect!  Plus, I like the fact that burning holes in the nylon seals the edges of the hole itself, and prevents fraying.  The smell is just AWFUL, though.

Great question and one I've been asking myself lately as i'm helping a recruit with their Anovos build, and want to replace all that velcro strapping.

Sent from my SM-J100Y using Tapatalk

I love the clean white look of the snaps built into ABS plates, but for all the reasons cited above, I decided to go with webbing for my snap plates. Flexible, cheap, easy, readily available, no need to take special steps to get the snaps flush mounted (countersunk) into the plastic, and I like how E6000 soaks in for a super good bond. Simple to remove, as well, since you can peel it off with less force.

I used the humble hot nail trick to poke holes in the webbing, which seals the edges at the same time. (Only because I have yet to buy a soldering iron specifically for melting holes, and I refuse to coat my good soldering tools with melted plastic!)

20160430220520-24a5381c-la.jpg

Yeah, I think the aesthetics of abs plates look cleaner. But the webbing I find to be more practical.