Jason10012's AM 2.0 Build Thread

As my canvas belt will be here from TKittell tomorrow I wanted to make sure that my ammo belt was ready and that all I had to do was attach it. Using this diagram I found on FISD I trimmed it in preparation of mounting it.

tapatalk_1463282818120_zpsyj7izjwz.jpeg

20160514_222950_zpsigwqp3uz.jpg

20160514_222955_zpsrjjkigz9.jpg

Next up was to finalize the elastic connections between my biceps and forearms

20160515_140304_zpsgq6ua1pg.jpg

The last update for the day was to place some high density foam behind my left thigh and some to the front of my left shin in order to help keep the diamond plate from sliding underneath. I taped the foam in place first to ensure that I had the thickness correct and I had it in the right location.

20160515_140317_zps3rp1hhfz.jpg

20160515_140308_zpstwsinodu.jpg

A couple of the things I've learned through my build that I'd like to point out is that if you think its hard to separate earth magnets try doing so with a touch of glue between them. I made sure to clean them off before stacking them after that. Clamps....if I'd only knew when I started how many I'd really need. I started the build with 10, now near the end I have 64 and could still use more. My garrison mates at Alpine have been the biggest help being able to attend a couple armor parties and just having those extra hands to help hold and size my armor. I'm still hoping for one final armor party to meet with them for some final adjustments with my armor on before I paint it.

I'm looking to get my approval mid June if everything continues as it is now. I still need to get my pauldron and I havent ordered my pouches yet but I'm on the waiting list.

My belt from TKittell was waiting for me in the mail box when I got home. I ordered an off-white color for the TD. 

20160516_175017_zpsghw2qyu1.jpg

It was wrapped up in some plastic to protect it during shipping I removed it to take the picture, and I especially like the attention to every detail.

20160516_175002_zpspfgjh93v.jpg

Now that I have the canvas part of the belt I can get to work. I made sure to leave this note on the belt that TKittell had placed on it until I had it secured in the middle to the ammo belt so I wouldn't put it on wrong.

20160516_181222_zpszzzrpawk.jpg

First I folded the belt in half carefully so I wouldnt snap the plastic liner that he installs between the layers of fabric, then using my ruler I measured the halfway point creating a center mark where the center of the ammo belt will mount.

20160516_181218_zpsoglm4qno.jpg

Using a soldering iron I burned a hold through the belt and secured the ammo belt to the canvas belt using a pop rivet. I made sure to use washers on the back of the belt to help secure the rivets.

20160516_183057_zpsweerbjh4.jpg

Now that the center is secured I taped the ammo belt to the canvas to keep it straight and aligned, then I put on my compression suit and my torso armor pieces and after rubbing the right side male snap on the abdomen with a pencil I held the belt in the center, using the rivet as a guide, I pressed the belt onto the snap in order to make a mark. Now that I have the location of the snap I burned a hole through the belt with the soldering iron again. I took off my armor and set a female snap into the belt.

I rubbed a pencil onto the left male snap on the abdomen and then put my armor back on again, after snapping the right snap into place I pulled the belt tight and making sure that there was a little bit of overlap on the center ab location, pressed the belt onto the other snap making another mark and then repeating the same process set the other female snap.

I apologize for not taking pictures during these steps but its pretty straight forward and I was just wanting to get it done.

I then for the last time tonight put my armor back on and attached the belt to ensure it was correct. While I was at it I attached my arm pieces and took some better pictures with all the views.

20160516_190943_zpslhu6pgyx.jpg

Left arm spacing

20160516_190954_zpsshrfksyo.jpg

side, I think this is the first picture that shows my shims that I had to add

20160516_185848-1_zpsaqnfvfec.jpg

right arm spacing

20160516_191015_zpsvdzsrth8.jpg

20160516_185838-1_zpsjzgp2htf.jpg

back

20160516_185925_zpsuk80tbrn.jpg

I still need to do some final trimming and fitting now that I have everything completed and I'm hoping to meet up with someone in the garrison one final time this weekend to get any final fitting suggestions and submit some better pictures to my GML so she can let me know what I need to fix prior to me doing the weathering.

Now that I have the belt finished I just need to do one final thing. the center squares that hide the rivets. I cut them down to 1" square and glued them on and clamped them down.

20160516_204314_zps2f94ltia.jpg

Stay on target, almost there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks man I'm trying. It feels good to finally be done though other than the adjustments now and the fun part of getting it dirty. I already have the paints just need to wait till Mark is available.

Shims look good. You may want to go back and consider swapping the shoulder straps to elastic instead of nylon. It's ok for basic approval though if that's all you're aiming for. Gap from the shoulder bell to shoulder straps are fine.... only TKs need to be touching. Once you have a pack and pauldron on, it's hard to tell let alone try to get them touching. For your knee plate issue, put a piece of foam on the top of the shin and put another on the back of your thigh.

Shims look good. You may want to go back and consider swapping the shoulder straps to elastic instead of nylon. It's ok for basic approval though if that's all you're aiming for. Gap from the shoulder bell to shoulder straps are fine.... only TKs need to be touching. Once you have a pack and pauldron on, it's hard to tell let alone try to get them touching. For your knee plate issue, put a piece of foam on the top of the shin and put another on the back of your thigh.

Thanks airborne, I have the elastic and I'm wanting to go for at least PO so I need to switch it I just havent had the ambition to do so with just wanting to be finished. But now that I'm done I need to revisit them and actually do it.

As far as the foam I already did exactly what you said I just havent put my armor on yet to confirm I used the right thickness yet but I plan to this week as I eliminate some armor bite.

Thanks for the other feedback that's good to know and helps. I'm glad I'm on the right path.

Edited by jason10012

No problemo! You'll need a few troops to fine tune armor bites. I'm still making small adjustments here and there for comfort. I'll never be able to sit down or run but I'll at least be comfortable standing and interacting with people during troops. 

Simple update tonight as the only few things I completed was to clean up the glue from the snap covers on the belt, painted the 6 rivets on the abdomen and kidney pieces as well as the 2 snap rivets on the thigh ammo belt white and placed some velcro on the top of my boots to help hold down my shins

In order to reach higher levels of accuracy I removed the nylon shoulder straps and replaced them with elastic. I did double check to ensure what I was using was accepted at the higher levels first.

I measured the nylon and cut the elastic the same length and then placed them on top of each other and marked the sew on snap location with a pencil. Then one side at a time I removed the snap and sewed it back onto the new shoulder straps. Once both sides were complete I pulled off the nylon and glued the elastic back on.

Still need to do the female snap at the end which I'll do tonight.

About the only thing left I need to do in order to reach PO (level 2) is add the chest original strapping screws and get my pack built.

Edited by jason10012

Ok finally a real update to my build thread. LoveMonkey was gracious enough to help me out this morning and take a good look at my armor and take a couple pictures for me. The orange pauldron and shoulder pouch are also his, and we put them on me so we could get a better idea of what my costume could look like. 

20160521_101632_zps0l2yih5w.jpg

20160521_101703_zps456musoc.jpg

20160521_101647_zpsdahvxopa.jpg

20160521_101654_zpswxoouazm.jpg

I need to add more foam to my shins to keep them from spinning, especially the left shin with the sniper plate. I'm probably also going to trim about 1/2" off the bottom of my shins asas well so I can get them to sit a little lower on my boots so I can walk, and I need to trim my forearms more as I'm getting a nasty bit of armor bite on my right forearm.

20160521_103239_zpstlbfuz4t.jpg

In the home stretch now, hopefully not too much longer before I can finally do my submission photos. I've sent these pictures to my GML for her to review as I've done periodically throughout my build so shes current with my progress and so she can have me make any changes that need to be done so I can make my approval that much easier. 

Looking good Jason. Maybe one day mine will come.<br>

Thanks again for letting me hang out with you guys at the library. I had alot of fun. Next time I will be prepared to spot for you guys.

Edited by Kaar121
  • Like 1

Looking good Jason. Maybe one day mine will come.<br>

Thanks again for letting me hang out with you guys at the library. I had alot of fun. Next time I will be prepared to spot for you guys.

It will come sooner than you think trust me.

The pleasure is all ours kaar, even though I haven't been involved for much more than 5 months now I've loved every bit of it even as a spotter.

Take that pauldron off until you dirty that armor! It's like staring into the sun it's so bright. 

lol I completely agree that's why that will be the last picture I post of my armor till I get it dirty this Sunday. Once I finish weathering I'll post more pictures once I get my own pauldron and pouches too. I still like the look of the original TK's but the more I work towards and build the TD the happier I get. I love how much different each TD is compared to the TK's.

l still like the look of the original TK's but the more I work towards and build the TD the happier I get. I love how much different each TD is compared to the TK's.

You can thank me later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just need Jason to get his approval and need Kirk to get his PO status!

Hopefully I'll be able to submit for approval soon. My pouches should arrive today so the only thing I'm waiting on is my pauldron which I'll have to weather later once it arrives.

Kirk should be able to get PO status easy with just those couple minor corrections too. I'm planning to submit for PO as well and I've been looking at SWAT but that will be down the road a little bit if I decide to do it.

I absolutely love my Blaster pouches. It killed me when I had to take some sandpaper to scuff and weather them up. Just did a little sanding on the edges. I used brown acrylic paint and also kicked them around in a dirt patch for weathering. 

I absolutely love my Blaster pouches. It killed me when I had to take some sandpaper to scuff and weather them up. Just did a little sanding on the edges. I used brown acrylic paint and also kicked them around in a dirt patch for weathering.

I can fully understand not wanting to weather them, he's done some amazing craftsmanship and it's a shame we have to do it.

Its been awhile I know but here's the latest. I finally managed to get it dirty with help from a fellow garrison member, Mark. I cannot begin to thank him enough for his help I think it looks amazing. 

The green lenses are not in the bucket due to us painting it but it doesn't matter till I submit. Just waiting on my pauldron still and I can submit for approval.

CAM010391_zpsybufdutn.jpg

CAM010431_zpseyvlgljw.jpg

CAM010401_zpswunsttye.jpg

CAM010421_zps8ujfg5jq.jpg

CAM010441_zpsow49tuww.jpg