Starfox2010's TFA Stormtrooper Build

So...Here I go (takes deep breath and exhales).

My build might be a bit slow, My helmet with softparts hasn't came in yet and don't know when they'll be shipped.

I also don't have the instructions manual yet, and might be some time before Anovos gets that to me (I placed a ticket).

My Checklist 

Boots / Gloves: Imperialboots

Undersuit / Neckseal: Stormtrooperundersuits

Holster: R2Dan 

Suspension Kit: Ukswrath  

Pouches: TK-4510 / grmhodes13 (not sure yet)

Blaster - F11-D:  JJ Armory Inc.
Riot Baton:  Still looking.

Riot Shield:

Obligatory boxes

20160406_191424.jpg

Sh** really got real when I took out all of the parts. (obligatory FB post photo)

38ec1ba7-9427-488f-a514-78b24f4a2dcb.jpg

Ok, so since i'm going off of other post pics, I am trimming some to a certain point until I know for sure.

20160421_092057-1.jpg

What's a bit tedious is the return edge's..return edge? (if thats how you say it).

I still feel these need a bit sanding down, what do you guys think?

0a7f7591-4688-4602-bab0-0dfbcfeafbc5.jpg

34b3a870-166d-4169-b7e7-b182188303f2.jpg

Edited by Starfox2010
  • Like 3

Hello Rick!   Nice to see a build thread for your TFA!    I'm subscribing!!!

I did the same thing..... open up a cold one to start! hahahahha!!!

38ec1ba7-9427-488f-a514-78b24f4a2dcb.jpg

Edited by Haribon72

Time for a Monday update:

I was able to trim a lot of them but not sanded down to perfection just yet.  I did have a question though, Do I trim this part down on the shoulder piece? (shown in pencil). The one displayed on the manual is an overhead shot.

4be6c171-2a12-4a8e-a215-f2ee80013e4b.jpg\

Here are some more trimmed items, since the majority of this build is trimming I thought Id display some, lol.

Cod

6dc93b96-2ece-4888-be62-adf5c83141c5.jpg

Biceps

9bff1fd9-621b-4b4d-a22b-f48fbf9ee373.jpg

Ankle parts

8625ae8e-17c6-4f8b-9ac4-25aab3eaf5f6.jpg

Shoulder bell parts

c71751fb-5575-465c-a061-4cadc4fad933.jpg

and shoulder piece.

bcbdb9f0-7a62-4957-b78a-3e9cdca68fb6.jpg

One question on the shoulder piece from the side.  do I trim down the end piece on the sides or shave

it even?  I hope you can see it

e1509058-5155-4c55-bed7-f4854355a7e1.jpg

Also started working on the ankle pieces.  in this image, I just wanted to 

see what I will be working with, I haven't really sanded it down yet (or glued).

699a12af-dcf8-4ded-b00d-c440382b13b3.jpg

One last question.  should I start sanding/prepping the pieces for painting, now or wait until everything is put together?

Thanks for watching / helping

Monday update.

I wasn't able to get much done since I had to work through the weekend. On the bright side, I got lots of OT which helps me out getting more stuff for this awesome hobby :) .

Ok so I trimmed and I trimmed and I trimmed and just about finished trimming everything.  Next is sanding everything down.

Obligatory box of trimmed pieces:

c2130d16-aa7b-45c3-ae90-33ee86e441a7.jpg

I'm a bit unorganized, doing random pieces, and holding back on ones that i'm worried about but here's the ab piece im working on right now.

Trimmed and sanded, top and bottom

5b1a3942-8ea5-40c9-b6ba-7168895d93c4.jpg

7f4db0a7-b502-4256-b457-e26acfdc0a0c.jpg

Left Side (I tried trimming with a dremel sander, no no):

20160502_084342.jpg

Right Side:

20160502_084305.jpg

Is the bottom part supposed to be like this?

20160502_110834.jpg

Next up is fitting the boxes.  I did the center one (I9) and it looks good hardly any gaps.

c4908128-841d-4e3a-b388-eee060fed656.jpg

I'm going to continue what I can and with prepping.  I think i'm going to consult with someone in my garrison before I glue my first piece,

although I was able to do my other TK by myself, I find this one a little more risky, and the way Anovos is with getting our stuff out, who knows

when I would be able to get a replacement part.  Not bashing, just know that they are overwhelmed. 

• Like 1

Remove all the return edge from the yoke, the surface should be flat. Edit: When I say remove all the return edge I meant the flashing or excess sticking out from the return edge.

I encourage you to wait until everything is assembled before doing any paint prep. Believe me, this will save you a lot of time.

Looking good Rick

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Overdue update. 

I didn't have much time to work on my armor, My highschooler has been going through prom, finals and graduation is around the corner. 

I had time to work on some stuff over the weekend, and hope I can get some suggestions.

CHEST PLATE  :blink: 

My friend Walter (Haribon72) had a great idea about photocopying the resin piece to make the cuts as close to the shape as possible. 

8d4c492b-2ee8-4d80-b2a1-e93320ebb7a9.jpg

Ever ordered a Red Eye from Starbucks? well the the shakes you get from the caffeine resemble what I felt like making the cut with a Box cutter.

a344ed13-c135-42b2-bb66-f6bd602fb18c.jpg

The idea about photocopying about the resin chest piece.. GENIUS! It was spot on. I think im going to sand a little bit more, to make sure there's

no tension.

20160515_151344.jpg

I clipped the wings and also started on the pill holes, man are these nerve wrecking.

20160515_203318_1.jpg

Here's where I'm stuck.  I clipped its wings and if you can see, the way it was pulled you can see 2 return edges, not including the one I cut.

I think, im going to go acording to the back of the wing, and then just bondo the front to smooth it out.  Any suggestions? you can't really tell with touch,

I think I just took a great shot of this because its difficult to see normally. But I can see  :icon_eek:

5d6026fc-d099-4590-91a8-e8da3dca3eb2.jpg

Thanks.

Edited by Starfox2010
  • Like 1

Overdue update. 

I didn't have much time to work on my armor, My highschooler has been going through prom, finals and graduation is around the corner. 

I had time to work on some stuff over the weekend, and hope I can get some suggestions.

CHEST PLATE  :blink: 

A friend had a great idea about photocopying the resin piece to make the cuts as close to the shape as possible. 

Ever ordered a Red Eye from Starbucks? well the the shakes you get from the caffeine resemble what I felt like making the cut with a Box cutter.

The idea about photocopying about the resin chest piece.. GENIUS! It was spot on. I think im going to sand a little bit more, to make sure there's

no tension.

I clipped the wings and also started on the pill holes, man are these nerve wrecking.

Here's where I'm stuck.  I clipped its wings and if you can see, the way it was pulled you can see 2 return edges, not including the one I cut.

I think, im going to go acording to the back of the wing, and then just bondo the front to smooth it out.  Any suggestions? you can't really tell with touch,

I think I just took a great shot of this because its difficult to see normally. But I can see  :icon_eek:

Thanks.

Unfortunately some of the chests have a double valley. You'll need to fill it in or sand it out.  

Looking good

• Like 1

Tony was right.   

Mine = No valley

Rick = Double valley.

Also, we compare the both of our armors.

Mine = Matte finish

Rick = Glossy

Interesting findings and love that Rick and I are working together now on this build.   Lots of laughs and jokes while cutting our chest plates yesterday.    :laugh1:

So happy i'm not struggling alone!

Edited by Haribon72
  • Like 1

Baby steps on progress.  this is pretty scary, if it were E6000 I would have glued almost everything already. oh well.

So the little progress I have for today was the pill holes and the center chest piece. I was able to cut out the smile, and trim the square enough for

the piece to slide in.

20160517_223328.jpg

Going to try and glue in the chest piece tomorrow.

• Like 1

Well I tried doing the strips for the wings this morning and.....uh, I need a new gameplan.  tried to fold the corners by hand and then I believe I over heated it.  

Then on one part I pressed it against an uneven table and made an indentation.  Going to order some more ABS strips from Trooperbay and work on something else in the mean time.

:unsure:

20160518_124011.jpg

• Like 1

Rick, try to re-use them.   Just try again using the heat gun.   It took me three tries to get to sit well into the chest plate.   My last resort was to boil it in hot water and then form it into the plate.

• Like 2

Well I tried doing the strips for the wings this morning and.....uh, I need a new gameplan.  tried to fold the corners by hand and then I believe I over heated it.  

Then on one part I pressed it against an uneven table and made an indentation.  Going to order some more ABS strips from Trooperbay and work on something else in the mean time.

20160518_124011.jpg

It took me a couple tries to get it right. Patience and breath lol. You're doing great

• Like 1

Well here's a winner, Hopefully.  What do you guys think, is it a go?(no I haven't glued it).

Bottom:

20160519_182033.jpg

Top:

20160519_182103.jpg

Front:

20160519_182133.jpg

Space in between (3mm):
20160519_183412.jpg

Attached by magnets:

20160519_183203.jpg

Shall I proceed with gluing?

• Like 1

Well I tried doing the strips for the wings this morning and.....uh, I need a new gameplan. tried to fold the corners by hand and then I believe I over heated it.

Then on one part I pressed it against an uneven table and made an indentation. Going to order some more ABS strips from Trooperbay and work on something else in the mean time.

20160518_124011.jpg

Where do these pieces go?

well i've been behind schedule, home need some repairs and got a graduation party this week but managed to pull up my big boy pants and go for it.

20160523_114958.jpg

20160522_175517.jpg

and also started the biceps

5a9c443d-ddd6-4d66-a3c0-9fbedb639413.jpg

Tada!

20160523_114921.jpg

Sorry, got so excited I forgot to take individual side view and gap measurement pics. 

I got set back on the forearms, looks like I really do need a belt sander, I cant seem to even out a side of the fore arm to begin adding the cover strips, 

and I also can't finish the center chest piece because I need to sand it down a bit.  Going to ask around to borrow one here in town. I might move on to thighs and shins.  

One of the small challenges is being able to have plenty to glue so the mix nosle's on the glue gun don't go to waste on just 1 thing.  that makes you really

quadruple check to see if what you're about to glue is correct, and not just doing a bunch of pieces to save a nosle. 

Edited by Starfox2010
  • Like 1