Helmet electronics and external power supply Gen 4. UKSWRATH

Looks like my Brown (rj45 female) was the positive voltage & Blue (rj45 female) was my negative....opposite of the schematic. It was driving me crazy but figured it out!!!  All voltage outputs good.....will continue tomorrow on the Amp 2 & Hearing Aid regulator mods!! So proud of myself, 1st time putting together something like this and thanks to your tutorials I was able to make this happen!!!!  Thank you!!!!

Hey Albert thanks for the feedback. I'll double check my circuitry also to see if there's a discrepancy. 

If your twisted pairs are terminated differently then the color will be different than the schematics. IEEE standards with the clip facing down and looking above is White/Orange Orange White/Green Blue White/Blue Green White/Brown Brown.

If your twisted pairs are terminated differently then the color will be different than the schematics. IEEE standards with the clip facing down and looking above is White/Orange Orange White/Green Blue White/Blue Green White/Brown Brown.

As long as everyone is using the same product I'm using and the mfg hasn't changed it's design it should be the same you'd think. This is an excellent reminder to check your work.

• Like 1

So what do you guys think about this? I'm going to use an iComm as my effects module. I was thinking of modding it so that it would be powered by the XP-5 instead of that little lithium battery. It should be simple enough. I'm thinking just swap the battery out with a 3.6V voltage regulator and then hook it up to the the 5v output of the battery. Any thoughts, suggestions, or concerns?

So what do you guys think about this? I'm going to use an iComm as my effects module. I was thinking of modding it so that it would be powered by the XP-5 instead of that little lithium battery. It should be simple enough. I'm thinking just swap the battery out with a 3.6V voltage regulator and then hook it up to the the 5v output of the battery. Any thoughts, suggestions, or concerns?

Shouldn't be a problem. Here's a thread where Sly11 modded his and added an external battery. 

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/37188-modding-the-icomm-with-an-external-battery/

Also a question of curiosity. Is there a reason there aren't any capacitors used with the voltage regulators in these circuits? I thought they were used in conjunction with the regulator to help maintain a steady output voltage.

To be honest I've been using the regs without capacitors for over a year without any issues. I'm assuming the caps already on board the modified boards are sufficient.  

Gotcha and (hopefully) one last question and then I can stop being a pain lol. :D<br><br>

Why use the 5 volt regulator on the SHA? I thought it used a 9v battery normally.

The SHA is originally powered by 3AA batteries (4.5v).

You'll probably have to click a link since I'm posting on a mobile device but I've drawn a (crude) wiring diagram of my own outlining how I<br><br>

believe the voltage reg should be hooked up to the SHA. Tony could you confirm this or notice any mistakes? Thanks!<br><br>

<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff484/Machinimax05/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsfqs8n0q4.jpg'>http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff484/Machinimax05/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsfqs8n0q4.jpg</a>

Edited by Machinimax

You'll probably have to click a link since I'm posting on a mobile device but I've drawn a (crude) wiring diagram of my own outlining how I<br><br>

believe the voltage reg should be hooked up to the SHA. Tony could you confirm this or notice any mistakes? Thanks!<br><br>

<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff484/Machinimax05/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsfqs8n0q4.jpg'>http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff484/Machinimax05/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsfqs8n0q4.jpg</a>

That is correct

Keep in mind at this time I have yet to find a solution to powering the SHA with a 5v USB charger or similar. The chargers carry noise that effects the PCB operation causing a screeching. Looking to find something to filter it. 

Keep in mind at this time I have yet to find a solution to powering the SHA with a 5v USB charger or similar. The chargers carry noise that effects the PCB operation causing a screeching. Looking to find something to filter it. 

Ahh! Hence why we hook it up to the 12 volt line as opposed to the 5 volt. Gotcha.

Ahh! Hence why we hook it up to the 12 volt line as opposed to the 5 volt. Gotcha.

:duim: exactly. There's a company that sells a inline noise filter/suppressor for $50. Haven't tried it yet being I can't justify spending that kind of money on a 1" adapter with no guarantee of working.  

:duim: exactly. There's a company that sells a inline noise filter/suppressor for $50. Haven't tried it yet being I can't justify spending that kind of money on a 1" adapter with no guarantee of working.  

Yeah I think I'll stick with the regulator for now.  :smiley-sw013: Thanks again for your help! I started working on my circuit yesterday and everything is going very well!

IMG_2721_zps7j3cylyf.jpg

Edited by Machinimax
  • Like 1

Think I found the solution to power the SHA, Tony.....

http://youtu.be/Bv2vT665bGI

Think I found the solution to power the SHA, Tony.....

ah hahaha awesome, and you'll have a nice lemon scent, it's a win win, well... except for the fire part  :blink:

Very cool thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1

Great, now everyone is going to want a lemon to shove in their buckets, just like all your awesome electronics! Do they make a bracket for that lemon? :)

Jim

• Like 1

Great, now everyone is going to want a lemon to shove in their buckets, just like all your awesome electronics! Do they make a bracket for that lemon? :)

Jim

:laugh1:  working on it  :salute:

• Like 1

Jim

LOL.....im sure someone will 3D print a bracket!!!

• Like 1

Yeah I think I'll stick with the regulator for now.  :smiley-sw013: Thanks again for your help! I started working on my circuit yesterday and everything is going very well!

IMG_2721_zps7j3cylyf.jpg

Awesome, exciting to see someone else do this. Very cool