Ab/kidney Plate Reshape help

Hi all,

Ok so I've scoured the forums to get insight on how to modify the armour. I found a lot of advice on bending armour to the wearer's body, however I have not been able to find in depth help on the part of the costume I am looking to reshape. 

When I fitted the Ab and kidney plates they fit but they are digging into my back and sternum the way the oval of the clam shape is. I was wondering if there is a guide or a good explanation of the method to make the oval more circular and bring the sides in a bit forcing the back and front out more like the attachment

Here are some pictures of my set up 

post-24594-0-87916600-1461769793_thumb.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Thanks guys. that might work. for comfort. However I still want to fix the oval shape it looks off with the chest plate. the ab and kidney flare out sideways past the sides of the chest. I don't like the way it looks. 

Edited by ComradeDave

My question is how to make the fit of the 2 pieces of armour more circular rather than oval basically. Would a covered iron work or something? 

Unless you plan on using brackets to attach the core torso sections trim the return edges down to 1/8" to 3/16"

Tony is right. The return edges on the top of the ab & kidney armor don't have to be as thick as you have them right now.

My question is how to make the fit of the 2 pieces of armour more circular rather than oval basically. Would a covered iron work or something? 

Well technically it's not supposed to be circular because you're body isn't.  ;) Once you remove some of the return edge you'll feel better about it. If not take a look at 100s of build where the armor is oval, not circular. 

• Like 1

YOu're right Tony, I know I just want to bring the sides in a little bit and push the front and back out a tiny bit. will the belt help this?

Well technically it's not supposed to be circular because you're body isn't.  ;) Once you remove some of the return edge you'll feel better about it. If not take a look at 100s of build where the armor is oval, not circular. 

YOu're right Tony, I know I just want to bring the sides in a little bit and push the front and back out a tiny bit. will the belt help this?

Um well, yes and no. Let me explain, given your frame the more you tighten down on the belt, the more armor will continue to flex and follow the contour of your ab and back which may or may not be circular. The down side is the kidney and ab will start to overlap one another which you want to avoid. I suggest you assemble the left side kidney and ab keeping your goal in mind. From there install your belt and see how it looks.   

• Like 1

Like everyone has told you , if you trim the return edge down to screen accurate , it will allow front and rear to bend far easier , and the belt will pull it around you and shape it to your body . It's the return edge that is keeping your armour solid and inflexible .

I think I have the same problem where my kidney plate is bowing out past my ab plate. I was told some heat could help the issue. Do I have the same issue with the return edges?

------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Yeah Marcus, I need to really trim the returns like Tony suggested that may help me later with the flex.

On 4/28/2016 at 4:57 AM, BroadSword said:

I think I have the same problem where my kidney plate is bowing out past my ab plate. I was told some heat could help the issue. Do I have the same issue with the return edges?

Thanks for the input Terry. I already made a big blunder with my heat gun lol I want to try and stay away from that option :L

On 4/28/2016 at 6:17 AM, pandatrooper said:

It can be reshaped with a heat gun, but very, very carefully.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed
  • Like 1

You could try gluing an ABS tab to the kidney. This tab then tucks inside the ab plate, pulling the kidney in towards it. It's a method that's commonly suggested.

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0251 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Do you know if there is a tutorial on this Kris?

You could try gluing an ABS tab to the kidney. This tab then tucks inside the ab plate, pulling the kidney in towards it. It's a method that's commonly suggested.

I tried using the hairdryer Mark I don't know if I was doing it long enough nothing happened lol

I have had excellent results using a hairdryer to re shape parts heat gun sounds a bit overkill to me .

I tried using the hairdryer Mark I don't know if I was doing it long enough nothing happened lol

Yes you do have to let the part you want to reshape get really hot and it does take a few minutes. As I said I have managed to reshape some parts and I have TM 2MM 

• Like 1

Yes you do have to let the part you want to reshape get really hot and it does take a few minutes. As I said I have managed to reshape some parts and I have TM 2MM

I'll take a pic of the kidney>ab tab I've got in mine when I'm home from work tonight.

Hey mate here's some pics of what I've done with a small ABS tab glued to the kidney side to help tuck it in tight.  This might explain it better than words.  I've slightly bent it to follow the contour of the kidney/ab pieces.

I placed a small tab here so that it's hidden by the belt and avoids having to paint it black/cover with black to hide it.

For the kidney > ab rivet connections, I went with elastic and made the join super tight (the two halves slightly overlap by a mm or so), to allow this side to stretch slightly as I put it on and make a tight seam; and have gone with nylon for the snap connection on the other side as I don't want stretch, just to have it connected tightly.

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed
  • Like 1

Looking tight Kris thanks for the share!

On 4/29/2016 at 9:46 PM, Haso said:

Hey mate here's some pics of what I've done with a small ABS tab glued to the kidney side to help tuck it in tight.  This might explain it better than words.  I've slightly bent it to follow the contour of the kidney/ab pieces.

I placed a small tab here so that it's hidden by the belt and avoids having to paint it black/cover with black to hide it.

For the kidney > ab rivet connections, I went with elastic and made the join super tight (the two halves slightly overlap by a mm or so), to allow this side to stretch slightly as I put it on and make a tight seam; and have gone with nylon for the snap connection on the other side as I don't want stretch, just to have it connected tightly.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed