501st age requirements

The Anonymous Egyptian

Hello 501st,

The other day I was browsing the website, and I saw that the minimum age for joining the 501st was 18. At this current moment, I am 16 years old, but by the time I get my armour from ATA, I'll be 17 (long waiting list). Though I am aware I will be under the minimum age, will it be possible to join the 501st. My main incentive to join was the amount of charity and good I could potentially do and the differences I could make to people's lives. If I cannot join, I'd understand, but it would be a massive shame.

Sent from my 5022X using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi there!  I am dealing with this issue right now in a bit of a different way so let me share my thoughts with you.  My daughter will be 18 in August and we have completed both a Tusken Raider and a TK for her.  As you can imagine, she is SO READY to get out there and start trooping.  She has been able to come along with me on a few troops before and is really ready to be a part of the 501st.

Unfortunately, because she is not yet 18, she can't be an official member and can't troop at events.  In fact, I am trooping tonight at an event that she really wants to attend, but understands that she can't.

The reason for the 18 year old age limit is very simple, it's a liability issue.  That's why it's very clear cut and why exceptions cannot be made.

The relationship that the 501st has with Lucasfilm (and now Disney) and the responsibility that we have at events just requires that everyone who attends be a legal adult.  So, as a result, you have to be 18 to be a member.  If someone under 18 got hurt at an event as a member it would create liability issues that just don't exist with adults.  To protect the organization as a whole, there have to be some rules that have to be upheld.  This is one of them.  It's a bummer if you aren't 18 yet, and I totally understand.

HOWEVER, THERE IS AN ANSWER!  There is an organization called the Galactic Academy.  People who are under 18 can become members in that organization and there are troops where Galactic Academy members are invited if they have an adult with them.  You can also reach out to your local Garrison to ask them about meet and greets or other events where there may be more relaxed standards.  You may be even able to help out in some way with them.  Check out those opportunities and work on your kit. 

So I totally feel you.  My daughter shares the same excitement/disappointment/desire for time to hurry up and get to adulthood.  It's not that we don't want YOU, it's that we all have to make sure the 501st is still here for you to enjoy and be a part of when it is legally appropriate.

Hope you understand.  In the meantime, hang out and socialize and look for ways to participate - they DO exist.

May the Force be with you!

• Like 3

Hi there! I am dealing with this issue right now in a bit of a different way so let me share my thoughts with you. My daughter will be 18 in August and we have completed both a Tusken Raider and a TK for her. As you can imagine, she is SO READY to get out there and start trooping. She has been able to come along with me on a few troops before and is really ready to be a part of the 501st.

Unfortunately, because she is not yet 18, she can't be an official member and can't troop at events. In fact, I am trooping tonight at an event that she really wants to attend, but understands that she can't.

The reason for the 18 year old age limit is very simple, it's a liability issue. That's why it's very clear cut and why exceptions cannot be made.

The relationship that the 501st has with Lucasfilm (and now Disney) and the responsibility that we have at events just requires that everyone who attends be a legal adult. So, as a result, you have to be 18 to be a member. If someone under 18 got hurt at an event as a member it would create liability issues that just don't exist with adults. To protect the organization as a whole, there have to be some rules that have to be upheld. This is one of them. It's a bummer if you aren't 18 yet, and I totally understand.

HOWEVER, THERE IS AN ANSWER! There is an organization called the Galactic Academy. People who are under 18 can become members in that organization and there are troops where Galactic Academy members are invited if they have an adult with them. You can also reach out to your local Garrison to ask them about meet and greets or other events where there may be more relaxed standards. You may be even able to help out in some way with them. Check out those opportunities and work on your kit.

So I totally feel you. My daughter shares the same excitement/disappointment/desire for time to hurry up and get to adulthood. It's not that we don't want YOU, it's that we all have to make sure the 501st is still here for you to enjoy and be a part of when it is legally appropriate.

Hope you understand. In the meantime, hang out and socialize and look for ways to participate - they DO exist.

May the Force be with you!

Thanks for the response! That's cleared up quite a lot for me, and I'll look into the Galactic Academy.

Out of curiosity (probably a silly question) would I be able to independently troop in my armour without 501st affiliation?

Independent trooping is not a great idea in this unfortunate age of literal masked evil doers. Showing up unannounced in kit is no Bueno.<br><br>

Going to a con or something in kit is totally cool! Basically anywhere the public is encouraged to dress up and wear masks, you should feel free to do so as well. But as for official troops or just going out solo, probably just best to wait. But it will go fast. Plus if you spend time and care building your armor that's gonna take a while too.<br><br>

Your enthusiasm and energy are appreciated and understood. Reach out to your local Garrison and introduce yourself. They can point you to more specifics on activities you may be able to get in on right now.

• Like 1

I suggest contacting and meeting up with your local garrison. There are public events that need volunteers and spotters at times. I have seen a lot of minors attending events with a 501st "chaperon". I've taken my own kids to event and even friends of my children. It mostly depends on your garrison.

• Like 3

**puts PR hat on**

The articles that surface periodically about people being arrested in Star Wars costumes? That's generally what happens when you show up unannounced and uninvited. NOT all the time, but we like to avoid that. That's why the 501st operates with request forms to have us invited places. We work closely with our event hosts to make sure our appearance in costumes with fake weapons are okay. Showing up unnanounced and in costume, brandishing a fake weapon is not good.

Also, when we do photoshoots out in places like parks, we check with local law enforcement. We make sure to advise them ahead of time where we'll be, when we'll be there, Is this okay? Example.. I organized a shoot at a popular spot in the national forest here.. I called the park service ahead of time. They said it was okay. Once we were onsite, I spoke to a park ranger, invited them to come over, inspect our things if there was any concern. We were cleared to go have fun in costume and take photos. 

• Like 3

I personally would troop unannounced all the time. At places like walmart, best buy, hastings. Of course with a fellow friend/trooper. Never alone. If you do decide to do this never, ever bring the blaster with you. Leave it at home. I would always get happy responses from the public and people would love taking pictures. It just really depends where you live and where you wanna troop at. 

• Like 1

Independent trooping is not a great idea in this unfortunate age of literal masked evil doers. Showing up unannounced in kit is no Bueno.<br><br>

Going to a con or something in kit is totally cool! Basically anywhere the public is encouraged to dress up and wear masks, you should feel free to do so as well. But as for official troops or just going out solo, probably just best to wait. But it will go fast. Plus if you spend time and care building your armor that's gonna take a while too.<br><br>

Your enthusiasm and energy are appreciated and understood. Reach out to your local Garrison and introduce yourself. They can point you to more specifics on activities you may be able to get in on right now.

Thanks Bobafret!!

I personally would troop unannounced all the time. At places like walmart, best buy, hastings. Of course with a fellow friend/trooper. Never alone. If you do decide to do this never, ever bring the blaster with you. Leave it at home. I would always get happy responses from the public and people would love taking pictures. It just really depends where you live and where you wanna troop at. 

I think the question is to show up as a non approved member in a non approved costume to a garrison showing. That's not good without prmission. It's a free country; you can pretty much dress how you want and go where you want. Just keep in mind that you want to troop with your garrison and get along with them at some point. 

Public events, like conventions or where multiple genre dress up is fine. Even then, 501st members may stare and wonder who you are.

• Like 2

Also, don't forget, it will probably take you anywhere from a few months to a year to actually build your costume once you get your kit, so you probably won't be that far off 18 by the time it is all finished. But best bet is to do as advised above, and get in contact with your local garrison.

• Like 2