Blu-Bin Z6 Riot Control Baton Build

2thin

So after seeing this video https://www.instagram.com/p/BDhPDornIaO/  I immediately contacted the company called Blu-Bin that makes these in kit form or sells them already assembled. 

What ultimately sold me on their Z6 is the fact that it has a metal skeleton that makes this thing extremely durable, which could even allow it to be used for dueling.

Anyways, after I purchased my kit and got it a few weeks later, I discovered that there was no build tutorial for this thing. I could ask the people at Blu-Bin questions but overall I was on my own. 

So, I decided to make a build thread so people will be able to get all the info they'd hopefully need and also learn from my mistakes... There are going to be plenty...

This is what the kit looks like out of the box and after I removed a lot of the excess plastic support structures

ANogxgN.jpg

The first thing to do after cleaning up the pieces a bit is to put the metal strips through the pieces. This however, is WAYYYYY more a pain in the butt than it sounds! After realizing the strips didn't readily slide through the holes in the pieces, I tried hammering them in, which caused all sorts of problems (cracking/shattering the plastic, bending the metal, etc) and when I found this to be a bad idea, it took me 2 hours of constant and careful chiseling to get the metal back out. 

The PROPER way to do it after asking on of the Blu-Bin workers for advice, is to take a hacksaw blade and literally saw the ever-living crap out of those slits until you can push the strips through with a bit of effort. I wish I knew this from the beginning. But I'm not exaggerating. Saw those pieces A LOT. 

bPic8CK.jpg

After getting the pieces to slide relatively easily through the slits, it was time to put the parts together. I started with the middle section. It is important to measure how long the bars need to be first so you can cut them and then slide them through. 

You'll want to start with the middle of the three pieces so there is less of a distance for the rest of the parts to slide down, making it harder for the strips to bend and also causing less friction. Measure everything before sliding them together. 

C6aaJTQ.jpg

3fcPUTb.jpg

BF7TNW4.jpg

Also note that one pair of end pieces is shorter than the other pair, they aren't identical. The slightly longer pieces go towards the grip end.

hkOsLEl.jpg

Once the metal strips were finally put in and cut right, I made the grip piece by using epoxy, and epoxy putty to fill in the creases. I used epoxy putty to also fill in the shattered plastic from me trying to hammer out stuck metal strips.

gBQAHxN.jpg

Next up was making sure the provided LED lights fit through the holes. So I took a drill and widened them to fit.

I then decided to fill in the parts using Smooth On's XTC-3D which basically smooths the finish using thinned out epoxy. I got it on Amazon for about 25$

yDGI76s.jpg

And here's where I am at right now! All the parts got a coat of that smoother stuff and in a day or two I'll sand it down and get the parts ready for paint.

9gHsbQX.jpg

Edited by Sly11
Edited to restore images Sly11 2021
  • Like 2

I also have one of these sitting in a box, what a nightmare of a kit to build with no instructions and the main contact is terrible about responding to messages. Mine even came with a huge hole in the box some I'm not even sure all the parts are there.

• Like 1

I also have one of these sitting in a box, what a nightmare of a kit to build with no instructions and the main contact is terrible about responding to messages. Mine even came with a huge hole in the box some I'm not even sure all the parts are there.

Dang dude that sucks. Look at the pics I have and see if you have all the parts I do. And it is a huge pain to build but it's coming along alright so far. I'll have more progress photos soon!

I sanded some of the parts down and finished the main body section's details and lights. They still need to be wired to a battery, but that's my next step! 

ZOEXraH.jpg

IgQ3kkn.jpg

c10CR19.jpg

I made a mistake with the resin coating on the other parts where it didn't cure properly, so Im gonna have to chisel it all off and put a new coat on before I can smooth it out

Edited by Sly11

How well do you think the handle will hold up when spinning the baton? Looks like only an inch of the handle will be glued into the baton.

Francis TK88001

How well do you think the handle will hold up when spinning the baton? Looks like only an inch of the handle will be glued into the baton.

Francis TK88001

I wondered the same thing too. But judging from the videos I've seen they hold up pretty well. The plastic is really really strong. And I like to think of the connection like a fishing rod, the two parts fit in easily but its difficult to remove it unless pulled straight out. I'll be dumping a lot of epoxy in it. 

I wondered the same thing too. But judging from the videos I've seen they hold up pretty well. The plastic is really really strong. And I like to think of the connection like a fishing rod, the two parts fit in easily but its difficult to remove it unless pulled straight out. I'll be dumping a lot of epoxy in it.

Thanks for your insight. I also messaged Chosendragon, the guy that made the video. He said the connection seems pretty solid.

I'm ordering a baton today.

Francis TK88001

Edited by Backstep
  • Like 1

I figured out the light problem and I cleaned up the uncured Resin coating! 

Ejju151.jpg

vUY49wp.jpg

Here is the circuit diagram given to me by one of the Blu-bin employees. It is worth noting that it doesnt matter which side is negative or positive, but you HAVE to make sure that all the LEDs are going the same way. You can tell the positive/negative ends of the lights by looking at the length of the thing wires sticking out of them. The circuit starts with the positive long end, the short end connects to the next light's long end.

S8ai1Ae.jpg

Edited by Sly11
  • Like 1

Am interested, and about to order I think,.. Any idea what the finish is like on a complete one? Red LEDs are cool.. anyone cracked the idea of the Blue effect on the end of the batons yet? Havnt seen anywhere that has managed it yet...

Have been in touch with them today and they are offering the shields as well now,,, anyone got one or?

Fair play on the guide.. Its made me want to get one now :-)

Edited by dark_jedi_ire

Am interested, and about to order I think,.. Any idea what the finish is like on a complete one? Red LEDs are cool.. anyone cracked the idea of the Blue effect on the end of the batons yet? Havnt seen anywhere that has managed it yet...

Have been in touch with them today and they are offering the shields as well now,,, anyone got one or?

Fair play on the guide.. Its made me want to get one now :-)

The complete ones they sell look fine, it'll save you a bunch of headaches. But I'm choosing to build it myself because I want to make it look like it wasn't 3d printed. Plus making it myself ensures that I'll have something I'm happy with in the end. 

I saw one person wrap some blue neon wire around the end of one of these. It looked cool but I'm not gonna do that. 

• Like 1

Thanks... having looked it more I'm in the exact same mindset as yourself..and getting the kit..at least I KNOW.. I've done the best I can to make it as best I can and the finish I want

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I got a lot done today. The entire main body is basically finished!

1KceusZ.jpg

All I have to do is finish painting the moving part and glue the end cap on. I'm hoping it fits nicely cause getting the lights and wires in while trying to leave enough room for it was kind of a pain!

Also here is where the battery and switch are. Where you see the blue is where you need to sand or file down some material to let the cover slide out without too much force. 

Tiew0er.jpg

Edited by Sly11
  • Like 1

Finally finished after lots of headaches! I'm overall really happy with how it turned out and will take my own video of it in action eventually  :D

5TeNXi6.jpg

Hrnj4ye.jpg

Edited by Sly11
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you so much for this thread. It will be so helpful when building mine.

That was the goal haha let me know if you have any questions. 

• Like 1

Anyone having troubles contacting Blubin? They are not responding to emails and Facebook messages.

Yup, I'm having trouble contacting them! They rarely answer my emails and FB messages. I ordered a baton at the end of April and I'm still waiting for it.

Francis TK88001

• Like 1

I spoke to them a couple of days ago, enquiring about my baton. They told me they were putting on more staff and that most orders only take a month. I only enquired

as I saw some unhappy customers chatting about blubin on facebook and thought I would seek further clarification. I really hope I end up with something for my money.

• Like 1

I spoke to them a couple of days ago, enquiring about my baton. They told me they were putting on more staff and that most orders only take a month. I only enquired

as I saw some unhappy customers chatting about blubin on facebook and thought I would seek further clarification. I really hope I end up with something for my money.

Wow, it has been a week since I've messaged them on Facebook and email. This is really disappointing.

• Like 1

Taking about terrible customer service... I've emailed and Facebook messaged Alder (the owner), Ching and Jacob about my order and no one has replied back to me. I called their store a few times and left messages and no replies. Finally someone answered the phone and I asked about my order and the guy basically said it wasn't his problem and to talk with Adler. This guy said he was busy in a meeting and couldn't really talk to me and that he was a just a guy that worked in a kiosk. I'm waiting to see if i get any follow-up messages from Blu-bin.

Francis TK88001

• Like 1