Jimmiraquois First Order Stormtrooper Build

Are you using the three-layer belt or just rubber material?

Also, I haven't seen Jim's boxes in person - are they solid blocks?

Edited by JAFO

Are you using the three-layer belt or just rubber material?

Also, I haven't seen Jim's boxes in person - are they solid blocks?

i will have a nylon belt under this.  also i'm thinking of adding foam to thicken it up (like in Ukswrath's build)

The boxes are solid.  but hollow inside.

Definitely recommend the middle layer. I added it to the belt kit I sell. It gives more thickness and boxes sit better on the armour. It's also considered screen accurate

If you don't want to drill the boxes you're pretty much left with sticking/glueing as your best option. I would think magnets or Velcro would provide the best option.

• Like 2

Got my imperial gaskets assembled and strapped up.  These are the rubber ones, and they are super HOT and not very comfortable.  I will only be using these for approval pics and possibly trading card photos, as they look great!  sacrificing comfort for appearance until the fabric gaskets show up.  Oh, and my TK trading cards showed up today too  :D

20160514_220453_zpswettnyx4.jpg

20160515_230755_zpsedezhtbf.jpg

20160515_230743_zps00vjxwbj.jpg

20160515_230024_zpsqz0slfxl.jpg

After a lot of frustration with the orange peel on my TD and belt box, i was able to sand down everything (which was very time consuming) and fill in some missed pinholes with apoxie sculpt.  I literally just laid the paint down in this pic.  several VERY LIGHT coats.  i hope it stays this nice  B)

20160516_130501_zpszciyzgv5.jpg

• Like 5

Any update on what you plan to do with the belt?? I'm in the same position as yourself and about to start but unsure how/what to do

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I still need to paint the horizontal boxes black on the bottom halves. I'm thinking of using a combination of belt loops on the back of the boxes and velcro. Will keep you guys posted. I do know that I want to avoid drilling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Thanks.. am thinking the same... I'm thinking belt loops made with 25mm black nylon.. how or what are you thinking with velcro... to keep the belt against the cod and butt plates? or.. wish the belts where a bit easier.. lol... I have ordered a load of Chicago screws and was thinking of going that route.... but how to attach them through the belt and onto the boxes??? Hrmm

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Shoulder bells are now attached using two nylon straps on each bell.  They are connected to the yolk via snaps on both ends.  I'm not sure whether or not i want to have the bells attached to the biceps at all at this point.  I may just leave them free floating for more arm movement.  Getting the biceps over the rubber gaskets was a pain in the an impolite person.  They still need to be an inch or two higher up, but the gaskets cant get any tighter on me.  I literally had to lube up the gaskets with vaseline to slide the biceps up!  LOL

anyways, i'm hoping the fabric gaskets i have coming will be easier to work with (and not as thick)

20160517_224945_zpsabykjkp8.jpg

20160518_143614_zpshuwjez05.jpg

20160518_143632_zps9xzlc3mm.jpg

How tight are planning to fix the chest and back plate to the abs. What i mean is, will you still be able to move your upper body so that chest and abs can move separatly (like seen in some scenes in the movie)? or will they be so tight together, that it will basically be one big block over your upper body down to your stomach. I hope i phrased that question clear enough.

Reason why i ask is, i have been trying to not have it quite that tight, to be able to move a bit better, but that gave me problems with bizeps and chest rubbing real hard.

For attaching the TD, i am using 2 long strips of industrial strength velcro.  Easy enough.  i might add snaps to the inside of the abs and have nylon wrapping over the top and glued to the TD.  2 long strips of velcro and it's stuck on there pretty good though.

20160519_210914_zpsreewrvzk.jpg

I noticed the opening in the back wasnt dead center on my back, so thats why the TD looks askew.

20160519_211154_zps95rjajst.jpg

• Like 1

I'm getting so close! I wanted to try everything on tonight. I'm actually amazed i was able to suit up this much on my own. I'll definitely need a helper on troops.

Things to do still:

• Widen the shins
  • Assemble the belt
  • Assemble and figure out how i'm gonna attach the spats
  • Minor tweaks for keeping everything in place better

20160519_215307-1_zpss21exjqm.jpg

Yes, I know the yolk is poking out the side there... I'll add a strap connecting each yolk piece.

Edited by steamboatphan
  • Like 3

My fabric gaskets are coming either tomorrow or the next day.  After trying all this armor on, I can truly say that having breathable fabric instead of rubber will make a WORLD of difference!  I went to http://www.fnarmour.com to buy the gaskets. They were $100 bucks plus 50 something dollars for express delivery (10 days or less).  They ship from Ireland.  This site also makes vacuum formed  ABS armor, although there is a lot of speculation going around that they may be a re-caster.  Don't know... don't care... I got Jim's armor, and am really happy with it so far.  And hey, you cant re-cast gaskets ;)

Pics to come when they show up!  

Edited by steamboatphan
  • Like 3

How tight are planning to fix the chest and back plate to the abs. What i mean is, will you still be able to move your upper body so that chest and abs can move separatly (like seen in some scenes in the movie)? or will they be so tight together, that it will basically be one big block over your upper body down to your stomach. I hope i phrased that question clear enough.

Reason why i ask is, i have been trying to not have it quite that tight, to be able to move a bit better, but that gave me problems with bizeps and chest rubbing real hard.

Just bringing this up again, because it might have been overlooked, and i am really interested in your opinion :)

Just bringing this up again, because it might have been overlooked, and i am really interested in your opinion :)

I have 2" elastic connecting the chest to the back piece. At 220 lbs, the ends of each piece touch perfectly together. Also, to prevent paint scuffs, I added some soft side velcro to the inside of the chest plate (bottom center). I hope that makes sense.

Wow, very informative.  I received Jim's armor yesterday.  I guess he forgot to tell me about the dropbox with instructions.  Thanks for posting it.  Now I know where to start.  At the moment  it looks like Jim's helmet is lost in shipping.  Th body armor arrived and the tracking showed it but the tracking number of the helmet does not show up.  I think it never got logged in and they took it there but we will see.  I have a long way to go and I am on the waiting list for Imperial gaskets.  

Thanks for posting and recording your journey.  

• Like 2

My fabric gaskets are coming either tomorrow or the next day. After trying all this armor on, I can truly say that having breathable fabric instead of rubber will make a WORLD of difference! I went to http://www.fnarmour.com to buy the gaskets. They were $100 bucks plus 50 something dollars for express delivery (10 days or less). They ship from Ireland. This site also makes vacuum formed ABS armor, although there is a lot of speculation going around that they may be a re-caster. Don't know... don't care... I got Jim's armor, and am really happy with it so far. And hey, you cant re-cast gaskets ;)

Pics to come when they show up!

(Newbie gets exposed to term "recaster"... researches forums... holy cow people go nuts over it.)

Jim's armor is cheaper anyway, plus he's vetted. I can't wait to get my set. My ANOVOsS bucket comes next week. I have a PM to send you with more questions shortly.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks but i meant how tight are you going to build chest and back to the abs?

the chest plate literally lays right on top of the ab section.  there is MAYBE a millimeter or two gap. (this is why i have the soft side velcro under the chest plate to avoid scuffs)

the back piece is also laying right on top of the TD.  So to answer your question:  its a tight fit.

• Like 1

I've been toying with ideas all week on how i'm going to attach these boxes to the belt without any drilling... and I think I've got it. This is a "rough idea", but I can't seem to find anything wrong with it so far.

87eca55c843a693c40cea1a7c5b4bade.jpg43319159b79016d6c5e2f94a1ce89294.jpg

Now, the sticky side of the velcro goes onto the boxes with the help of some CA glue, so that it won't go anywhere. Then, all I have to do is punch holes in my belt accordingly. I can also add soft side velcro to the belt under the boxes.

Lemme know what u think. Gonna start assembly tomorrow.

Edited by steamboatphan