Questions on new FN Armor Maker

tk9948

As far as I understood, the Legion as an organisation does not condone recasting but will not pursue / police recasters.<br><br>

If there's proof that someone has recast someone else's work on the detachment, the sales threads can be removed and the seller would not be a "vetted and approved" seller. Is that still correct?

As far as I understood, the Legion as an organisation does not condone recasting but will not pursue / police recasters.<br><br>

If there's proof that someone has recast someone else's work on the detachment, the sales threads can be removed and the seller would not be a "vetted and approved" seller. Is that still correct?

You are correct, sir! :salute:

Pretty much. If anything falling into conduct unbecoming has happened thats different. All the legion can do is remove ads, refuse membership, revoke memberships, upon good evidence.

his yoke on a stack

vr21ZKl.jpg

My molds and pull

h8QVvfm.jpg

1kaymvR.jpg

If you can not see here the proof, either you do not want to or you are taking Peters side.

I will start a new thread with pics and measurement of all my parts. If Peter has nothing to hide he will post up his pics with measurements as well, That will be the definitive decider.

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

Also, in regards to 3D scanning - the scan itself is usually a point cloud. It's a big fuzzy 3D mess of dots in space. You can't use that scan for CNCing or 3D printing as it's far too rough. The useable model usually is made from scratch, only using the scan as a proportional and size guide.<br><br>

In some circles, digital scanning for reference is not considered recasting because of the work involved to make it useable. <br><br>

This is completely different than we normally associate with recasting (pouring plaster into someone's molds / armour).<br><br>

I'm not siding or supporting one maker or another,I just wanted to add some process information to this conversation. However, I do think the Fisd should discuss and adopt some stance on this. Eg: Anovos clearly scanned RS parts for their OT TK armour. Their molds were made in Aluminum as they stated and showed. So licence holder or not, are they considered "digital recasters?"

• Like 1

Also, in regards to 3D scanning - the scan itself is usually a point cloud. It's a big fuzzy 3D mess of dots in space. You can't use that scan for CNCing or 3D printing as it's far too rough. The useable model usually is made from scratch, only using the scan as a proportional and size guide.<br><br>

In some circles, digital scanning for reference is not considered recasting because of the work involved to make it useable. <br><br>

This is completely different than we normally associate with recasting (pouring plaster into someone's molds / armour).<br><br>

I'm not siding or supporting one maker or another,I just wanted to add some process information to this conversation. However, I do think the Fisd should discuss and adopt some stance on this. Eg: Anovos clearly scanned RS parts for their OT TK armour. Their molds were made in Aluminum as they stated and showed. So licence holder or not, are they considered "digital recasters?

3d scanned as well as plaster recasts, He keeps showing only 3-4 molds, why wont he show the molds in question in the pics.............?

Edited by tk9948

I don't mean to step on anybody's toes here. I know I'm new, but seriously I can't tell what armor to go with to build a TFA FOTK because of all the mud slinging. I can't be the only newbie either that read this thread wondering what's what.

Regardless, has anyone actually obtained this armor and started building it? 

If it were me, I'd do business with a legion member first. In fact, if I were in charge of this outfit, those that are just here to market us, I would send packing.

• Like 1

At this point the dead horse has been beaten. The aggrieved party needs to file a complaint with the lcog. If the lcog finds merit then he can sanction any involved members if needed, and the dl here can remove ads and ban users if needed.

Its not going to stop sales in asia slash europe.

My question for the aggrieved party is: where did your pics and measurements come from for your masters and molds?

My pics came from Celebration Anaheim, of everything TK related, from the Movie costume room there as well as the Anovos troopers walking around, the meausrement were from the display statue at the anovos booth comparisson to me (height width)  in pics as well as seeing the suit in person. Which is really unimportant, considering all of my molds are made from hand carved wood smoothed with bondo as seen in my pics.

As anyone aware of the Anovos build knew it was hush, hush till then, there were no other references available.

And you didn't have your hands on or access to an actual, complete, suit of tfa armour to measure and compare to?

Any pics or video of you actually making the masters, molds, and pulls?

Edited by sylverbard

There has been alot of "mud slinging".

I would like to offer 5 free FN Armour kits delivered free of charge to 5 CO's of any worldwide 501st garrisons to have a good look at my armour kit and to tell the public in an honest way if my armour is a re cast from another person or if my armour kit is just an FN armour kit. If they have the opportunity to compare it to my closest competitor then that would be even better.

I dont want any money for it and I trust you will give me an Honest opinion on my workmanship.

My pics came from Celebration Anaheim, of everything TK related, from the Movie costume room there as well as the Anovos troopers walking around, the meausrement were from the display statue at the anovos booth comparisson to me (height width)  in pics as well as seeing the suit in person. Which is really unimportant, considering all of my molds are made from hand carved wood smoothed with bondo as seen in my pics.

As anyone aware of the Anovos build knew it was hush, hush till then, there were no other references available.

I recall seeing some pictures somewhere of MDF bucks. Are those yours? 

I concur with Pandatrooper; It's not economically feasible to scan a kit for C&C. More work would be involved cleaning it up than drawing it anew. Now had it been drawn first, it would not match up with yours.  Once someone holds them side by side, we will know for certain. We always do ;)

There has been alot of "mud slinging".

I would like to offer 5 free FN Armour kits delivered free of charge to 5 CO's of any worldwide 501st garrisons to have a good look at my armour kit and to tell the public in an honest way if my armour is a re cast from another person or if my armour kit is just an FN armour kit. If they have the opportunity to compare it to my closest competitor then that would be even better.

I dont want any money for it and I trust you will give me an Honest opinion on my workmanship.

:o

On 5/23/2016 at 9:16 PM, sylverbard said:

Hi peter.

All i would ask if i was worried about recasting is : what were those original pictures taken of, the display suits or someones personal suit and what are the deliberate errors you introduced to identify your work from others.

That is a good question.

If I were to copy another persons work then I guess I would follow their mistake?

If they did not make a mistake and then I made a mould that had mistakes in then did I copy them?

The chest armour has the 6 ovals that are all uneven. If it were to be re cast or copy from another part then wouldn't the 6 oval parts all be the same as the part they copied from? Or did we deliberately make them un even at the 3D drawing stage? After they have been manufactured, then cut out and assembled it would not be noticed?

UZYRwn9.jpgA copy or not a copy?

And a copy that missed the dimples on each side of the nipples. We had to hand cut them after that.

Not very good copiers are we!

7Ks6FmC.jpg

What kind of idiot cant even copy a simple chest part correctly?

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

Yet answer the question you did not.

The answer to your question is " the kind of idiot that thinks introducing errors deliberately will mark them as unique work or mask copies."

So, again, did you have access to an actual suit of armour to measure, compare, and perfect from?

If indeed you did it all from 2d pictures of 3d objects in bad lighting harvested from who knows what sensor size and quality, then awesome.

But you really should file a complain with the lcog with pics of you making the originals, taking pics for measurements, sculpting, making mold, pulls, and wearing a suit of your own.

Maybe ask peter to send you a suit of his on loan if hes certain its not a copy for you to compare yours too.

But, stop the witch hunt. If he was a member, your activities come very close to the harassment clauses in the operation protocols. You need to make your accusations where they can be investigated and dealt with. That's not here.

I have stated my defence. My offer of 5 armour kits stands so others can speak the truth

I'll take you up on that. If Kevin sends me one as well, I will compare, video tape and then send them back or donate them to our local charity.

• Like 2

What everyone seems to really be after is an unbiased comparison with all the details. Like an outsider looking in.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I actually trust Wyatt with that.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

As a CO in a different garrison, if you want a second set of eyes and an objective opinion, I'll take up both armour makers on the offer if they are both willing to share openly.<br><br>

Objectively observe, document, review, share the results.

• Like 2

I recall seeing some pictures somewhere of MDF bucks. Are those yours? 

I concur with Pandatrooper; It's not economically feasible to scan a kit for C&C. More work would be involved cleaning it up than drawing it anew. Now had it been drawn first, it would not match up with yours.  Once someone holds them side by side, we will know for certain. We always do

The MDF molds are mine.   As far as being economically feasible, Peter stated in a previous statement that his molds change weekly, I can post that as well, If that is the case I know a block of aluminum is not cheap as well as the cnc time...

On 5/24/2016 at 4:09 AM, fnarmour said:

That is a good question.

If I were to copy another persons work then I guess I would follow their mistake?

If they did not make a mistake and then I made a mould that had mistakes in then did I copy them?

The chest armour has the 6 ovals that are all uneven. If it were to be re cast or copy from another part then wouldn't the 6 oval parts all be the same as the part they copied from? Or did we deliberately make them un even at the 3D drawing stage? After they have been manufactured, then cut out and assembled it would not be noticed?

A copy or not a copy?

And a copy that missed the dimples on each side of the nipples. We had to hand cut them after that.

Not very good copiers are we!

What kind of idiot cant even copy a simple chest part correctly?

Its easy to add bondo to your recast mold and recut the ovals.....CNC is a little more exact, data in data out.

• Like 1

I have stated my defence. My offer of 5 armour kits stands so others can speak the truth

Ill take one. I can compare parts to alpha anovos if you like.

Oh, sorry, im not staff of any kind. But i do own a suit of alpha and i would be happy to use your suit as a charity auction prize.

Edited by sylverbard

Yet answer the question you did not.

The answer to your question is " the kind of idiot that thinks introducing errors deliberately will mark them as unique work or mask copies."

So, again, did you have access to an actual suit of armour to measure, compare, and perfect from?

If indeed you did it all from 2d pictures of 3d objects in bad lighting harvested from who knows what sensor size and quality, then awesome.

But you really should file a complain with the lcog with pics of you making the originals, taking pics for measurements, sculpting, making mold, pulls, and wearing a suit of your own.

Maybe ask peter to send you a suit of his on loan if hes certain its not a copy for you to compare yours too.

But, stop the witch hunt. If he was a member, your activities come very close to the harassment clauses in the operation protocols. You need to make your accusations where they can be investigated and dealt with. That's not here.

Just trying to help people keep from wasting their hard earned money on this crappy recast...........

I am more than happy to have an unbiased person compare, but that really prolongs the whole process, showing his molds would end this issue once and for all, since he is refusing to do that, I look forward to the CO 's  making the comparisons. 

I also nominate Michael Bender as a person to compare this armor, as he was a big part of the whole anovos armor project. I know he will give his unbiased honest opinion!

I also nominate Michael Bender as a person to compare this armor, as he was a big part of the whole anovos armor project. I know he will give his unbiased honest opinion!

you just lost me, brother.
  • Like 1