Adder's Something From Nothing E-11 Scratchbuild

Addertime

Magazine Housing - Part 2

Time to create: 2 hours
Cost of materials: €0.00

So, here we are, all glued up with JB Weld and sanded. As the substrate was quite thin, I wanted more visual thickness and added some adhesive-backed 2mm craft foam to the inside. This will also provide the compression fit I want for the magazine.

SkrqMP2.jpg 

Next I turned to the top button. I noticed that tinner's rivets have a concentric swirl pattern on top so I shopped that rivet around until I found a wash the right diameter with a perfect sized hole for the rivet. I didn't document this part because I was too busy feeling inspired and just working on it. I made a sandwich with two washers and some JB Weld and placed the rivet in the center and then sawed a groove in the top. In the end, I epoxied it to a spring loaded shaft and mounted the assembly into the housing. It even has a nice little "click" sound. :)

qXnQQIz.jpg k2oALyU.jpg

dngg8gs.jpg eTwk1ml.jpg

COSRh28.jpg _DSF4291_resize.jpg

0QlGe4X.jpg _DSF4294_resize.jpg

ABkR95h.jpg

I'm pretty happy with this piece. :) I made a mock-up magazine which fits nicely and started on the aluminum version. That will have to wait until my next update though and I'm going on holiday for a few weeks so it'll be a while... but I'll be back. 

• Like 2

After much self-deliberation, I decided to add the knurling as Tino suggested. I didn't want to do it, I wanted to move on but in the end, Kev's words kept haunting me. :)

I have a habit of haunting people, and that's before I die...

the force? oh I'll use the force, bring me a hammer...

nice build Michael, really like how you made that power cylinder

Thanks! I had all the pieces in my random bits of stuff in the shop and it came together effortlessly which made it really fun.  :)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

It's probably time for an update... :)

I've actually finished the blaster but I'll continue to add to this thread because it's kinda cool to look back and see how far it came.

Selector Switch

Time to create: 1/2 hour
Cost of materials: €0.05

Using Zeroroom's patterns, I cut the switch from scrap 2mm aluminum.

2oiAlGo.jpg FLQ07Cw.jpg

A little filing and sanding...
qhtvwjT.jpg sTBx0tB.jpg

Having created the front sight guard and knurling, I was emboldened to try other ways of transferring the knurled pattern to my materials...

O4UXkdS.jpg 

zwMfnmq.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice, Michael. Loving your detailed work - and the tutorial-like posting style.

Hoping we don't have to wait another 4 months for the next update?! ;)

Edited by T-Jay

Very nice, Michael. Loving your detailed work - and the tutorial-like posting style.

Hoping we don't have to wait another 4 months for the next update?! ;)

That's fair. I deserve that. 

I swear, on my white armor, that you will not have to wait four more months. :)

Pistol Grip Frame

Time to create: 3 1/2 hours
Cost of materials: €2.50

This part looks simple but I wanted it to be stronger so I used 2mm aluminum which is much more difficult with which to work that the thinner material I used on the magazine housing.

First the pattern was shot with spray glue and adhered to the metal, then I clamped it in the vise and began cutting with a jeweler's saw.

mHb8P6q.jpg atYeDTO.jpg

This was a lot of work and I broke several blades but it was worth it to cut a close as possible to minimize the finishing work.

ausGTAp.jpg lfALtoZ.jpg

Then the usual filing and sanding to the final shape.

I punched the hole for the locking locating pin using my handy-dandy punch and voilà we're done. Oh yeah, don't forget to make two. ;)

YxRG0Io.jpg qNjP40t.jpg

Something I didn't illustrate here was the bend along the top edge. I scored the aluminum with a utility knife and carefully bent the edge to create a flange which matched the curve of the barrel and would later attach to it. That took better than an hour to complete. 

• Like 1

Great work on this project so far!   I'm loving the whole idea of making everything from scratch.

I've never seen a hand punch that could punch metal like that before, I'm going to have to try to find one to add to my tool kit!

:popcorn:

Great work on this project so far!   I'm loving the whole idea of making everything from scratch.

I've never seen a hand punch that could punch metal like that before, I'm going to have to try to find one to add to my tool kit!

:popcorn:

Thanks Jon!

The punch is a Roper Whitney No. 5 Jr style hand punch. It exerts over a ton of force and can punch up to 16ga cold rolled steel. I use it for any rigid sheet material that needs a hole or two. 

• Like 2