Celebration 2017 Question

Airborne Trooper

So, I've never gone to a celebration before and living in upstate NY means driving would be a looong drive and flying would be best. For those of you that have gone to celebrations before and have had to fly, how much should I start budgeting for? Anyone make a complete vacation and gone to disney world after? Trying to get the best bang for my buck and know how much I'm going to have to save/spend before I hit the wife with a sticker shock. 

Well here is some info ref hotel stays.  I looked into the Hilton and the Clarion.  The Hilton was $200 a night and the Clarion was $169 a night.  Unfortunately keep in mind that it is going to be most kids school break and its Easter weekend.  So everything is going to be inflated from the hotels, flights, and rental cars.  I am interested to see what people have to say here as well because I have never been to a Celebration either.  But I have my room booked at the Hilton from Thursday to Sunday and it was $709 for the three nights with taxes and fees.

I lived in Orlando and the areas around it for most of my life.

I am not even going to try and stay close to the convention center.

We will be going for all four days and will likely stay more towards East Orlando, should be far less expensive.

Edited by bobio

Book as early as possible (as in RIGHT NOW), and take advantage of as many special deals as you can - for instance, military/veterans' discounts.

As for a budget, I'd say $2k at a minimum - more if you plan on flying and/or staying at a Disney resort hotel. Disney World is expensive ...

• Like 2

If you are military or retired military, Disney World resorts can be up to 40% less expensive. Just call and talk to them on the phone.

The wife was talking about making it a whole vacation by doing DW after Celebration but 2 of my kids are still in diapers and won't remember it. Better off waiting a few more years when it comes back to Orlando and going all out. I figured out I'd be spending upwards to $5k to make all this happen and it makes sense to do it when they are older and get more out of it. 

If you are planning on renting a car, I would suggest looking at some of the surrounding areas, away from Orlando.  There are lots of hotels on I-4 headed west of O-town, around the exit 55 area where I live.  I can make it to Disney in less than 20 minutes, and the prices re WAYYYY lower.  Also in this area you can rent a 3 bedroom house with a pool for less than $1000. for a week.  Zip code 33897 if that helps.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

If you are military or retired military, Disney World resorts can be up to 40% less expensive. Just call and talk to them on the phone.

I believe Shade of Green is the Military resort that charges you according to your rank as well.

As far as budget its the food in the parks that get you, If your coming down with your entire family check out the Blue Heron resort, its a 1200 sqft 2 bedroom condo that has everything but the food in the fridge and its close to everything.  

Absolutely Mike. I often forget about Shades of Green, because we typically stay in resort properties when we go there. We've stayed at SoG in the past, when it provided free parking and Extra Magic Hours at the parks. I'm mostly positive that staying there no longer allows you to get free parking at the resorts, and I'm not certain about the Extra Magic Hours. It does charge based on your rank though, without question, and as hotel rates go, it's pretty reasonable.