Lumps and bumps on (i.e) RS helmets

It doesn't bother me in the slightest seeing RS helmets' little ripples, lumps, bumps, or whatever you'd call them, on the surface, but has anyone who troops with such armour ever had a member of the public comment on its appearance?<br>

I know they also do a smooth version of the RS helmet, but website says they don't recommend that one.

Never . <br>

Like it or not , most of the public just see a person in white plastic armour . They have no idea weather we wear FX or RS .<br>

Good quality screen accurate armour is for your own pride and accomplishment . Wear it and know it's right . <br>

Another point is that from more than a couple of inches away , the screen accurate bumps aren't noticeable anyway .

• Like 1

I hope people are kind enough not to comment about anything costume related while the owner can hear them.

Even i, and i REALLY dislike the bumps, am nice enough not to do so - not as long as we can be heard by the costumer.

Never . <br>

Like it or not , most of the public just see a person in white plastic armour . They have no idea weather we wear FX or RS .<br>

Good quality screen accurate armour is for your own pride and accomplishment . Wear it and know it's right . <br>

Another point is that from more than a couple of inches away , the screen accurate bumps aren't noticeable anyway .

Oh no, I totally get all that. I'm purely talking about the general public, not anyone into costuming.

I really like the ripples - I reckon they look more like military hardware!

Well the not recommended thing is just to keep the name as the most screen accurate...

I went for the smooth one

that's no moon, Kim Kardashian is bending over again...

What was your reasoning behind that choice? I think i'd like to see them side by side. Only way for me to do that would be to visit the RS workshop.

The lid on my kit is uber smooth.

The bumpy texture is what's screen accurate and IMHO looks the best. If you want uber sterile, go Anovos or wait until Rogue One TKs are made. The general public and fans will not know the difference. You'll probably only get up close reviews or questions on armor from places like maker's fairs. 

• Like 1

Why would the helmet be covered in ripples but not the body armour? RS armour pieces aren't 'ripply' (?!) too, are they?

What was your reasoning behind that choice? I think i'd like to see them side by side. Only way for me to do that would be to visit the RS workshop.

The lid on my kit is uber smooth.

I couldn't compare them side by side when I had to make the decision so I just plumped for the smooth, tbh don't know what made me do it but I did...

The bumpy texture is what's screen accurate and IMHO looks the best. If you want uber sterile, go Anovos or wait until Rogue One TKs are made. The general public and fans will not know the difference. You'll probably only get up close reviews or questions on armor from places like maker's fairs.

Not going anovos, three reasons,

1) lineage is sketchy at best,

2) not paying a ridiculous overblown amount for postage,

3) I'm in the UK, I'll support a UK company over any and all foreign companies wherever possible as our economy needs the money and foreign economies are not my concern...

the force? oh I'll use the force, bring me a hammer...

• Like 1

The bumps and lumps are beautiful. Same as all of the misshaped mess that an ANH TK is is beautiful. I can't look at a tidy symmetrical TK without thinking that it looks wrong. 

I've worn lumpy bumpy helmets for 4 or 5 years, and no one has ever mentioned it, just wanted photos with the awesomeness of having a photo with a TK :D

• Like 3

I love the bumps and ripples, myself. In fact, I prefer when helmets are painted and have drips and chips. I like massive ear gaps, too. No one has said anything negative about my chipper Mr No Stripes when I troop, but I have a feeling they can sense a difference, though. Just like in the film, the imperfections add a real world texture and enhance the look of the armour. It looks more battle worn and used. Most would disagree with me, but I think painted helmets should be a requirement for Centurion or there should be a higher level of accuracy that can be achieved. 

I love the bumps.  All part of the original, never to be improved stormtrooper design that's a work of art.  

Of course, you can always have both!  Cleaned up is nice as well.  I love my TE and AP, just not as much as my RS.

For many years the bumps was all the rage. People were queuing up for Gino's and TE2's helmets only because they still had the bumps.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

All the bumps and lumps were not intentional, lets face it in a real SW universe with super advanced technologie the troopers wouldn't look that crappy! when the average fan sees a trooper in person it should look like a high tech equipment which would be more logical and realistic,  if your a purist and want exactly what was used on set and a exact replica I perfectly I understand, but to honestly say that you actually like all the lumps and bumps I don't think so, the only reason you accept it its because the original helmets had them,  lets say for example there was two version of stunt helmets used in the movie which had exact screen time and in exact same scenes the only difference being that some had all the bumps/lumps and some no bumps/lumps all with same assymetries which is not in question here, the only differences being the bump/lumps, I'm quite sure that if you had only one of the two versions to choose from the ones with no bumps/lumps would be preffered, with all that being said I prefer no lumps or bumps :)

Mark (AP)

Edited by ABS80
  • Like 2

All the bumps and lumps were not intentional, lets face it in a real SW universe with super advanced technologie the troopers wouldn't look that crappy! when the average fan sees a trooper in person it should look like a high tech equipment which would be more logical and realistic, if your a purist and want exactly what was used on set and a exact replica I understand, but to honestly say that you actually like all the lumps and bumps I don't think so, the only reason you accept it its because the original helmets had them, lets say fro example there was two version of stunt helmets used in the movie which had exact screen time and in exact same scenes the only difference being that some had all the bumps/lumps and some no bumps/lumps all with same assymetries which is not in question here, the only differences being the bump/lumps, I'm quite sure the ones with no bumps/lumps would be preffered, with all that being said I prefer no lumps or bumps :)

Mark (AP)

Having never seen lumpy lids (!) First hand, I might change my mind quickly :D Your post is 100% spot-on, of course.

Having never seen lumpy lids (!) First hand, I might change my mind quickly :D Your post is 100% spot-on, of course.

I've seen pics of them on here and I think bumpy is the wrong word, the bumps look like zits so I'd describe it as pimply...

the force? oh I'll use the force, bring me a hammer...

All the bumps and lumps were not intentional, lets face it in a real SW universe with super advanced technologie the troopers wouldn't look that crappy! when the average fan sees a trooper in person it should look like a high tech equipment which would be more logical and realistic,  if your a purist and want exactly what was used on set and a exact replica I understand, but to honestly say that you actually like all the lumps and bumps I don't think so, the only reason you accept it its because the original helmets had them,  lets say fro example there was two version of stunt helmets used in the movie which had exact screen time and in exact same scenes the only difference being that some had all the bumps/lumps and some no bumps/lumps all with same assymetries which is not in question here, the only differences being the bump/lumps, I'm quite sure the ones with no bumps/lumps would be preffered, with all that being said I prefer no lumps or bumps :)

Mark (AP)

For me as a prop collector, to have a helmet like the ones that were screen used it the main goal. If there were 2 versions like you said above, I would get both of them. I want my stuff as accurate as possible, within some reasonable limits, of course. I love all the bumps, warps, dings and dents and, the overall wonkiness of the original props, including the TK helmets. Those things, intended or not, helped create the used SW universe we all love so much.

• Like 1

Just to be clear all the wonkiness and all the asymetries don't bother me at all, thats what gives the look and character we love so much about the ANH helmets, after all these were hand sculpted and are unique piece of art work, its the bump/ lumps that really bother me.

Mark(AP)

Edited by ABS80