SpiceCredits ANH Stunt Build Thread [AP]

The excess paint can be removed with a q-tip dabbed lightly in paint thinner or mineral spirits

Totally. I've been doing that, but what you are seeing is small amounts of paint from doing that that have sunk into the sanding of trying to sand out the initial scratches made from cutting out the buttons from the masking tape while applied to the ABS (which is what started it all)...dumb move! I would be in the clear, had I not taken that approach. I guess I thought I could cut light enough to only separate the tape, but nope...lolol

Normally that way of paint clean up works like a charm for me, but not when I've created micorscopic dips and valleys for it to find an stick into. :(

You could carefully sand the paint off and start over. Take it down to a thin layer then use thinner to get most of the rest off. Doesn't have to be perfect as you'll be covering it back up with paint again.

What you are looking at now is the result of that. :( It didn't go as planned. The scratches made by the exacto were deep (which already started to have paint set into from the first try) and too close to the rise of the buttons, so I had to sand pretty rigorously. Afterwards I used Novus, but it didn't seal the scratches that were made well enough. I chose to paint white over the area to help when laying down the new coat of paint also. After the new paint and while cleaning with thinner and toothpick, some of it had just seeped more into the sanded areas, etc. Its just a nightmare.

I mean I guess I could give it a third try, but I don't think it's going to get me to pass Centurion, and that's what I am aiming for. I might as well try  to find a new peice, do it right, and save my self the headache of trying it again and not getting the result I want. 

Thanks for the suggetions and help! I appreciate it! :)

Might be too late at this point but have you tried ABS paste to fix some of those deep scratches. You have to be super careful with applying it but I've seen it work wonders. russelr2d2 has a great tutorial on how he did it in his ATA build. I haven't had to do it..... yet, but I will be using it to fill the gaps on the forearms and such when I get there.

Jim

• Like 1

Might be too late at this point but have you tried ABS paste to fix some of those deep scratches. You have to be super careful with applying it but I've seen it work wonders. russelr2d2 has a great tutorial on how he did it in his ATA build. I haven't had to do it..... yet, but I will be using it to fill the gaps on the forearms and such when I get there.

Jim

That's an idea! :) I've worked with ABS paste a couple times before, but haven't even thought about it for this. I may give it a try, but at this point I don't think there is anything I can do to get it looking good enough for Centurion. I feel like it's just going to look over-worked. I'm going to set it aside for now and come back to it. I'm just too frustrated with it at the moment. lol :P 

It would be a PITA though trying to wet sand those tiny radius back into the shape of the button. lolol

Here is the pic of the ab buttons as promised. Looking at them now, they don't seem to be as bad as I may have described. But they aren't the prettiest, that's for sure. lol I feel like they are worse in person.

I think my option to touch them up is going to be white gloss. Thought? Good idea? Bad idea?

IMG_4845-2_zpsbcnyubis.jpg

Also, I said I wasn't doing much tonight, but I decided to start putting my biceps together!

IMG_4846_zpsah6iqi3z.jpg

Have a picture of what you are describing?

The Ab buttons above.

Hmm, yeah even with ABS paste that will still be a mess to tackle. Was thinking you meant on the actual buttons, not the plate behind them.

I put in the upper-right-side ab, and butt snaps. I also made nylon snap plates and have begun placing them on the armor. I also have a bicep being joined there also. 

Basically I am glueing some things this weekend.

IMG_4851_zpsqbtaogh9.jpg

IMG_4850_zpsufaxpuwk.jpg

What kind of snaps are you using?  Are those Dritz?  Looks good!

No, they're fromTandy Leather. The snap only orders came with logos on them, but the ones that came included with the setter were blank.<br><br>

I just used the non-logo snaps for the ones place on the armor and used the logo ones for the inside webbing. <br><br>

I got my new ab plate from ATA yesterday as well. Time for a redo! Lol it's a little more yellow in color than my AP ABS, but oh well...

No, they're fromTandy Leather. The snap only orders came with logos on them, but the ones that came included with the setter were blank.<br><br>

I just used the non-logo snaps for the ones place on the armor and used the logo ones for the inside webbing. <br><br>

I got my new ab plate from ATA yesterday as well. Time for a redo! Lol it's a little more yellow in color than my AP ABS, but oh well...

Ah ok good to know.  Wish they sold the non logo snaps separately..looks cleaner.

• Like 3

I may not be posting anything until tomorrow. The past couple of days have been slow due to me having maintenance guys in my apartment to fix some things. I've moved my armor out of sight because you just never know. Between that and getting some album art done for my band's new album release, I haven't been able to get on much in the past couple of days. 

I plan to get back to things tomorrow. :)

Hope everyone is doing well!

• Like 3

I'm in the same boat. Except

I don't have a band.......or maintenance guys (I'm the maintenance guy).....just a wife that glares at me when she doesn't think it's the appropriate time to work on mine! So basically the same.

Jim

• Like 3

I'm in the same boat. Except

I don't have a band.......or maintenance guys (I'm the maintenance guy).....just a wife that glares at me when she doesn't think it's the appropriate time to work on mine! So basically the same.

Jim

I know that feeling, the evil stare as I browse the forums is a personal favourite, yet it's OK for her to be on her phone, going through Facebook watching funny cat videos, whilst your supposed to be watching a movie together!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Edited by CTID
  • Like 3

I know that feeling, the evil stare as I browse the forums is a personal favourite, yet it's OK for them to be on their phone, going through Facebook watching funny cat videos, whilst your supposed to be watching a movie together!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

This is happening literally right now! 0e03fdee480f036440e5b285ef406ccd.jpg

Lol!!

Sorry Spice, for the little sidetrack. :)

Edited by MoSc0ut
  • Like 3

Lol Look what I've started! :P

I didn't mind the sidetrack at all, MoScOut. I thought it was funny. It actually gave the thread some character while I've been out the past few days.

I got started on some more things today:

• Completing the other bicep
• Added inner-strips to the right forearm
• And… I have new ab buttons! [Applause]

IMG_4872_zps4u86f2ex.jpg

IMG_4873_zpst7c3nxtn.jpg

I may go to my work to pick up a package that contains some earth magnets, and tube stripe mask also, a bit later.

Edited by SpiceCredits
  • Like 1

I was going to add my tube stripes and complete the forearms to the inner-strips tonight, but my package (tube strip mask and magnets) was being held by a friend/coworker who ended up being sick today. lol I hope to have more to add tomorrow night! In the meantime, I painted my ab/kidney rivets and ear-screws white and have installed the screws back into the helmet. What was extra special about that was I ended up getting my brow a tad higher, and more-or-less where I wanted it initially! So yay! I also put the neck seal seam in the back this time, because hey… it really does look better. 

I was going to take a pic of the ear screws, but I'll wait till tomorrow and send *completed helmet pics instead. :) 

*May end up replacing the lens or doing it another way in the future, will replace foam padding at some point, and still needs fans and comm gear. I figure that's all cosmetic anyway.

Edited by SpiceCredits