ESB or not ESB, that´s my question...

hey,

i bought this helmet a while ago and i´m still unsure if this is the right helmet for an ESB style.

i´ve watched all ESB stormtrooper scenes carefully and it seems there were no "hero" looking helmet with the lower brow.

actually this helmet isn´t a real "hero" style helmet but a reworked "stunt" helmet with filled 4th teeth hole and te second ear screw was

sanded down by it´s previous owner.

the screw can easiliy be replaced with a real screw, but i would have to keep the low brow as this helmet is made of fibreglas.

here are a couple of pics... let me know what you guys think!

ESB OR NOT ESB???

7b47cf12.jpg

8b409b06.jpg

3e187057.jpg

4418bea7.jpg

Did you get that on ebay?

Ive been eyeballing this fiberglass helmet kit on there for quite some time. It looks like its quality but I tend to shy away from fiberglass helmets. Anybody ever tried this kit?

34ce_1.JPG

5f39_1.JPG

0dd5_1.JPG

DONT DO IT!!!! That is a shucks helmet. The whole underside is crushed and the top is warped. Thats why you never see it from any other angles... A buddy bought one and regrets it badly. Seriously, he threw it in the trash. Also its not fiberglass, its resin and dirty resin at that.

Did you get that on ebay?

Ive been eyeballing this fiberglass helmet kit on there for quite some time. It looks like its quality but I tend to shy away from fiberglass helmets. Anybody ever tried this kit?

34ce_1.JPG

5f39_1.JPG

0dd5_1.JPG

thanks for all your thoughts, i think this will become a ESB helmet sooner or later! ;)

@ Smitty

i bought the helmet almost a year ago, over at the mepd board, from another member.

i think i remember him writing that helmet didn´t came from Ebay, but i might be wrong...

anyway, i plan to give it a paintchipped and screenused-look painting following existing reference pictures from various ESB helmets.

low brow or not, i plan to do this helmet like a stunt helmet with two real earscrew instead of the already existing resin/fg screws.

finally i planto ad GundamZeppelin´s absolutly great screenaccurate ESB decals and green flat acetat lenses.

i don´t know how long this project will take, but i will post progress pictures...

once again, thanks for your thoughts!

feel free to post your suggestions and thoughts at any time! :rolleyes:

I dont understand. Are you saying that the SFS helmet that TE was selling had smashed tubes too? That grey helmet above has smashed tubes and looks like the matt is dead guys helmet, not the SFS. If the original SFS fiberglass helmet that matt was selling was smashed I never heard anything about that.

The SFS fibreglass helmets aren't "smashed". The original SFS was. Its not actually "smashed" its more like warped, basicly due to the way the helmet was put together. I was able to mimic this effect with an HDPE helmet kit I got off Matt. Its normal.

The "MattIsDead" bloke is selling recasted POS copies he made from one of the F/G SFS helmets.

OK, so matt's SFS helmets that he sold for $900 have pinched tubes, and thats normal? I dont see that on the SFS screen used helmet at all.

I know the "mattisdead" guy is selling recasts. I had assumed he must have done a really poor job though, because my buddy told me that it was really messed up. The side tubes were actually pinched like someone had sqeezed them together and the dome had huge indentations in it. The back curved area was pinched at the bottom too.

Sorry to go on and on, I just cant believe that Matts "TE" was messed up too. Glad I didnt buy one!!

Armando,

The TE SFS is a fibreglass one piece helmet that was made from the laser scan of the original SFS helmet. The one you have is not an SFS, but a HDPE stunt helmet and I'm not sure where those moulds came from. The face does look as though it came from the SFS and looks modified slightly.

I have to say (once again) that your helmet looks absolutely fantastic :duim:

Mike - You can clearly see the same warpage in that pic, it doesn't look as servere as the first picture posted because its taken at a lower angle. The SFS helmets aren't bad at all. I own one, and I think its great. Most people are simply symetric freaks and get depresses when their screen accurate prop isn't so perfectly symetical.

AJC - No moulds were taken from the actual original helmet besides the ears. The SFS helmet, and later HDPE helmets were the result of a 3D scan taken at Gentle Giant. Yes the HDPE moulds were taken from the SFS F/G mould, and then altered to be closer to how they were originaly. If you took the original SFS helmet apart, it would flex back and look more "normal". Its simply a side effect of using thin pastic, and the way it was assembled. Many helmets were like that, especially the ROTJ/SE versions.

I dont think we are talking about the same thing. I will see if I can find a pic of the mattisdead guys helmet from the underside. NO MATTER WHAT, trust me.....you do not want the mattisdead helmet from ebay. You will be heavily disappointed.

If you took the original SFS helmet apart, it would flex back and look more "normal".

that's what I thought too! It was casted off in the back flexed position so it's not present at the styrene TE replicas.

But even on the scanned fiberglass SFS helmet isn't everything correct. The trapezoid on the front right for example is smoothed out to the bottom. Looks like a laminating issue or another casting issue.

Marcus

• 4 weeks later...