T-21 Build with Spool86's resin parts

Well here goes nothing! Printed off my template today and man is this thing going to be huge!!<br><br>

post-15058-0-43420200-1462147478_thumb.jpeg<br><br>

Garand for scale, couldn't find banana.

by the way its Spool68, no 86....

Edited by Joe.Gravelle
  • Like 4

Where's the progress?!?!?!?!  I NEED TO SEE THIS :)

Im looking at taking this route myself!  Hopefully to be finished in time for Rogue One!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit side tracked. I have been busy working on my R2 dome and frame and skins and legs...

But I think I will bring the plans with me to the makerspace tomorrow and see what I can find for scrap wood that will work and get the base made. 

• Like 1

What is the best way to weather the black painted resin to look like metal?

Haven't used this myself yet, but the "Rub'n'buff" stuff seems a good way to go. Trooperbay sells it under 5$ each and have more than one metal finish (silver and gold) don't know if there are others. I will probably try this on my next build.

There are hundreds of tutorials on YouTube showing how to use this stuff. Here is one:

https://youtu.be/Gfw5Q7r2G5U

Hope that helps.

Haven't used this myself yet, but the "Rub'n'buff" stuff seems a good way to go. Trooperbay sells it under 5$ each and have more than one metal finish (silver and gold) don't know if there are others. I will probably try this on my next build.

There are hundreds of tutorials on YouTube showing how to use this stuff. Here is one:https://youtu.be/Gfw5Q7r2G5U

Hope that helps.

I have tubes of that stuff. I think it was like $2 after coupon at Joanne's. Used it on some of my R2 parts so far with dent results.

GAsx20W.jpg

Did the dishes..I mean cleaned the cast parts off with warm soapy water. Today I'll cleanup any casting flash and prep for paint. I think I have satin black on hand. If not I'll get some. Gloss would be to shiny in my opinion.

Edited by Joe.Gravelle
  • Like 2

bought some pine boards to build the blaster this weekend. also picked up the 3" PVC tube and a coupler for the ring. Just need to get the 2.5" plastic conduit (I really hope home depot has it) and the small tubing for the barrel wrap.

shouldn't take too long to build it. I am not going to put electronics in it.

• Like 1

<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://imgur.com/ogzqTSd%27' class="bbc_url" title="External link">http://imgur.com/ogzqTSd</a><br>

Everything is cut to length. Made the rings as well. Now to just screw the barrel to the blaster and glue the shorter barrel to the big one. Btw if anyone needs 2.5" conduit let me know. Lol I have 11 feet of it left. <br><br><br>

I'll pick up some vinyl tubing for the ribbing today and I should have it painted by hopefully tomorrow. <br><br>

I'm not doing any electronics so I'm going to just carve out the trigger. My E-11 has a non moving trigger so no big deal there.

Edited by Joe.Gravelle

Slightly mad at myself. I cut the extra wood for the stock too short. I thought it stopped at the line that's with the little nub on top of the stock but nope not goes past that for an inch to butt up with the side pieces. Now I need to pull the sides off I glued on or just sand them down and redo them.

Just a note for future reference. When using the panda trooper template don't cut to the line. I left an 1/8th inch over the line but I should have left 1/4". No idea why but the resin parts seem to have grown. I would leave the extra wood. Mount your parts and then sand/sculpt the bottom of the blaster. Also be sure that the butt stock extends fully to the back of the top feed plate. I thought the vertical line on pandas was the cut off for the butt. <br><br><br>

anyways I'm making good progress. Main barrel shroud is mounted and screwed to the wood body. Now to make some shims for the smaller barrel. With panda's template that smaller barrel is only like 5-6" past the cup or come you put on the smaller barrel. <br><br><br>

Got vinyl tubing to make the ribbing but not sure how much I need soo may get more tomorrow. Autozone only had 5'. I should have gone to advance auto. <br><br><br>

Got black satin paint and some gold for the fins. Trigger housing has been cut out. I'll glue the trigger in place unless I feel like finding a small spring a pin to make it work.<br><br><br>

I won't have time to get the web slings for the blaster but I hope I can get the butt stock piece that the sling loops around. <br><br>

Also my iPad does not like this forum. It keeps adding br's. <br><br>

Photos coming as soon as I figure out which tag this forum likes.

Edited by Joe.Gravelle

glued the rings to the main barrel and stuff last night. will paint and do body work today. I changed my mind on painting the butt stock brown and weathering it like Pandatrooper did because I have to add in extra wood to bring the stock closer to the resin parts.

So I was dumb and cut the barrel reduced that Spool sends with his kit. If you use this kit don't cut it to match what panda trooper has on his. <br><br><br>

Also if you wish you have the muzzle angle in a bit you'll need to use a 2" to 1 1/2" reducer and the end barrel ring needs to extend far enough out for that reducer to fit in once you trim it down. I didn't do that so I'm going to take a 1" PVC pipe and some styrene and make the cooling vanes for inside the barrel.

I'll have to do that. <br><br>

So I painted the barrel and primed the resin parts. Wish I had used a plastic primer on the PVC pipes. Paint looks good but probably isn't bonded properly. I also used an automotive primer on the resin parts. Those should be ok. I hope.

04460cb6f638dcb556a6ae49b8c6cb68.jpg

dd696bd5c4ad713b36bdcf488a0d83f9.jpg

Stuff painted!! Next week I'll fix the barrel reducer and use bondo for the first time. Glazing putty is only good for filling in bubble holes apparently and not big gaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It should work. Plus if I get scratches and what not I can just dab some silver over it and call it "weathering"

I was just at wal mart and I forgot to get the ring mount for the butt stock so I can install a sling

Edited by Joe.Gravelle

It should work. Plus if I get scratches and what not I can just dab some silver over it and call it "weathering"

I was just at wal mart and I forgot to get the ring mount for the butt stock so I can install a sling

I'm always forgetting something and have to make another trip.