Starfox2010's TFA Stormtrooper Build

Bondo doesn't flex enough and paint may develop cracks in the future.

Most good glazing putty, especially the type with built in hardener has a 60 degree flex radius where bondo doesn't.

Especially on the yoke, avoid bondo, Build up any heavy holes or valleys with plastic welder then use glaze putty for every where else less than 1/8" thick.

Bondo doesn't flex enough and paint may develop cracks in the future.

Most good glazing putty, especially the type with built in hardener has a 60 degree flex radius where bondo doesn't.

Especially on the yoke, avoid bondo, Build up any heavy holes or valleys with plastic welder then use glaze putty for every where else less than 1/8" thick.

Will do, Thanks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I did a few pieces, A while ago Walter and I found that there were some differences in out armor,

one was that mine was extra glossy,Sort of like my AM armor, and boy is it difficult to sand off.  the chest plate I did a while ago and now I have carpal tunnel  :blink:  (still need to remove bondo)

I ended up getting a little mouse sander and it does help a lot but have to go over it a few times.

Anyways, here's a little update pic, since I feel my thread is fading away.

x7BOxH9.jpg

Ill try to do a better shot of a comparison but here's one 

iWsKGhH.jpg

Edited by Starfox2010
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I' still working on this, I swear.  Nothing much to post but me sanding my life away.  I'm going crazy!  When I think i'm done with a piece, I tilt a bit and bamn, I forgot a spot. I sand and then tilt at another angle, and bam  nope keep sanding.  

and these are tedious pieces.   I threw a fit last month and I kinda sanded it with a heavier grain on my mouse sander and now I see some scratched swirls. 

I feel like Frank Costanza 

tenor.gif

• 1 month later...

Ok I gave the putty and sanding another go. I also added the nipples, lol.

I tried adding the putty to little spaces in the center cavity but I think im going to carve it out and keep trying to completely fill the little hole (top left in blue) with the devcom. everything else seems pretty smooth all around. 

BTW, anyone know of the best way to sand these little resin pieces.  the nipples were a beast to sand, and worried about the forearm pieces.

kwA6bM7.jpg

Im going to try and see if I have any friends in the auto repair business. I still dont feel comfident about the spot putty.  I find little pockets and when trying to gently sand into them, I just end up clearing the whole

thing off. or the edges arent smooth enough to where I completely remove it. I tried taking a break and helping my brother with his Scout armor to prevent me from flipping the table over so I think im going to seek 

in person advice. 

This side was better off without the putty.

dfgI429.jpg

This side is ok

M1X9BUs.jpg

for the other forearm, I really like the outcome for this side.looks

like crap to me but felt smooth all the way down.

itVM2yQ.jpg

For the left and right ab piece, I honestly think I dont really need the putty.I think I did a good job adding a lot of

devcom all the way down. except for some pockets, im sure ill end up sanding down all the putty.

20170220_203140.jpg

20170220_203131.jpg

Well thats what I have for now.

Edited by Starfox2010
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hahahahahha! Almost one year we started!

giphy.gif

Good thing building armor is not a race lol

It just puts a damper on my spirit for not meeting my personal deadline. 

From what I've been told, I may be mixing wrong.  A friend suggested I mix the bondo a certain way, so ill give that a go this weekend.  If this fails, ill just take him a part and have him show me.

• Like 1

Well to be honest Rick you don't want to use bondo, it isn't flexible enough, use spot putty. Spot putty doesn't require any mixing, the hardener is already mixed in and it has almost 360 degree flex. .

Back to the prep. Most valleys and peaks should already be filled in with the Devcon of similar. Spot putty is for areas less than 1/8" deep.

• Like 1

Rick, wait until you see mine......Its two armors put into one!      My diet and exercise program is not going so well.     :laugh1:

Yea but your food looks good. Every time you post one of those beautiful meals your making or buying, on FB I run to the grocery store. Heck it's making me fat   :laugh1:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

you wont believe, lol.  I spoke to someone from Mando Mercs, he stated to use a golf ball size putty with pea size hardener and its looking a lot better.

Of course I got to finish sanding with an extra fine sand paper but for now, I can yell Eurika! 

Here's what I got:

Feels smoother than looks in person.

20170518_210813.jpg

20170518_210741.jpg

TD, still working on it, gona add a second round, I dont feel it completely smooth on this one. I also need to fill the joining teeth.

20170517_215821.jpg

20170517_215809.jpg

20170517_215803.jpg

This is the part I want to add more to, not completely rounded off. 

20170517_215749.jpg

The following look ugly but they are smooth (lol)

Biceps:

20170517_215730.jpg

20170517_215718.jpg

Forearms:

20170517_215703.jpg

20170517_215657.jpg

20170517_215623.jpg

20170517_215631.jpg

Like I said, still have some work to do but for now it's good news. of course i'm going to have some garrison members take a look at it when i'm "done" to see if i'm good to go. 

• Like 1

What are you using Rick?    Putty and hardener make and where did you buy?

Using the one Tony recommended. along with a blue colored hardener.

Poly-Flex flexible polyester glazing putty - http://www.amazon.co...ailpage_o03_s00

• Like 1

Thanks Rick!   $41.87 a bottle....wow!   Gimme your left overs!      :D

It's a big bottle.  Are you getting close to that stage?  Maybe we can do another Armor Party soon and use it there and then see how I can leave you some in a container.

I used quite a bit for having to re-apply lol. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Long time no post.  Ill try to keep it up more frequently, nothing much to really update unless you want to just see "sanding" on every post lol.

Bellow is one of the parts I was stuck in.  there was too much of a gap and it was worse in person than in this first pic:

Before

oF08TCy.jpg

After sanding the top and bottom sides.  very scary, I practiced on the resin cast that came with the Anovos kit before committing to R2 Dans. (yes missing top plate :D ).

looks so much closer and I haven't attached the nuts on the inside.

Sn9Uuil.jpg

• Like 1

Heat bending the clips. and glued the top rib thingie on bicep.  

r0tWnGw.jpg

If my build wasn't frustrating enough, I somehow bent the screw that goes into the holster with the bearing.  I'm having a hell of a

time looking for a place that carries it.   But i'm almost done.....