(Cheap) Helmet mods

You need fans! Most troops are actually inside in a convention hall those can get hot with all the bodies present, be it hot or not you heat up once you are wearing a full suit of plastic over your body. Lenses fog super fast and then your very limited vision is zero. I have dual fans which great when its warm, and if its not warm I just run 1 of them and that air flow keeps the lenses fog free. 

• Like 1

You need fans! Most troops are actually inside in a convention hall those can get hot with all the bodies present, be it hot or not you heat up once you are wearing a full suit of plastic over your body. Lenses fog super fast and then your very limited vision is zero. I have dual fans which great when its warm, and if its not warm I just run 1 of them and that air flow keeps the lenses fog free. 

Exactly! I get hot quick so I run 4 fans at times, two intake two exhaust. As much as I like to promote my cooling system I use an Echo bracket ( with my own fan and switch setup) with multiple switches. When it's cool I leave everything off, getting a little warm I power on 1 intake and one exhaust to keep the lens clear and me cool, when it get really hot all 4 are running. I'm trying to work out some kind of deal with Francisco to have my own version of his bracket without taking any business away. Things are in the works, bottom line you can go cheap or the sky is the limit.  

• Like 1

OK so everyone I've spoken to about fans in the UK are wrong? Or maybe lying to me? Lol... sheeesh...

that's no moon, Kim Kardashian is bending over again...

It does get hot and stuffy in a TK lid, mate. The longest i've worn mine was probably about 15 minutes. Not a long time at all and I wasn't exerting myself, but the moist, warm exhalations do seem to just stay there. MUCH more comfortable with even one fan in there.

Do I think it's an absolute must? Maybe not in our typical climate.

Does it make things much more pleasant? Hell yes.

• Like 1

OK so everyone I've spoken to about fans in the UK are wrong? Or maybe lying to me? Lol... sheeesh...

You also have to keep in mind there are die hard purists who will swear up and down "They didn't have them in the movies so you don't need them either" bla bla bla bla bla Whatever! You do what's best for you Kev. Go troop without them. If you find you need them then you have your answer. Nobody is pressuring anyone here to load their armor with non-essential goodies, but some sure make trooping more pleasant.

• Like 2

Well I have roughly £380 at the moment, £132 of which is going to be spent on an ATA helmet tonight. I'm a little flexible as I'm not paying till February for my armour, so I have time to save up a little extra, but my first 'troop' is soon, so I'm trying to spend as little as possible till I get my armour. Bear in mind I have yet to get decals, shoes, under garments and neck seal, and of course shipping on top, lol.

Edited by The Anonymous Egyptian

Oh also I'm in Ipswich so the climate is temperate, but has been known to get a little high at times. Weeell high for British standards. Overall I'm sorta used to high temperatures, being from Egypt and all (40°C+ in summer)

Has anyone tried modifying the little fans, to constrict the outlet, say into a cone-shape, to force the air around the lid?

Use 4, 2 facing up in the front and 2 facing down at the back (midway down) will give you better circulation up over the top, or 1 front 1 back if you don't want 4...

Well I personally use a custom version of Echos, but if not his then of course I endorse my version sold on my sales thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Just chiming in to say that a fan would be first and foremost for you, especially since you are going to be in a hot stuffy dance. Inexpensive and efficient by any budget's standards!

According to yeebeme who also wears glasses under his helmet he doesn't have or need fans...

Yup, never used fans in my helmets. I always troop with glasses on and never had a problem (even with the fibreglass helmet for my FOTK! With all that padding!). Personally for me I don't think fans (for OT TKs, other costumes will vary) are really needed up here in Scotland where it's not just cold but really humid as well (was bloody freezing on a troop this weekend in my TK when we were standing outside, made me miss the FO TK gaskets :lol:).

Having said that, everybody is different, some people might need them and others might not. I'd say they are definitely needed in warmer locations. The very fact that I troop with glasses on amazes even people over here! If you don't need them then that's great but if you do then that's fine as well. There are certain troops we do like Hamleys in Summer where it's like being in a greenhouse where fans would prove useful. Give fans a try, It is better to have something and not need it than need something and not have it :)

With regards to mics, I have just found the Troop Talk application on android. If I could find decent amplifier will this be suitable? Also, anyone does know how I could mic up my phone instead of using my phones mic (its very cardiod so it captures a little too much, resulting in quite a bit of feedback) ?

Yup, never used fans in my helmets. I always troop with glasses on and never had a problem (even with the fibreglass helmet for my FOTK! With all that padding!). Personally for me I don't think fans (for OT TKs, other costumes will vary) are really needed up here in Scotland where it's not just cold but really humid as well (was bloody freezing on a troop this weekend in my TK when we were standing outside, made me miss the FO TK gaskets :lol:).

Having said that, everybody is different, some people might need them and others might not. I'd say they are definitely needed in warmer locations. The very fact that I troop with glasses on amazes even people over here! If you don't need them then that's great but if you do then that's fine as well. There are certain troops we do like Hamleys in Summer where it's like being in a greenhouse where fans would prove useful. Give fans a try, It is better to have something and not need it than need something and not have it :)

Thanks for that, was starting to feel very ganged up on lol...

Thanks for that, was starting to feel very ganged up on lol...

As Yee says, if you have the fan/battery ready, velcro in place inside the helmet, it'd take seconds to fit the fan if you felt it was needed :)

As Yee says, if you have the fan/battery ready, velcro in place inside the helmet, it'd take seconds to fit the fan if you felt it was needed :)

I have 4 of the things, was inspired by ukswraths wiring harness for everything using an anker, then decided to go wireless... now, pffffft, I've no piggin idea

I have 4 of the things, was inspired by ukswraths wiring harness for everything using an anker, then decided to go wireless... now, pffffft, I've no piggin idea

:laugh1: so many decisions 

• 3 months later...

Hello again guys! Sooo, I went to Maplin (the British equivalent of Radioshack) and managed to get some small fans!!

c75eb372cfcadde6c363a2986184da30.jpg661730b22e255e1e6b9ad5a9fbd86527.jpg

Both were meant to be 6V, however it seems I've ended up with a 6V and a 3V . Anyway, the total cost (fans, clips and batteries) came to about £20

• Like 1