(Cheap) Helmet mods

Soooo my first 'Troop' (only wearing the bucket) will be at my upcoming prom (primarily as an end of school gag), but it'll be midsummer at evening, plus it'll be daylight till about 9-10PM in the UK. So I think it may be in line to get some mods, but... I'm still very new to all of this, so what mods (if any) should I consider getting? I'm thinking mics or a fan.

I guess it depends on what you call cheap...

Cheapest mic option is a mic with an amp, about 21quid on amazon (Aker 10w)...

After that mic electronics hikes the price up drastically...

As for fans, you can get small(ish) ones on eBay for £3.45 each but you will need a power source too, a 3AA battery box would power 1 fan, again eBay for about £2...

that's no moon, Kim Kardashian is bending over again...

Edited by AWOL
  • Like 1

Lol I've certainly blown my budget a little, but I have some to spare, since, the armour isn't coming till February

Sent from my 5022X using Tapatalk

Well I always recommend comfort over everything else. If you think you'll be trooping in warm climate go with a cooling system.

• Like 1

First cheap thing you can do is paint the bucket with plasti-dip.

Honestly, nothing cheap about this hobby unless you can DIY. I had to go fans out of necessity at first.  I purchased a $30 dollar 5v fan setup (hi-tech toyz) on ebay and it sucked figurative and literally. Went through 3 9vs in 3 hours. Penny wise pound foolish... For a little more you can build one yourself, so i did. It's like home improvement projects. Add a little at a time.

• Like 3

Tbh, from talking to UK members and reading lots of posts it seems that fans in the UK are pretty much not needed... I'd spend the money on a mic setup but if you do decide you want fans, 5v smallish £3.99...

-------------

As I said earlier though you will also need to fit a power supply for them...

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

About £6 would buy you 5v fans and two 4xAA battery packs with on/off switch on eBay. Easy to wire together and effective enough for airflow. I did this in my bucket and I'm happy with the results.

BUT...I am about to do a mod using power banks - not because I need to but because I'm intrigued!

26871b1f5808455b0bece65fc5b1869a.jpg

Edited by JAFO

About £6 would buy you 5v fans and two 4xAA battery packs with on/off switch on eBay. Easy to wire together and effective enough for airflow. I did this in my bucket and I'm happy with the results. 26871b1f5808455b0bece65fc5b1869a.jpg

Exactly what I tried to do, but they sent 12v fans instead of 5v! (They refunded)

No worries, I bought a couple of 9v battery cases for pennies, and they work pretty well with 12v fans, so I have a couple of spares now.

I def recommend fans first.  Mics and audio can come second. When your trooping it's more important to stay as cool as possible over talking. I did some tests with my fans and I wore them running for awhile and then I turned them off and my lenses instantly started fogging up.  When I turned the fans back on the fogging went away.

I bought Ukswrath's Fan kit and it works great! Super affordable too!

Cooling Fan Kits (3/1/16) - http://www.whitearmo...oling-fan-kits/ ONGOING!

• Like 2

I think price is what's the issue on this hence the word CHEAP in the title...

And while yes Ukswraths stuff is outstanding I doubt it would fall under "cheap" to a 16yr old...

• Like 1

I think price is what's the issue on this hence the word CHEAP in the title...

And while yes Ukswraths stuff is outstanding I doubt it would fall under "cheap" to a 16yr old...

Hey! By the time I was 16 I'd already bought a moped, a car, surfboard and all the accessories, skateboard and all the accessories, a dirt bike and a shot gun. 

All while living with a single mother raising 3 kids. Not to brag, but it's doable. ;)  :duim:   

edit: I'm not saying to buy my stuff, there's plenty of choices. 

• Like 3

Hey! By the time I was 16 I'd already bought a moped, a car, surfboard and all the accessories, skateboard and all the accessories, a dirt bike and a shot gun.

All while living with a single mother raising 3 kids. Not to brag, but it's doable. ;):duim:

edit: I'm not saying to buy my stuff, there's plenty of choices.

When I was 16 I was doing something productive, I joined the army, mother was also single with 4 kids...

This is all irrelevant to the fact that the post says "cheap"

• Like 1

Tbh, from talking to UK members and reading lots of posts it seems that fans in the UK are pretty much not needed...

What!? Lenses don't fog up in the uk? :smiley-sw013:

Edited by cjdesign

When I was 16 I was doing something productive, I joined the army, mother was also single with 4 kids...

This is all irrelevant to the fact that the post says "cheap"

What's your definition of cheap?  :laugh1:

According to yeebeme who also wears glasses under his helmet he doesn't have or need fans...

I couldn't go 1 minute without fans. When the fans shut down I have a bout 5 minutes before I need someone to guide me to safety.  :laugh1:   :blink:

• Like 2

I couldn't go 1 minute without fans. When the fans shut down I have a bout 5 minutes before I need someone to guide me to safety. :laugh1::blink:

You don't live in Scotland where top temperature is 17 below in the summer

And it's not my definition of cheap that matters but I can build a dual fan system for about $15 which is pretty cheap

• Like 1

You don't live in Scotland where top temperature is 17 below in the summer

And it's not my definition of cheap that matters but I can build a dual fan system for about $15 which is pretty cheap

Man I would love to troop my FOTK in any temps under 50F.

I couldn't go 1 minute without fans. When the fans shut down I have a bout 5 minutes before I need someone to guide me to safety.  :laugh1:   :blink:

No Joke... On my first troop I was in front of a group of people I couldn't see, nor did I know where to look at during photo ops. So foggy!!

I though a single 9v battery was sufficient for 2 hours. :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1:

Edited by cjdesign
  • Like 2

Man I would love to troop my FOTK in any temps under 50F.

I thought it would be worst? hot breath inside the helmet - cold air outside. I guess it depends on how much airflow you have in the bucket.

Edited by cjdesign
  • Like 2

I don't think $40 (plus whatever for Intl) is too expensive for teenagers these days. And yes he could save some money putting them together himself.

Edited by Squimspickle

I don't think $40 is too expensive for teenagers these days. 

Roger that! My son has his own car, pays his own car ins, works two jobs and goes to college. $40 is a cheap date even as a teenager

• Like 1